Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have a 2004 or 2005 ST3. Did the Ducati Performance exhaust kit come with a computer? I was told they only came with the mufflers and air filter. I had a tech tell me the kits did not come with the computer because it was not needed. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine came with pipes, air filter box and filter and chip. At least that's what I was told.
I've thought many times I should have checked on all that.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I have posted on this forum regarding this subject due to TWO situations on the two bikes we own. My wife rides a 2006 ST3s and I ride a 2004 ST4s. Both bikes were bought used with very low milage. Both had the DP carbon fiber can exhaust pipes & open airbox installed. Both owners thought they had purchased a kit which included a replace ECU "chip". Both bikes ran like crap at low RPM.

Two different Ducati shops checked them out and both bikes still had the stock chip. I talked to the dealer in who sold the ST3 when it was new and they finally admitted that the ECU was supposed to be included in the kit but was unavailable so they "intended" to put it on when it "came in." Strangely, they never contacted the original owner (from whom I bought the bike 6 months after its original purchase) and just could not sem to locate it when I talked to them about year after the initial sale. After a lot of heated conversations, Ducati North America replaced the ECU on the ST3s under the warranty at no cost to me.

The ST4s was 3 calendar years old when I bought it. I bought the bike from a BMW shop in Oregon who represented to me that the Ducati Dealer in Oregon that installed the pipe/airbox kit when the bike was new claimed to have put on the ECU. When I got it home and took it in fot the 6K mi service, my local dealer advised me that it still had the stock chip. Since the ST4s was out of the 2 year warrenty period, Ducati NA was no help nor was either of the Oregon dealers. I wound up putting a Power Commander on rather than order the replacement ECU chip from Ducati. The replacment chip is $1300 when bought as a single item, despite the fact that the kit with the pipes, airbox & chip listed for around $1500 for the entire kit. Salt Lake Motorsports still shows the kit with the chip. The Power Commaner MOSTLY fixed the problem, although the bike still coughs once in a while when rolling on the throttle at very low speed, but for the most part, is great. Makes 113 hp & 71 lbs torque as shown in the attached chart. The comparison dyno run shown is the stock ECU w/ pipes & airbox. There is a 5 hp gain. But, the big thing is that the PCIII mostly fixed the roughness etc.

Having been through this twice, I can tell you that the bike does not run right at low speed without the DP ECU or the Power Commander. It coughs, back fires, runs rough and dies at stop signs/lights. With the replacment DP ECU, the ST3s is very smooth at low speed.

I have never gotten any explanation how in the world I bought two of these wonderful machines with the great looking & sounding DP pipes & airbox that were supposed to have the DP ECU but did not.

I dropped the front sprocket to a 14 on both bikes and we up to a 40 on the back of the ST4s. This change greatly improves low speed driveability, but won't fix the coughing, rough running etc, although I highly recommend this change.

I would not recommend the pipes & airbox w/o the chip, ever; PERIOD.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I have never gotten any explanation how in the world I bought two of these wonderful machines with the great looking & sounding DP pipes & airbox that were supposed to have the DP ECU but did not.
The answer is that Ducati was late in putting out the ECU for the post 2004 4s bikes, and again with the 3's after that. There were problems with the 2002 and 2003 DP ECU's with respect to the features that they supported on the monster and ST lines. Ducati did fix them, but the ECU wasn't out for quite a while after 2004, and trailed both models. If you got a kit with the ECU in '04 it had an '02 or '03 ECU.

Brad Black talked a little bit about this problem in his DP performance writeup for the ST4s: http://www.bikeboy.org/st4sducperf.html

Just another Ducati gaffe that the customer was expected to accept. If you are very concerned about the low-speed issues, maybe look into a nemesis or having the stock ECU reprogrammed (it can now be done) with a DP map.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found it strange when I was told the 04/05 kits did not have the ECM. My 1999 996SPS had the chip included with the bike. My 05 999R had the computer with the exhaust. I got what I feel was a good deal on the exhaust. I guess I will find out when I get the 6K done

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had the DP kit installed earlier this year on my 05 ST3 and when I brought the stock parts home there was a chip in the box. I have to assume that the correct chip was installed as my bike runs great at all speeds. Sounds wonderful too!

Rick G

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The answer is that Ducati was late in putting out the ECU for the post 2004 4s bikes, and again with the 3's after that. There were problems with the 2002 and 2003 DP ECU's with respect to the features that they supported on the monster and ST lines. Ducati did fix them, but the ECU wasn't out for quite a while after 2004, and trailed both models. If you got a kit with the ECU in '04 it had an '02 or '03 ECU.

Brad Black talked a little bit about this problem in his DP performance writeup for the ST4s: http://www.bikeboy.org/st4sducperf.html

Just another Ducati gaffe that the customer was expected to accept. If you are very concerned about the low-speed issues, maybe look into a nemesis or having the stock ECU reprogrammed (it can now be done) with a DP map.
Any ideas who does the re-maps on Ducati computers? The dealer told me $600 for a Dynojet programmer with custom map...

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Any ideas who does the re-maps on Ducati computers? The dealer told me $600 for a Dynojet programmer with custom map...
Motowheels will do it. I would think that a S4R map is pretty close. I don't think they have one exactly for our bikes, but you should ask as he may be getting updates.

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=678|Performance Packages&productID=6854&showDetail=1&categoryID=679|Ducati Performance Packages&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=678|Performance Packages

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an 04 st4s, stock pipes, got the exhaust and the dealer told me that I had to have the new computer. Went ahead and got it, difference was incredible. No flat spots what so ever, more power everywhere. Get the computer. Otherwise you are just getting the cool sound. You will be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have an 04 st4s, stock pipes, got the exhaust and the dealer told me that I had to have the new computer. Went ahead and got it, difference was incredible. No flat spots what so ever, more power everywhere. Get the computer. Otherwise you are just getting the cool sound. You will be amazed at the difference.
Did you get your kit recently? Did you have to buy the ECU separate from the kit or was it included? Do you still have the part numbers for reference? Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chips in the box

My kit came with the pies, the filter, and the chip. Easy install. You sure notice the extra ponies, and the low speed stability. Not to mention the sweet Italian music I play for all the HOGS!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sweet sound

My kit came with the pies, the filter, and the chip. Easy install. You sure notice the extra ponies, and the low speed stability. Not to mention the sweet Italian music I play for all the HOGS!
+10 on the power/sound. My '06 came with the pipes, filter and a whole new ECU. Best thing I ever did to a motorcycle.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
When you gents say "chip" for ST3 or a 2004 ST4S, I think you mean "new ECU".
Chips were used in the ST2 and ST4 with the older computers up to about 2002. ST4S, I believe, has the newer 5.9 ECU, and there's no chip to swap out. That's why an ECU will cost you over a grand, because it's the entire computer.

And a "custom map" for a PCIII is pricey because of the amount of time the technician needs to spend on the dynomometer with your specific bike/pipes/airbox combo.

My local dealer can provide this, but it's $90/hr. for at least 2 or 3 hours. Basically, he goes thru the ENTIRE map, so every 250 rpm, and a whole ton of throttle settings and doing this while using an exh. sniffer. So that's why my other thread hinted at sharing maps. There's a few in the SS area here, but they're ONLY SS maps.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I got one...

Hello

I have a map for my '03 ST4S ABS that was done on the dyno that I'd be glad to share.
Stock motor (except MBP collets, shouldn't matter) with DP airbox and Arrow "Not for Road Use" slip-ons.
I'm currently running an OEM ECU, hope to have a DP unit fitted soon and will re-dyno if necessary.
It's lurching a bit at low rev's in 1st right now, I've been resisting messing with it until I get the DP ECU in place.
Runs like a scalded-ass ape otherwise.
It's the 710-411 PCIII.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure if they are the same? I bought a DP ECU brand new. The seller told me it will work with any non-abs ST3. In 06 they added the O2 sensor. I have yet to install the mufflers or ECU...waiting to install timing belts..Thanks all

·
Registered
116 Posts
just found an 04 st3 and bought it with 6000 miles. Looking for a DP kit for it. are they d/c'ed?
any idea who might have one?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The guy I bought my kit from had another set on ebay a couple of weeks ago. He did not meet reserve on the auction

·
Registered
116 Posts
JU996SPS......could U post a link to that ebay site? or send it to me PM?

Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts