Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front brakes bind really bad on my GT. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried moving the pads in and out, but as soon as I reapply the brake, they drag again.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have not had that problem but it sounds like you have sticky caliper pistons. This is a good excuse to upgrade to goldline 65mm calipers. You can often pick up a used pair for $150US on ebay...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
They will drag enough to make a sound but should not bind. Can you push the bike around easily? You may try raising the wheel off the ground and spinning it see where it binds. It's just a guess but could you have a bent rotor?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have not had that problem but it sounds like you have sticky caliper pistons. This is a good excuse to upgrade to goldline 65mm calipers. You can often pick up a used pair for $150US on ebay...
Yea that sounds like a possibility as well

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the wheel off the ground, the brakes drag on a full turn of the wheel; there is no tight spot. It seems that the pump pressure is not releasing.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Yea, they should drag, in other words the pads lightly touch the rotors. So you should be fine unless you have a tight spot while turning.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yeah, this is very hard to diagnose over the internet. Disc brakes do drag, and that is no sign of anything being wrong. However, if there is a stuck piston or a Master Cylinder problem, then they could drag way too much. If you are not familiar yourself with what is normal drag and what is too much, you probably need someone who does to take a look at it. That doesn't mean it necessarily needs to be a professional mechanic, but anyone who knows the difference will be able to instantly tell you if it's right or wrong.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The front brakes bind really bad on my GT. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried moving the pads in and out, but as soon as I reapply the brake, they drag again.
I had that! turned out I changed wheels and the small spacer was missing out of the Left hand side of the new wheel,,, was still in the old one and overlooked felt a bit funky at 100+

·
Registered
985 Posts
Had the GT off of the gound on both stands just the other day. The rear wheel turns freely, but there is very light dragging of the front. I'd consider this normal. Gas milage is hanging in there at around 53-55, so how bad can the dragging be?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
As has been reported in other threads: If you have changed your levers, or even have the stock ones, check the adjustment of the actuator rod on the lever.

Several forum members have had crashes related to locking the front wheel due to this problem. The actuator rod should allow all of the pressure to be released from the master when it is fully out. If not, the pressure can build and eventually lock the brakes.

Chances are that you have a stuck piston from dust, but better to be safe and check.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have another Ducati with the same brakes as the GT1000 and they do not drag at all, just normal light touching of the pads when you spin the wheel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
dragging brakes

I have the same problem with my 999. I've changed the lever, rotors, lines, calipers, fluid and I am still having the problem. They drag so bad the brake fluid boils. I have no idea what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I get back from a run, the brakes are fine, but after a few hours standing I can hardly wheel the bike out of the garage. The brakes on your 999 are a totally different type though, the GT has sliding calipers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts