Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any advantage to having a dry clutch versus a wet one?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Quick change/adjustment in the pits.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The list:
Dry clutches are slightly more noisy.
Dry clutches allow for the use of fewer plates, making for a more slender clutch housing, and allowing for a wider/stronger transmission.
Dry clutches tend to get hotter and wear out more quickly.
Dry clutches are easier/quicker to maintain/change out as there's no fluid to drain.
Dry clutches leave your engine oil less dirty.
Dry clutches can be left open for gearhead visual appeal.
Dry clutches are said to be more "grabby."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Purpose?

You don't say what purpose, street or track, but anytime there is a question about high performance, I always look at GP bikes because they can literally use anything they want, no restrictions. They of course use 2-sided swingarms, chain drive and dry clutches, for all of the reasons cited here already. On the street, the quiet, smooth, low-maintenance wet clutch of my Aprilia Tuono is a clear winner over my 996 dry clutch.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Dry clutches are pretty silly for the average daily riding joe. They're loud, have horrible engagement and need constant maintenance.

Personally the 848 is the best of both worlds; Superbike with a wet clutch. Not only is the engagement perfect, but the bike is quiet (not waking your neighbors when you wanna leave in the morning) the clutch will last considerably longer and its still pretty easy to replace.

For racing, you want a dry clutch because it makes changing plates, changing clutch stack height and basic maintenance, much easier to accomplish. But in racing, keeping the crank case oil away from the clutch is kinda hard. The bikes leak a small bit almost all the time and oil WILL get on the plates and destroy them eventually.

As much as I personally love dry clutches: The sound, the ease of maintenance, etc... I also think for the average joe, its out of date for street bikes. Ducati tried to sell the 1098 to non Ducatisti and one of their biggest complaints was the clutch sound, which is only a side effect of the the Ducatisti wanting it...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Personally the 848 is the best of both worlds; Superbike with a wet clutch. Not only is the engagement perfect, but the bike is quiet (not waking your neighbors when you wanna leave in the morning)
I doubt it is the dry clutch on our bikes that wakes the neighbors. :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
OK so what's a dry clutch called if you are driving in the rain?

A soggy clutch? :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
honeslty there isn't a need of a dry clutch anymore. wet clutch is just as good than a dry cluch and lasts much longer. yeah the dry clutch it's easier to access but that's because it requires more maintance.

it is also not true that dry clutches requires less plates, somebody posted that. Open the schematics of the new R6 slipper clutch, it has just as many plates as the ducati.

The real only advange is that clutch crap doesn't go in the engine, though crap does go somewhere else so you still will have to clean it and if you are not running an open clutch cover it will eventually slip because of the clutch dust.

As much as I love ducatis there is no reason for it.....

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ha listen to some of you guys, you're like the self-loathing ducatisti.

Dry clutches for life mothertruckers! :D
I ain't:p

OK I'm just being a prima donna...but wouldn't you? This thing looks awesome to me!

·
Registered
956 Posts
that clutch pack sure is puuuuuuuuuurdy!!!
Yeah I really lucked out on the combination, thanks to Bellissimoto (EVR) and Motowheels (Corse magnesium cover). But the STM wire cover takes getting used to...I was gonna start riding in a kilt to keep my pant leg from snagging...which it did ALL the time with the stock clutch...

·
Registered
347 Posts
The list:
Dry clutches are slightly more noisy.
Dry clutches allow for the use of fewer plates, making for a more slender clutch housing, and allowing for a wider/stronger transmission.
Dry clutches tend to get hotter and wear out more quickly.
Dry clutches are easier/quicker to maintain/change out as there's no fluid to drain.
Dry clutches leave your engine oil less dirty.
Dry clutches can be left open for gearhead visual appeal.
Dry clutches are said to be more "grabby."
there s a thread like this at least once a week

but I do agree with all this

on the flipside

Dry clutches last LESS longer (make you a better mechanic by hacving to do it yourself)
Dry clutches are loud and thus save lives on the street
Dry clutches are less friendly for streetability

1 - 20 of 22 Posts