Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

Everything is on the title. I got Ducati ST3 handle bars with no holes at all on the bars and would like to drill them.
I know the method but do you guys have any file or image with the exact placement of the holes? Don't want to make a mistake and I would like to NOT remove the little "pins" on the commands, so it's perfectly tight and won't move.

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
One of the problems with the pin system is that it may not put the control where it would be optimized for you. This is your big chance to place them where you’d like them.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Also it will allow you to rotate the angle of the bars independent from the controls and if you drop the bike it can allow the brake and clutch controls to rotate rather than breaking.

Not that we are trying to change your mind or anything.

Oh, and drilling the holes. When I’ve done it I just eye balled the two bars side by side and guessed. It’s easy to get it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hello !

Everything is on the title. I got Ducati ST3 handle bars with no holes at all on the bars and would like to drill them.
I know the method but do you guys have any file or image with the exact placement of the holes? Don't want to make a mistake and I would like to NOT remove the little "pins" on the commands, so it's perfectly tight and won't move.

Thank you!
My new ST4 bars had the holes in the wrong place but woodcraft replacement bars fit the risers fine
and are approx $15 each you can buy 6 or 7 bars for the price of one factory bar. Back before the pins
were on the controls we would put a single wrap of electrical tape on the bar under the control and it
keeps them from moving still works fine if you decide to remove the pins.

·
Registered
400 Posts
There's recently been a debate on the UKMOC forum on the same subject and I'll give you the same reasoning as was posted, that being that drilling holes is somewhat final in that if you get it wrong you then drill another and so on.
Cutting the nubs off won't weaken the parts but drilling multiple holes certainly will and that's why in all the installations that I've completed I've always removed the nubs and have never had any problems.

Geoff...>:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... thanks for all your inputs.
It seems like it’s a better idea to not drill those holes ?
I’m not afraid for the commands but I’ve got two points that were retaining me from braking the pins :
- what about the throttle? We’re twisting this fucker every 10 seconds, doesn’t it move without any pin?
- I don’t like to brake things that are working, especially if I sell the bike one day...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think if you grip the stud with pliers pull and twist the stud is removable and can be re fitted.
I usually remove the stud on all my bikes and move the brake and clutch levers into a position that suits me.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you decide you want to keep the pins there is a fairly easy and simple way to get the holes right where you want them. Wrap a layer of masking tape around the bar where you want to drill, very lightly attach the switch or control with the screws but just tight enough it won't fall off the bar, rotate the switch/control until it is located to suit your hand placement then tighten the mounting screws until they are snug (not so tight that you break anything!!) and the pin will emboss the masking tape leaving a mark to show you where to drill the holes. On my bike the pins were a molded on part of the switch so to remove them I had to grind them off. Be sure to center punch the bar before you grill so the bit doesn't wander on the round bar surface before it bites in.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Well... thanks for all your inputs.
It seems like it’s a better idea to not drill those holes ?
I’m not afraid for the commands but I’ve got two points that were retaining me from braking the pins :
- what about the throttle? We’re twisting this fucker every 10 seconds, doesn’t it move without any pin?
- I don’t like to brake things that are working, especially if I sell the bike one day...
I have one hole drilled in my bars and it is for the throttle I also had to drill out
the bar ends to use the factory mirrors the ST 4 bars did not work with them. So
I have 2 setups one set for the factory mirrors and one set for the CRG hindsight
mirrors it only takes a few minutes to swap them out. All of my bars are woodcraft
replacement bars got all four for less than $60 they go on sale often they had to have
the ends drilled out for the factory mirrors as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts