Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a couple of threads mentioning this mod but nothing specific so I figure I'd ask if it's possible, what parts would interchange, how big of a headache and how deep the pocket must be to accomplish this.
I sort of miss the rattling of the clutch (call me nuts) so if it's possible and affordable I'd give it a try, I saw a couple of SF engine case on fleabay so that sparked the curiousity.
Thanks for any helpful hints!
Cheers!

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is doable, but I suspect VERY expensive. I spoke briefly with one of the guys that built Greg Tracy's Pikes Peak bike about their conversion to a dry clutch. He said it was A LOT of work to do, plus much more trial / error before getting it right. I can't remember the gentleman's name , but you may want to get in contact with the team before attempting this venture.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Wow! That Diavel looks sweet. Some seriously big bucks have been poured into that. Look at all that extra carbon! :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I sort of miss the rattling of the clutch (call me nuts) so if it's possible and affordable I'd give it a try.
Thanks for any helpful hints!
Cheers!
Here you go! All the rattle of that dry clutch at your fingertips. It'll be a really inexpensive and easy mod for you to do if you do it like this:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It is doable, but I suspect VERY expensive. I spoke briefly with one of the guys that built Greg Tracy's Pikes Peak bike about their conversion to a dry clutch. He said it was A LOT of work to do, plus much more trial / error before getting it right. I can't remember the gentleman's name , but you may want to get in contact with the team before attempting this venture.
I was talking to the pike's peak guys (prolly the same ones) at Laguna this past year about why they did...they said there are more options when it comes to adding a slipper clutch and considering the nature of pike's peak its needed.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas!

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Thanks fellas!
I hope your not giving up...I'm lazy and I rely on guys like you to blaze a trail so I can reap the benefits:D I would love a dry clutch on my MTS (for no reason other than dry clutches are damn cool)! I have a buddy here who is looking for small CNC milling projects. If your able to work out what's needed I can always have him look and see if it's something he can design and produce...He has a real job and does this stuff for enjoyment, so maybe it's affordable for us? Since you have SF and MTS in your stable you might be able to work it out? Let me know if we can help?
Ciao~ JT

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope your not giving up...I'm lazy and I rely on guys like you to blaze a trail so I can reap the benefits:D I would love a dry clutch on my MTS (for no reason other than dry clutches are damn cool)! I have a buddy here who is looking for small CNC milling projects. If your able to work out what's needed I can always have him look and see if it's something he can design and produce...He has a real job and does this stuff for enjoyment, so maybe it's affordable for us? Since you have SF and MTS in your stable you might be able to work it out? Let me know if we can help?
Ciao~ JT
Not giving up that easy!
The SFS is riding the twisties down in S Carolina right about now, at least someone is enjoying it on real roads....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. Why would you want to go to a dry clutch on anything but an all out race bike? Is it just a cool factor or something more deep seated? There is no way this is going to be an inexpensive modification in house machinist or not.

Rick

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I'll bite. Why would you want to go to a dry clutch on anything but an all out race bike? Is it just a cool factor or something more deep seated? There is no way this is going to be an inexpensive modification in house machinist or not.

Rick
SF is an all out race bike to you? Monsters pre-2008, hypers and such?
As usual I tend to go against the grain in most of the cases so I'll understand the WTF? but I do love the dry clutch, the look and the sound to me leaves the sewing machine-bee swarming noise in a different class.
As far as doable, that's pretty much the reason why I was asking the wise, I have the feeling it's just a swap, a good amount of parts but something tells me machining and custom milling is not necessary but I could also be wrong!

To most the multi 1200 is a putting around, travelling comfy, don't have to bend as much and I can add luggage type of bike, to me it's nothing other than a comfortable race bike, set on sport and that's where she stays!
Cheers!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yep

Had my rear tire " push out" going into a corner might be a bad shift or what ever. Just a nice thing to have when you might need it.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Not to split hairs, I think the 'slipper action' clutch on this bike works pretty well. There have been times that I wished it was a bit more aggressive on engine braking, but it pretty much lets one downshift with impunity. My aircooled multi would slide into curves on downshifts regularly, but I've never been able to do that on this bike.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:yeah:ha!

I knew somewhere out there someone must have done it!
Now comes the task of finding out who owns it and who did it, along what's involved.......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 103 Posts