Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while reading through VaDu8c's "this explains a lot topic i read a comment by dspear99ca, but as i didn't wanna highjack the thread i started a new one.

he said..... i re-drained my tank...

this got me thinking.. how do you guys "drain a tank"
looking in my tank and doing some maintanance there is also on my next to do list..
but i had problems with it in the past, most likely as i was doing it wrong

-> tube in tank, bucket.. sucking motion and spitting out fuel.. leaving a really bad taste for the rest of the month and overfilling the bucket.. so i had to stop the flow (as i didn't anticipated it..) so i had to do it all over again.

any tips on this, would again be highly appreciated :D

Kindest greats

Matthieu

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is a drain plug on the left underside of the tank which would drain it nearly empty I would think. My tank is freshly Caswell coated a.d I don't want to disturb the coating so I just use a siphon. I have a bulb one so no sucking required. I don't like to taste fuel! I can pretty much dry the tank out with my siphon plus use it kind of like a vacuum as it's draining to suck up any sediment in the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Whoops, the plug is on the right side of the tank as you sit on the bike. You can see the head of the plug on the tank near the fuel pump opening in this photo

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
407 Posts
I use a few feet of surgical hose and big syringe .... works great , no issues and drains the tank enough for it's removal ....
Craig

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Use enough hose (it's cheap!) so that when you suck the fuel up you STOP a few inches before it hits your mouth. Seal it with your tongue, stick your tongue out, replace tongue with finger, drop hose into clean fuel container (I use one of those 5-gal red ones). Then just sit back and relax while the siphoning happens. Once the majority of the fuel is out, you can remove the tank, tilt it away from the drain plug while you remove the plug, then dump the rest of the fuel out through the drain hole into your container using a funnel.

If you're going to do this, you may as well replace the fuel filter if it's anywhere near time to do so... it's never going to get any easier.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use the bikes own fuel pump, remove the pressure hose and fit a length of hose to tank Barb with other end in fuel can. Then remove pump relay and bridge pins 30 and 87 with bit of wire. Wait until fuel stops flowing then remove bridge wire.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I just siphon the tank into a 5 gallon gas can using a clear hose.

The trick is to keep the hose end higher than the level of the fuel while you apply suction...once you get enough fuel into the hose, put your finger over the end to keep the gas from running back into the tank. Do this and you'll never get gas in the mouth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts