Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DQS was working fine a few weeks ago when i last rode my 1198. I went for a ride yesterday and nothing. Dash says it's on, it's not sensing the switch on upshifts.

Is this a "wear item" where they only lasy so long?

Im going to pull my fairings as my service light came on last ride, so ill reset the counter with VDST.

Im just curious as to where to start, the bikes 15 months old, so she's warrantied, but the dealer is 3.5 hours away, i figured i'd check the easy stuff 1st.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess i'm the 1st to have any issues with the DQS?

I'll pull her apart tonight, clean all the contacts and im thinking maybe some water got into the part on the rod that has the pressure switch??????

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Physically check the shift rod bits, but also try switching DQS off then back on and see if that works.

That last bit about on/off is a long shot to rule out S/W error - I believe your problem is most likely the switch/sensor on the shift rod, because my DQS had issues from new until the dealer adjusted/fixed that part. Perhaps your dealer can give you some troubleshooting advice at least via the phone?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 1st thing i tried on the road was the on/off reset hoping it was a glitch.

Ill take the fairings off today, it coincided with the serv light coming on. Ill call the dealer as well, theyve been extremely helpful and im hoping it's something simple, rather than a 3.5 hour trip to Albuquerque, and leave it for a week, then another trip up and back.

Ill check eveything you suggested, thanks.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved, im not 100% what caused it, but i'd guess it's the hard water we have here in NM. I wash the bike after every ride due to bugs, but i dont use high pressure.

The DQS rod was literally seized, so im guessing just enough water got in there and left some deposits, so the sensor wasnt getting any movement.

I stood the unit vertical, let some penetrating oil soak in around the joint area, and then used a 10mm wrench to break it free, moved it around some and reassembled.

It's fully functional again, i also left a dab of some ceramic bearing grease where the 2 surfaces meet to prevent or slow more water, and ill consider this a maintenance area from now on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Glad you solved it. Only problem Ive had with DQS is it popping out of gear, then I learned how to actually use it correctly and the problem is gone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The DQS requires a positive shifting, what I mean is you can't just softly shift it like when you used the clutch....you need to shift like you mean it!

I got a couple false neutral as well and it was because I was too soft :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The DQS gets better with use (or you get better at using it). I had a number of disconcerting missed shifts early on - even after the dealer adjustment that improved things, but haven't had a single one in weeks now.

I avoid using DQS from 1st to 2nd, since that's a longish throw and the DQS program doesn't seem to get the cut just right; but for anything up the gearbox from there it is just perfect now. (as long as you remember to be on increasing throttle when you shift). BTW - I don't need to slam the lever to get a good DQS up shift, I just quickly but firmly move the lever up, maintaining boot contact til I feel the cut-out.

The only thing I still need to learn is to be ready on up-shift for the surge of power. At upper mid revs when you shift up it feels like the bike drops into an instant torque gain and rockets forward, slightly unexpectedly since upper mid revs (about 7k) is still belw peak torque. Must be a dip in the curve with stock fueling that causes this effect ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts