Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my gas tank the other day to remedy a loose fuel line going from the filter to the pump (hopefully that is all that is preventing my bike from running) and noticed that when I pulled the gas tank off, only the bleed nipple had a hose attached to it, not the drainage nipple. I thought that perhaps the line had popped off when I pulled the tank off, but cannot find any unattached hoses in the 'guts' of the bike. Then I thought maybe that hose got eliminated when the canisterectomy procedure took place, but reading about removing the evaporation canisters I found nothing involving the drainage hose and drainage nipple.

Any insight on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The hose/s you speak of are overflow/drain hoses that run from the two barbs on the underside of the fuel tank down the l/h side of the engine with the other (airbox) drain hoses.
You can see those two hoses ( 2 into 1 "Y") in the following picture.

They are removed from the tank by reaching under while the back of the tank is raised, and obviously put back on in the reverse order.

The only other tank connections are the two push on fuel lines and the electrical connector for the fuel pump, all at the back of the fuel tank.

Greg.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...

The only hose attached to mine was on the "bleed" side, on the first time I ever pulled the tank up myself (I actually confirmed that the hose was just a drain hose, not connected to anything else, and pulled the tank up with it still attached to the tank so I know I don't have a Y connection for both barbs)...maybe the previous owner or (non-dealer) shop I took it to for the 6k service had something to do with this. It was only after removing the tank from the bike that I even knew there were two barbs on the underside of the tank. Could this be causing any problems? I bought the bike 2000+ miles ago and have had no issues except for a loosening fuel line on the inside of the tank between the fuel filter and pump, which I've heard is a fairly common happening due to faulty clamps and would seem to be unrelated to this.

Even if this isn't causing problems, I think I'll try to get a Y connection and a little more hose from the dealership or elsewhere. Are the drain hoses just high temp silicon that I can get at a hardware store?

thanks,
josh

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Would it matter if you didn't have a hose on the drain side?

I have a problem with my gas cap assembly not draining water, the tube through the tank is blocked, and while trying to fix it, also discovered that the drain hose has a sharp bend in it and squashes flat and isn't going to let the water drain either. I haven't fixed either problem yet, but I cannot see how to stop the drain hose behaving the way it is, and was wondering why I can't just leave it off.

Rob

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not having a hose isn't necessarily a problem - the water drain hose will just drop water on the motor and shouldn't be a problem. The fuel drain hose will drop fuel on the motor which isn't a problem if you like BBQ'd balls.

Fuel should always be routed down to the ground and left or right of the rear wheel to avoid fouling the rear tire and reducing traction.

I'd definitely put a hose on the fuel drain/vent.

A hose on the water drain (if that is all it is) is optional.

Cheers,

Brett

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Thanks bshadbolt. Good point about the breather pipe and petrol getting onto the engine.

I just attacked my problem, and ended up cutting 40mm of the the drainage tube, and then after making sure the drain and breather tubes were correctly routed, had to cut 65 mm off the bottom of the common tube.

I also had to clear out the drainage tube within the tank and for this I used a short length of push-bike brake cable.

Problem now fixed.

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stuff to know...now I just need replacement O-rings for my gas lines going to and from the tank. So close to riding, if the dealership doesn't have these O-rings, I'm gonna start having withdrawal symptoms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts