Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I drop SPS cams in my 996 can I simply run the SPS Eprom or will I run into issues because of valve sizes? (fuel/air)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Will it run? - probably. Will it have optimal AF wo/PC3 and a custom map - probably not.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I understand the idea of doing things "right" but a 996 will work fine, not optimal, on an open exhaust 916 eprom and the differences between engines is more than valve size and cam duration. (yes I know they have the same cams) I am familiar with BB's reports and thought about the 1026 stroker then saw in his report that my time and money would have been wasted on that project.

Cost for SPS, R, or Veetwo cams plus the PC-III, adjustable pulleys, and dyno time is disgusting. If the drop in with a SPS eprom would be a good start I would consider getting cams and spreading the cost of the other bits out so it can be done "right" later. I don't have $2k to wiz out all at once.

I'm bored with the 996 and no matter how I approach it there is no point in putting money in it to make it more fun. I guess maybe just HC pistons and squish if it will make the engine less, how should I say, like a drone. My purpose isn't more power, I don't need it. Maybe the day has come for a different engine or bike.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you don't want more power, there is no point changing cams, A1 Strada cams are best for practical power.

If you are tired of your 996 engine, sell it to me, I can find plenty of things to do with it.

With SPS cams, if you don't have FIM EPROM on your 996, you will need PCIII to increase fuel.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't want more power, there is no point changing cams, A1 Strada cams are best for practical power.

If you are tired of your 996 engine, sell it to me, I can find plenty of things to do with it.

With SPS cams, if you don't have FIM EPROM on your 996, you will need PCIII to increase fuel.
Thanks

FIM UM222

If I sell the engine I'll let you know.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Damn... riding the 853 for a day really f***ed you up! :eek:

I ...DO... get it. It's not the HP, it's the ...delivery... I doubt a cam change would help. Would lean more towards the gearbox. Would take effort, but not as much $$ to try that out.

Still thinkin'...

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about the gear box and possibly the 900SS crank to give it some pep, but I'd like to ride a 1026 before I went to all that trouble.

And yes, as a matter of fact your 853 is what has done this to me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Damn... riding the 853 for a day really f***ed you up! :eek:

I ...DO... get it. It's not the HP, it's the ...delivery... I doubt a cam change would help. Would lean more towards the gearbox. Would take effort, but not as much $$ to try that out.

Still thinkin'...
Drop in SPS cams will definately gives more HP on paper, but gear ratio change would provide the same HP with the illusion of more HP.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm running 14/42. 5th and 6th are now ok, but the gears are far too short. It's not what I want.

I may split the cases and put the 748 gear box in because I need a project. I've been weighing my crank options if I go that route, also pistons and dialing the cams while I am at it. But with that sort of time and money I could sell the 996 engine purchase and install a 999. Either route, I have a project.

·
Registered
279 Posts
A trick we did when we were racing 996 bikes years ago was to swap the 996 primary gear with a 748 one. 996 has a 1.72-1 primary gear(basically making 6th an overdrive gear) while a 748 has a 2-1 gear.This might explain some of the gearing "feel" that you have riding a 748 bike over a 996.Easy to do.With the right gear puller:p

·
Registered
567 Posts
If I drop SPS cams in my 996 can I simply run the SPS Eprom or will I run into issues because of valve sizes? (fuel/air)
SPS EPROM will not work as 996BP has P16 ECU and 996SPS is P8 ECU.

Valve size are the same. Only difference is the exhaust. 996SPS has a 50mm and it is not a very good exhaust. Brad Black can supply a EPROM. TomTom might be able too.

Jocke......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts