Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving tomorrow on "US West" summer trip #1. Hopefully something like this: NM-CO-KS-NE-SD-ND-MT-WA-OR-CA-NV-UT-AZ-NM. Initially following the Missouri River out of NE (Lewis & Clark). I've got a few inmates from ADVRider.com to stop and see, plus some friends along the way...

Just got new KLIM Latitude jacket/pants...a "retirement" gift to myself. Probably not taking my lightweight gear and just using the KLIM; might be a little toasty in hot weather, but better sweat than blood, right?

MTS1200S #2 has around 16K miles on it now (recently had "desmo" service)...hopefully it'll be troublefree.

Having crashed 3 times on this bike I'm a little wary of it now, so its performance in these summer/fall trips (I've got "US East" scheduled for Sept/Oct) will tell the tale. Still, it seems to fit me best of all the possible contenders...

I'll prolly write up a trip report on ADVRider.com after I get back (at my advanced age I don't seem to have the stamina to do a "realtime" trip report anymore).

--Doc

·
Registered
144 Posts
Leaving tomorrow on "US West" summer trip #1. Hopefully something like this: NM-CO-KS-NE-SD-ND-MT-WA-OR-CA-NV-UT-AZ-NM. Initially following the Missouri River out of NE (Lewis & Clark). I've got a few inmates from ADVRider.com to stop and see, plus some friends along the way...

Just got new KLIM Latitude jacket/pants...a "retirement" gift to myself. Probably not taking my lightweight gear and just using the KLIM; might be a little toasty in hot weather, but better sweat than blood, right?

MTS1200S #2 has around 16K miles on it now (recently had "desmo" service)...hopefully it'll be troublefree.

Having crashed 3 times on this bike I'm a little wary of it now, so its performance in these summer/fall trips (I've got "US East" scheduled for Sept/Oct) will tell the tale. Still, it seems to fit me best of all the possible contenders...

I'll prolly write up a trip report on ADVRider.com after I get back (at my advanced age I don't seem to have the stamina to do a "realtime" trip report anymore).

--Doc

That sounds like a lot of fun. If you don't mind me asking, how did you crash it three times? Was it off road stuff? Just got a Multistrada and want know what to look out for.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Safe travels, Dr. Greg, holler if you ride thru So Ca.

Have fun!

·
Registered
198 Posts
[vicarious thrills] You go Doc! [/vicarious thrills]
Can't wait for the movie adaptation!!

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
Having crashed roughly 3,562 times (all but 2 in one day) on this bike I'm a little wary of it now, so its performance in these summer/fall trips (I've got "US East" scheduled for Sept/Oct) will tell the tale. Still, it seems to fit me best of all the possible contenders...

--Doc

hey Dr Greg , safe trip and avoid the soft stuff.

i found the obvious error in your post and corrected it for you.

I miss your ride reports ( *sniff* ) so if you do post in advrider be sure to paste a link .

a

·
Registered
750 Posts
All the best Doc.

Keep the rubber side down this trip k? :p :D

-SM

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hopefully you will be in Monterey end of July for the MotoGp.
Safe travel. Post pics.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey Dr. Greg, when will you coming through Northern California? If I'm around I could show you some nice roads in Marin and Sonoma County.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Hey Dr. Greg, when will you coming through Northern California? If I'm around I could show you some nice roads in Marin and Sonoma County.
Hey Dr. Greg, when will you coming through Southern California? If I'm around I could show you some nice roads in Riverside and San Diego County.

I have a room that you can stay in and a garage and tools you can use if you want to do some bid-trip maintenance.

PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Congrats on the start of a great adventure! Post up when you're going to be in Washington and I might be able to ride a few miles with you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds like a lot of fun. If you don't mind me asking, how did you crash it three times? Was it off road stuff? Just got a Multistrada and want know what to look out for.
Crash 1: during test ride, stopped to take a pic on a hill and got "overbalanced"...more of a "tip-over" than a crash. Still embarrassing on a test ride.

Crash 2: hit a patch of hoarfrost on La Manga Pass (CO 17) in November. Bike totaled.

Crash 3: hit an unexpected patch of silt on NM 126 (dirt road). Dropped repeatedly until I could get out. Ended up with $6K worth of damage. Still riding that bike.

I'll contact any of you that are near my route. Looking forward to an enjoyable and safe ride. Our favorite cat (yeah, I know, just a cat) died this morning...kind of a bummer for my departure. Oh well, it could have been our dog (I like all pets).

BTW, my total gear weight is as follows (I do not travel light):

L sidecase: 9 lb empty, 20 lb full
R sidecase: 11 lb empty, 26 lb full
T case: 9 lb empty, 25 lb full
Tank bag: 9 lb full

Total gear weight: 64 lb
Total luggage weight: 93 lb

Good think I only weigh about 145, right? :p

--Doc

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Dr. Greg, when will you coming through Southern California? If I'm around I could show you some nice roads in Riverside and San Diego County.

I have a room that you can stay in and a garage and tools you can use if you want to do some bid-trip maintenance.

PM me if you're interested.
Hey, I grew up in Hemet (CA)...actually five miles east in Valle Vista. I know ALL the good roads in SoCal. I had hwy 74 from Valle Vista to Idyllwild memorized...used to drop frat boys in Porsche 911's in my '65 GT-350 Shelby Mustant (sold in 1974 for $3750...the biggest mistake of my life). Saw a '65 Shelby hit the auction block recently and go for $385,000. Sigh.

--Doc

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, I may spend a coupla days in the Napa area, staying with a friend. Maybe I'll give you a holler.

--Doc

·
Registered
135 Posts
Funny, I was browsing the advrider forums last night, and recognized your name from the topic subject. I was thinking, hey I've seen that name before!

Have a great and safe trip. What a retirement you will have, lots of time on your hands to spend on the mighty Multistrada.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Flying Tomorrow

Well old man, you have another one here. We left Miami the Thursday before Memorial Day and wound up in Houston. Left the bike at the airport parking lot and flew home. Well, tomorrow we fly back to Houston to pick up the bike and head northwest toward Sante Fe, NM. We means, girlfriend and myself loaded up with gear. Who knows where we will wind up, since I have in mind to take the northerly route back to Quebec and then ultimately to Miami. Keep safe!!! Look for us being the only 2 up MTS with gear you may see. Sante Fe on Saturday night. Just bought a Groupon to a local restaurant. LOL :alien:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Greg,

Have a safe and fulfilling trip--it certainly sounds like it should be a fun one.

If you find yourself in need of anything while in the OC area--be it tools, food, shelter, someone to go for a ride with, or whatever else--don't hesitate to look me up.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dr. Greg trip update

Gone thru NM, CO, KS, NE, SD, and am currently in Bismarck, ND. Lotsa wind the last two days. Onward north and west!

Multi running great; I'll keep you posted.

--Doc

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got back yesterday...

Just returned from my "US West" trip yesterday: 4,400 miles. MTS1200S ran perfectly...only one glitch and it was not the bike's fault. Always amazed that the 1198 mill uses absolutely NO oil.

Anyway, I'll be writing up a RR on ADVrider.com, and I'll post a link here.

I've said that the performance of the bike on this trip and my Fall trip (East Coast) will determine whether I keep the bike. Looking pretty good so far.

--Doc

1 - 20 of 34 Posts