Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems impossible for me to select neutral with DQS on and engine running either going from 1st or 2nd. Shut engine off, slips right in easy peasy.

Am I missing something or is this just the nature of the beast?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have to use the clutch like a peasant. I’m pretty sure that the engine is unload by DQS isn’t sufficient to slip it into neutral. It certainly hasn’t been in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
It took a good 5000km or so for my 1260 gearbox to free up enough to slip easily into neutral from above or below. Before that I also wondered WTF? But it came good and is as easy as the other Duc’s in our garage now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Curently riding
2012 Aprilia RS125 - simple fun
2015 Ducati Panigale 1299S - serious fun
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S - fun fun

Kent

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I've tried it with the clutch in and just can't seem to get it in neutral while engine is running. Shut it off and, boom, slips right in.

Maybe it'll loosen up as it gets broken in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I made a point of slipping it into neutral just before coming to a complete stop when it was more obliging to do so :)
Not always possible but worth doing for the first few thousand, and something I quite often do anyway when convenient. All bikes are different (from new even) but I’d be confident stating that it’ll come good the more you ride it.

Curently riding

Kent

·
Registered
709 Posts
Then I'll be patient and let things break/settle in
I'm just over 3k miles and mine sometimes is still hard to get into neutral. Also, although it's been less lately, downshifting from 3rd to 2nd w/ DQS, 2nd engages briefly before going into neutral. Get's your attention when leaned over approaching a turn and suddenly I'm in neutral.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just over 3k miles and mine sometimes is still hard to get into neutral. Also, although it's been less lately, downshifting from 3rd to 2nd w/ DQS, 2nd engages briefly before going into neutral. Get's your attention when leaned over approaching a turn and suddenly I'm in neutral.
I'm only at 300 miles.

:surprise: I bet that makes for a bit of pucker

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same thing has happened to me - not fun. It’s also very “annoying” when the QS down wont; I tend to not bother with QS down now (or only when I’m prepared for it not to work. QS up on the other hand is great (apart from the occasional false neutral due to a lazy shift on my part).

Curently riding

Kent

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got out today for a few minutes between rain showers and tried finding neutral. Well, turns out I can find it easily up and down if I do it while rolling. Stopped, meh.....not yet.

Anyway, it's all good. Having fun learning the idiosyncrasies of this wonderful machine.:laugh:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having fun learning the idiosyncrasies of this wonderful machine.:laugh:
That’s a great attitude to have Tim! You read a lot of complaints about this, that or the other, some justified, some not, but when all is said and done, Ducati’s have ”character”.

A very, very good (ex-Supermoto racer) riding buddy is a BMW mechanic (and a very good one of those as well). He’s trying real hard to love a XR1000S at the moment, but as great as the XR is, if he had the option, he’d get a Multistrada. I was pleasantly surprised when he stated that... :)

Curently riding

Kent

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Try bleeding the clutch at the master cylinder. A tiny bit of air will make the clutch drag, and finding N harder. Mine needs it at least every 6 months. Cheers
I bleed my clutch fluid system a couple of times a year for this same reason. If you put the bike on the center stand, start the engine, pull in the clutch and put it into gear, the rear wheel shouldn't spin. If it does your clutch isn't fully disengaging and will be more difficult to shift into neutral. You also may be able to adjust the disengagement further by adjusting the pivot distance at the clutch lever.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Slightly off topic as I have my DQS shut off.

However, neutral has recently become difficult to find at a stop, or while still rolling. My 1260 now has 20k miles. It was pretty smooth shifting into neutral for the last year, but now it is difficult to find.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
725 Posts
It took a good 5000km or so for my 1260 gearbox to free up enough to slip easily into neutral from above or below. Before that I also wondered WTF? But it came good and is as easy as the other Duc’s in our garage now.
Kent
I concur. I'm just under 4000 kms and finding neutral has become nearly a non-issue.
Big difference than what it was during break-in.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Then I'll be patient and let things break/settle in
The bike should easily find neutral from new. I have five different Ducatis from 2008 to 2018 all bought new.

The clutch is not completely releasing.

Bleed the master and the servo.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If it's not the rear brake , it's the clutch too?
I'll deal with those immediately following my blood transfusion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts