Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if I missed this... I've been searching the forums and haven't seen what seems to be a simple (albeit general) question.

How do I drain and then refill the coolant system on my '05 749 Dark? I'd like to run water wetter and distilled water for an upcoming trackday. I don't have a service manual. Is this something that can be explained easily or should I just get the manual? Beyond this and oil changes, I don't plan on working on this bike so I was trying to avoid buying one.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Take a peek at your water pump on the left side of your bike. There should be a little drain plug on the water pump housing.

I drained my bike last night.

Easy stuff.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is a drain plug at the left side of the bike..Remove the fairing and look at the 2 radiator lines...near it will be a flush plug use an allen wrench...Look at your Ducati owners manual...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I missed that in my manual? All I saw was how/where to check the coolant level. I'll look again, thanks. Is it as easy as removing the plug and letting it drain? Should the bike be warm or cool? Rad cap on or off? I read on the Evans site that you should flush the system with a water/vinegar mix before changing any coolant. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Let it cool off first unless you want 2nd degree burns when you open the drain plug.

Radiator cap off unless you want the coolant to trickle out really slowly lol.

I've never heard of the vinegar thing before.

·
Registered
272 Posts
As others have said, use the drain plug on the left side of the bike on the Water Pump Cover.

Additionally you will need to siphon the resevoir tank out.

I flushed my system (don't forget the resevoir) after draining with 10L of distilled water then replaced with the water/WaterWetter mix.

It was very easy to do.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
What am I doing wrong?

Doing the same as ademo on my 749s (replacing collant with distilled water and water wetter) but am I missing something? I was able to drain the coolant from the radiator but my expansion tank won't drain...

I removed radiator cap and drained here:

But where do I fill it from? The Manual said to fill from the expansion tank, then check levels, but my expansion tank was overflowing! Now the radiator is drained but the expansion tank is full...I've been trying to syphon the coolant but I still can't figure it out!

You can see there's still coolant in there, even though there's nothing coming out of the drain plug (it was topped off but I tried syphoning)

Sorry for stupid question from mechanically handicapped...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Expansion Tank

red_ryder said:
Doing the same as ademo on my 749s (replacing collant with distilled water and water wetter) but am I missing something? I was able to drain the coolant from the radiator but my expansion tank won't drain...
I did this yesterday. I purchased a siphon for approx. $4 from Napa to get the coolant out of the expansion tank. In total, I removed 2.5 quarts from the entire system. I filled the the radiator first (approx. 2qts.) then filled the expansion tank with the rest.

·
comrade moderator
26,824 Posts
That's probably easier than what I was going to suggest...pulling the upper and the right intake with tank and dump it that way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes-- I mixed up 3qts of water wetter and distilled water and then filled the bike.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Say, if you wanted the stock blue coolant, where can you buy that? Is it only a Ducati item, or is sold under another name? Just curious...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts