Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up on the TPS and throttle body syncing process and I have a few questions I can't seem to understand.

There are two idle stop screw, one between the TB's on the linkage, and one on the cable wheel. It seems like you use the idle stop screw between the throttle bodies to set the TPS angle (for the horizontal cylinder). What is the purpose of the one on the throttle wheel (Vertical cylinder TB)? What do you do with it after you've adjusted the one between the TB's? Is it just there to support the other?

Secondly, once you get the TPS correct and the idle angle set correctly on the Horz cylinder and you get down to syncing the two butterflies using the synch screw...won't that ruin the adjustment you just did? ...or does that sync screw only adjust the Vert butterfly relative to the Horiz butterfly (which wont move)?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
This is going from memory but....

1. You didn't mention the stop screw on the left TB (TPS side, vertical cylinder), which is good - you should never adjust it ever ever ever. Assume it is correct and then "zero" the TPS (actually, setting it to the proper idle degree setting). With the linear TPS on our bikes you should really not have to zero the TPS anyway - it is either working or not - it doesn't go out of adjustment.

2. Balance the TBs using the linkage screw between the TBs as you stated. To do this you will need to first back off the screw on the throttle cable (right) side, otherwise as you make the linkage adjustment (depending on direction) you can end up with everything supported on the throttle cable side screw instead of the screw mentioned in (1) above, which will open the vertical cylinder throttle plate. You don't want that.

3. Once the TBs are balanced, then turn in the throttle right side screw just until it is touching. You can detect that as the point where it starts to increases the TPS signal (then back it off just so the TPS signal goes back to normal). So yes, it is just "supporting" the right hand side of the linkage.

If you *did* adjust the left stop screw like an idiot (i.e., like me), then there is a trick to get it back to the correct setting. Basically, you turn it out until it is not doing anything, "zero" the TPS (sets TPS signal to correct angle), then turn the screw in until the TPS reads *twice* the correct angle, then zero the TPS again. Voila, left throttle plate at correct angle for idle and TPS set.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, great responses!

This is going from memory but....

1. You didn't mention the stop screw on the left TB (TPS side, vertical cylinder), which is good - you should never adjust it ever ever ever.
If you *did* adjust the left stop screw like an idiot (i.e., like me), then there is a trick to get it back to the correct setting. Basically, you turn it out until it is not doing anything, "zero" the TPS (sets TPS signal to correct angle), then turn the screw in until the TPS reads *twice* the correct angle, then zero the TPS again. Voila, left throttle plate at correct angle for idle and TPS set.
I described the Vert throttle stop as the "one between the TB's". I thought this was the one you were supposed to adjust using the procedure you outlined in the second quote. In LT's Desmodue guide, he says to do this before a TB sync (page162). He even issues a warning on page 153 "Follow this procedure EXACTLY and don't skip over any tasks"

3. Once the TBs are balanced, then turn in the throttle right side screw just until it is touching. You can detect that as the point where it starts to increases the TPS signal (then back it off just so the TPS signal goes back to normal). So yes, it is just "supporting" the right hand side of the linkage.
This makes perfect sense..thanks. It's confused me b/c everything references off the Vert TB, so why would there be a throttle stop on the Horz side.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Okay, sorry - I thought you meant the linkage (balance) screw, since that is also located between the TBs. My bad.

It is not normally necessary to adjust the vertical cylinder throttle stop screw. But if you want to check it using the 2x idle angle method there is no harm in that (assuming you don't mess up the procedure!). Anyway, it sure is easier than the old systems where you had to rotate the TPS to achieve exactly the correct voltage reading. That was hard! But you didn't need software to do it.

Regarding the throttle cable side stop screw, I have had Ducati mechanics tell me that they remove and discard it! I wouldn't do that personally, but I think it points out that it is in no way critical. Just make sure it is not in play when you do the balance adjustment.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks YellowDuck, very helpful!

Does turning the sync screw only move the Horz butterfly? It seems like that'd have to be the case. If you go thru all the effort to get TPS re-set w/ the Vertical @ 3.4 degees, then you do a sync w/ the Horz....you wouldn't want the Vertical to move. It'd ruin your setting, right?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Thanks YellowDuck, very helpful!

Does turning the sync screw only move the Horz butterfly? It seems like that'd have to be the case. If you go thru all the effort to get TPS re-set w/ the Vertical @ 3.4 degees, then you do a sync w/ the Horz....you wouldn't want the Vertical to move. It'd ruin your setting, right?
Right. IF you turn the balance screw in the linkage, it only moves the horizontal cylinder throttle plate *if* you have backed off the cable side stop screw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,
I'd reset TPS, because my 1000 DS has difficult in starting and under 2000rpm is very irregular.
I thing that after 42.000km the vertical butterfly screw is a little worn, the carburation goes fat and i'm encountering this problem.
I revised both throttle bodies, i found them very dirty, and the situation improved a little but not totally.
Reading this old post it seems that the idle angle is 3.4 degrees, con you confirm me this value?
Since I don't have the workshop manual I have no way to retrieve the correct value.
Even better: has someone the workshop manual for the Monster 1000 DS first version (MY 2003)?
But for this...another topic :)
Best whishes!
Dario

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
the Monster 1000 DS MY 2003 doesn't have stepper motor, it was introduced in S2R 1000 engine.
Also Multistrada 1000 DS has the stepper motor, but not my byke.
If i discover the idle opening throttle angle i can reset TPS and i think all problems would disappear.
Moving air bleed screw was the first attempt, the situation change a little in starting but not in 1500-2000 rpm range

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I'd reset TPS, because my 1000 DS has difficult in starting and under 2000rpm is very irregular.
I thing that after 42.000km the vertical butterfly screw is a little worn, the carburation goes fat and i'm encountering this problem.
I revised both throttle bodies, i found them very dirty, and the situation improved a little but not totally.
Reading this old post it seems that the idle angle is 3.4 degrees, con you confirm me this value?
Since I don't have the workshop manual I have no way to retrieve the correct value.
Even better: has someone the workshop manual for the Monster 1000 DS first version (MY 2003)?
But for this...another topic :)
Best whishes!
Dario
Did you ever find the right question for that Angle im strucleing ! with my MTS1000DS year2006 3,0 or 3,4 TPS for tps reset ??

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
the tps reset is electronic. you press the button on the diagnostic tool and it tells the ecu to allocate the tps output voltage to the value in the ecu file. you have no control over the number. if you are trying to control it then you're doing it wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts