Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas stop in Idaho on the way home from WSBK, ST takes a drop and the infamous $1000 crunch is heard.... OUCH!!!

Anyway, my left pannier took the brunt of the hit, I was able to order a new red panel to replace the chewed up one. My question is: have any of you ever removed this pannier panel? If so, how? I am not sure how this thing pops off.

P.S. not to bad a drop, left and right mirrors broke(right one due to me not letting it drop) left directional and left clutch lever, that's it!

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Doesn't beat my D'oh.

Near the end of an ideallic 3 day tour of the Belgian/German/Lux Ardennes, I decided to hop a sidewalk for a coffee break. Scraaaape. Dented my Termi header pipe.

·
7,733 Posts
There are small screws on the inside of the pannier that hold the panels on.
Keep track of the location of each screw, as some are different lengths, and if you put a long one where a short one should go, well, ... :)

·
7,733 Posts
Gas stop in Idaho on the way home from WSBK, ST takes a drop and the infamous $1000 crunch is heard.... OUCH!!!

Anyway, my left pannier took the brunt of the hit, I was able to order a new red panel to replace the chewed up one. My question is: have any of you ever removed this pannier panel? If so, how? I am not sure how this thing pops off.

P.S. not to bad a drop, left and right mirrors broke(right one due to me not letting it drop) left directional and left clutch lever, that's it!

Sounds like you got off easy plastics wise. How did you find trying to pick it up? When I dropped mine, I could not lift it back up by myself. :(

·
Destinations are optional
576 Posts

·
7,733 Posts
Been there, done that, but didn't work on my ST3. ;)

I have in the past been able to use that "walk into it" techinque or just plain muscle to lift a V-max, a FJ1200, a Harley Davidson Dyna, which all weigh more than my ST3, but I could not lift my ST3 on my own using that technique, or just plain muscle. I'm no weight lifter but I'm no wimp either, that's why I asked if he was able to right it on his own. I think it was a combination of the parking lot grade as well as having a side case on a narrow bike that made getting "under it" and leveraging it up harder than other bikes. IIRC, pulling on the lower bar did not cause the frt wheel to "lift" the bike much. Have you dropped yours and lifted it on your own? :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you need a turn signal and if it takes the same one as an ST4s I have an
extra for a few bucks (as long as you don't need the wiring)
Correction: I misunderstood original poster's description. I do not have the FRONT directional, only the rears. Sorry for the error.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Have you dropped yours and lifted it on your own? :)
Yep. Worse than that, mine was with the front wheel off. I struggled for an hour to get it up and on a creeper. I was finally able to pick the front up with the bars and my leg braced into the fairing. It wasn't pretty. Then, rolled it backwards on stacked 2x6s (three high, I think) until the center stand could be reset. Finally, a jack under the header that should have been there in the first place. No damage other than minor scrapes on the lower right fairing.

That was with the old somewhat crushed header. I need to rethink things for the next time. I really like it when the header is round. :cool:

Have a good one.

·
7,733 Posts
Yep. Worse than that, mine was with the front wheel off. I struggled for an hour to get it up and on a creeper. I was finally able to pick the front up with the bars and my leg braced into the fairing. It wasn't pretty. Then, rolled it backwards on stacked 2x6s (three high, I think) until the center stand could be reset. Finally, a jack under the header that should have been there in the first place. No damage other than minor scrapes on the lower right fairing.

That was with the old somewhat crushed header. I need to rethink things for the next time. I really like it when the header is round. :cool:

Have a good one.

That's an amazing struggle for a 500 lb bike. :eek: When I dropped mine, it was at the local motorcycle shop, and I had an admiring audience. One came over to help me, as he saw I was stuggling. I may have been able to lift it given time, but that was the first time for me where I couldn't pick up a dropped bike on first effort within a matter of seconds. There's just someting about the ST that makes it awkward to lift IMO. I hope I never drop it again. Doh!! Just jinxed mysel!! :(

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Here is my moment of cranial vapour lock.
Parked the ST3 at home in the carport. Not satisfied I decided to moved it forward 2 feet. I had the side stand down so didn't give it a thought as I hopped off, or tried to when I find I am straddling a bike that is going down. One of those oh shit moments. The bike is hanginging 6 inches from the concrete when using all the strength in my left arm I lift the sucker. Wasn't til it was almost on the stand I felt the back of my left leg go pop. Took one for the team no damage except to ego and hobbling around for three days. I hope I am smarter now, but I doubt it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts