Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting pretty heartbroken with this bike. Finally a gorgeous day here that i have off work, wake up early to ride all day.. add some oil to the engine (and proceed to spill it all down the side of the crankcase...) leaving a big puddle on the floor. Backing the bike out, i lean it away from me a bit to try to avoid the tires rolling through the oily spot on the garage floor and apparently leaned it too far because i dropped the damn thing AGAIN.. Knuckle guard busted, right fairing and tank gouged up, and I think the rear brake lever is bent but I can't remember if it angles inwards slightly or if it truly just bent from the fall. Both times Ive dropped this damn thing have been 0 mph, and have cost me over 400 to fix now each time. I really need to get some frame sliders or engine guards or something. It is really letting the wind out of my sails. Ive had several several bikes that haven't been brand new and haven't been ones I've cared about and haven't been red and italian, and I've never dropped them... But this brand new, red, italian, bike that I wanted to be my "long term" touring bike.. Ive dropped twice in the last 6 months.

Can anyone take a pic of the rear brake lever from the top down so I can see the orientation... thanks

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
That sucks... the only time I dropped the bike trying to move it was exactly the same (luckily I was on grass and got off with a bruised ego). Now I sit on the bike to maneuver it or on rare occasion I have to move it standing next to it I lean it right into my hip. It doesn't take much lean angle away from you for it to get away.

I'm not back to town until friday so can't get a pic but I'm sure someone will.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Did the same thing last year so I understand your frustration. Here are a couple of pics I took. Hope these help.

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
I also generally try to avoid moving the Multi much without being on the bike. It's an unwieldy motorcycle to move otherwise; not because of the weight, because of the overall height combined with the wide bars. I would rather walk an ElectraGlide than a Multistrada, provided I was on a flat surface.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I feel your pain having done so myself with the Panigale.
My garage has a sightly forward slope. For the life of me, I had left the small carpet I previously used under the bike for winter storage.
Consequently the bike was more upright than usual where only the side-stand was on the carpet. As I reached rearward to grab my pit-bull stand the bike fell over in what seem to be an endless slow motion. NOooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Im getting pretty heartbroken with this bike. Finally a gorgeous day here that i have off work, wake up early to ride all day.. add some oil to the engine (and proceed to spill it all down the side of the crankcase...) leaving a big puddle on the floor. Backing the bike out, i lean it away from me a bit to try to avoid the tires rolling through the oily spot on the garage floor and apparently leaned it too far because i dropped the damn thing AGAIN..
Ugh; sorry, I feel for you. I thought I was going drop mine into my 916 the other day when I stumbled over my tire inflator.

I also generally try to avoid moving the Multi much without being on the bike. It's an unwieldy motorcycle to move otherwise; not because of the weight, because of the overall height combined with the wide bars. I would rather walk an ElectraGlide than a Multistrada, provided I was on a flat surface.
Yeah, at 5'8" (only in the morning), I find it unwieldy because the CG is relatively high. My sketchy moments are either in the garage, pulling up where the surface is iffy or where I'm off balance; tippy toes all the way for me on my 2014 which is, apparently, the tallest of the recent years. My wife rode pillion yesterday for the first time in a year and it was hard work holding the bike up with her clambering on/off.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
I never buy a bike that doesn’t fit me. I don’t “ do “ tippy toe. Last year I dumped my Monster trying to remove it from the stand with no help. It was a stupid thing to do, and it bit me in the ass. I vow that someday I’ll quit doing stupid stuff. ( date to be determined)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I never buy a bike that doesn’t fit me. I don’t “ do “ tippy toe. Last year I dumped my Monster trying to remove it from the stand with no help. It was a stupid thing to do, and it bit me in the ass. I vow that someday I’ll quit doing stupid stuff. ( date to be determined)
I learned to deal with it, for now, because the Multi otherwise works for me, although the profile of the PR5 (which I really like) seems to have raised the bike compared with the Angel GT. Around town I set it into Urban with low preload and switch to Touring or Sport when I'm on the move. I haven't dumped it in 5 years, touch wood. The most fun was a DRZ400 I used to own - I had to slip one butt cheek way off the seat to touch down on that :surprise:

But yes, it's limiting and a little frustrating: I don't bother looking at a KTM, for example, because I'll never get on it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
First time I got mine on the floor I moved to the head of the class. Turned over lift table. Took me hours to get them separated and when I did my old back could not get the bike up alone. Finally got it up by sticking a 6’ long piece of pipe into the rear axle hole and using that as a pry bar.

(The lift table lowered while I was not with it (my fault) and caught the edge of my shop stool that apparently rolled under it. That caused the table to lean as the bike came down and tipped it. Took out the mirror and hand guard but otherwise ok. All my plastic was off for servicing at the time. Still, scary and expensive lesson learned)

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
First time I got mine on the floor I moved to the head of the class. Turned over lift table. Took me hours to get them separated and when I did my old back could not get the bike up alone. Finally got it up by sticking a 6’ long piece of pipe into the rear axle hole and using that as a pry bar.

(The lift table lowered while I was not with it (my fault) and caught the edge of my shop stool that apparently rolled under it. That caused the table to lean as the bike came down and tipped it. Took out the mirror and hand guard but otherwise ok. All my plastic was off for servicing at the time. Still, scary and expensive lesson learned)
Woah, you win. That is a sad state of affairs

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote: It is really letting the wind out of my sails. Ive had several several bikes that haven't been brand new and haven't been ones I've cared about and haven't been red and italian, and I've never dropped them... But this brand new, red, italian, bike that I wanted to be my "long term" touring bike.. Ive dropped twice in the last 6 months.

This ^^^^is exactly why I haven't put my pristine NOS tank on my Monster. The big ugly dent and scrape on the left side of the tank is my drop deterrent. As soon as I put the new tank on I am guaranteed to drop it the first time I touch it.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
But this brand new, red, italian, bike that I wanted to be my "long term" touring bike.. Ive dropped twice in the last 6 months.
Ugh. Sorry to hear this. At least you're not alone. With the average age of riders getting up to 50, lots and lots of bikes are getting dropped these days. I'm pretty fit and strong, but now that I'm over 50, I just don't have the sense of balance I used to have - either on or off the bike. :(

Along those lines ... I used to scramble up 40 foot ladders like a monkey. Not a care in the world. Now, all of a sudden, I'm afraid of heights! Just part of aging I guess. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
My multi has been down once... in the garage as well. Put the side stand down but didn't investigate to ensure it really was down. I guess it didn't make it past the spring point and snapped back up without me realizing it. Hopped off and it just toppled over. Thankfully my beast of a KLR was next to it and took the brunt of the fall. Got away with only a little scratch on the black plastic of the mirror...

Now I always look at the side stand before leaning it to the side.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Too many horror stories to tell but one that sticks in my mind was the customer who picked up his brand new St series ducati at our dealership on a wooden flat bed trailer. it was raining and on the way home he looked in the mirror and the bike had lost the right side straps and flipped upside down outside the trailer wheels so he was dragging his new bike down the road upside down outboard of his trailer. :surprise:

For me it was
1. surprising he did not crash his car after seeing that.
2. how little damage was done, the rear passenger rail took 90% of the rear damage and the upper fairing /mirrors got the rest. I do not remember changing either side fairing.

Tips and spills happen with 2 wheels I see them enough I just prepare as best I can and move on after they happen. That said making too heavy bikes too tall does not help any of us I hate loading water/multis onto the dyno for this reason.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,309 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Used a step ladder in my garage to grab something from the rafters.

Proceeded to open the garage door which hit the very top of the step ladder, that went crashing into the corner of my gas tank.

Argh. :mad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rear brake, not front. But it's the thought that counts...:wink2:

Yes, thank you for the pics my front brake lever seems to be fine just scratched, its the rear that I need a visual of.

Also, Im not gonna replace the fairing or knuckle guard this time till I get the crash bars installed. And I can't afford to fix it till later this summer now anyway, too many other irons in the fire for me. Its ridable with some JB weld holding the hand guard together, and i can angle my foot inward enough to use the rear brake (altho with as useless as it is, i don't hardly need it)

SW Motech looks like the brand I'll be getting, hoping for red but i'll take black if its what's in stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oops , I’m a idiot. I’m still feeling the effects of jet lag from my trip to Australia. Here’s a pic of the rear brake lever.

IMG_2675.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 76 Posts