Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a '03 749s from a local dealer and was told that because the rearset had been upgraded to a race set, the brake light would not work if the rear brake was applied. The light does work if the front brakes are applied.

Now, having been in one accident this year (on a different bike, than god), I'm all about safety and visibility. Does anyone know of an adapter or bracket that will put the brake light switch in the right position on a De Pretto Moto race rearset that was sold by FbF in 03? I took a look on the DPM and FbF sites for the set and couldn't find it listed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Charles

·
Super Moderator
8,245 Posts
On the 74-916 bikes, the contact for the rearbrake is integrated with the master brakepump.. Is it diffrent on 999 models?

If not, then i can´t see the reason why it wouldn´t work other then the fact that the replacement brake lever doesn´t hve provisions for activating the brakelight. That´s an easy fix, just exchange the "race" brakelever with the stock one.

I, for one, never use the rearbrake in traffic witthout first activating the front brakes, so it doesn´t really matter if the rear brakelever activates the brakelight or not.

But if you could take a closeup picture of the rear brakelever incl. pump and brakelight switch, it shouldn´t be to hard to figure out a cost efficient solution to your problem.

//amullo

·
Registered
324 Posts
on my other bike.. I replaced the banjo bolt in the master cylinder with a banjo pressure switch to activate the rear brake light.

i rarely use my rear brake without the front, but due to inspection requirements the rear brake pedal must active the light otherwise the bike will fail.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Small single line Brake pressure switch:

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=116%7CDucati%20Brakes&productID=2578&showDetail=1&categoryID=475|Ducati%20Brake%20Misc&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I may be incorrect about the manufacturer

As the topic says, I may be wrong about the manufacturer of the rearsets. Regardless, I have included the requested pics of the rearset. Unfortunately, I do not have the stock rearset and I would prefer to keep the existing levers rather than replace them. I've also included a picture of the wires that used to actuate the brake light.

I know there are rare times when the rear brake will be used alone, but I would still rather have the light actuate with activation of the rear brake.

Thanks again for the assistance!
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
+1 on what Moto and Luvdog are saying.

·
Super Moderator
8,245 Posts
*humm* You can´t really see what is supposed to activate the rear brake switch.. Anyone got a GOOD pic of where the switch and lever are mounted?

I´d go with an in-line pressure switch like the one Moto put up a link to. It´s the easiest way to get it working quickly.

//amullo

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe I'm being dense...

and I apologize if I am. If the link Moto posted is to a replacement for the banjo bolt heading from the brake cylinder to the calipers as shown in the pic, then Moto has a sale.

Thanks for the answers and patience with this Duc newbie.

Charles

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,245 Posts
It is.
You need a "double" banjo bolt that has provision for doublemounting pressurelines. You can find those at any motorcycle store or any hydrallics seller. Make sure that you take the one you have with you together with the new pressure switch you purchase. The pressureswitch need to be mounted inbetween or over the existing banjo, which means that you need a double banjobolt.

Otherwise.. Making a L bracket with a hole to mount the stock switch and drilling and bolting that to the existing brakepumpbracket shouldn´t be TO hard... Kinda depends on how mechanically inclined you are. The stock switch need to be activated by that little round metal part that sticks through a hole at the bottom of the brakelever.
Like so.. (admire my beautiful paintshop job!)

//amullo

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes.. simply purchase the item that moto has linked too.

Remove your current banjo bolt for the rear master cylinder.

Replace with the banjo bolt pressure switch.

Connect the 2 wires coming from the new banjo bolt to the wires that your previous brake switch were connected too.

Presto... your brake light will work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was about ready to give that a try, but the thread pitch and width of the sensor is different from that of the play adjustment screw. Anyways, no loss of time, I would have to take the cylinder off to the same point to get the banjo bolt on.

Regardless, thanks!
Charles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts