Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the DP 1098R ECU (for full termi system) and the DP 1098 ECU (for full termi system).

The reason I'm asking is that I have access to a DP 1098R ECU and am wondering if it will work on my 1098 (standard).

Also, I hear folks talking about a "Closed Loop" system versus and "Open Loop" system. Can anyone explain to me the difference?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
A computer controlled car or moto is in closed loop mode when the engine is cold. When cold it ignores any information sent by the O2 sensors.

The computer goes into closed loop when the engine is warm. The computer then is listening to the sensors. It then varies fuel delivery based on the readings from the throttle position sensor, air flow meter, RPMs, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the DP 1098R ECU (for full termi system) and the DP 1098 ECU (for full termi system).

The reason I'm asking is that I have access to a DP 1098R ECU and am wondering if it will work on my 1098 (standard).

Also, I hear folks talking about a "Closed Loop" system versus and "Open Loop" system. Can anyone explain to me the difference?

Thanks

Dave
From first principles I would expect the 2 ECU's to be quite different. One the 1098R has a larger capacity engine and 2 bigger and different intake system with 2 injectors instead of 1

·
Registered
346 Posts
The 1098R is vastly different from the other 1098 (Standard and S) models and the ECUs should not be interchanged between them. The differences between a 1098R and the others are too myriad and complex to go into here, but suffice it to say NO, you shouldn't use a 1098R (race or otherwise) ECU on your standard 1098.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
If you want a Ducati Performance ECU for your 1098, get a ProTune ECU Remap Kit .

It will allow you to install a new DP fuel and ignition map on your 1098's original ECU for about half the cost of a Ducati Performance ECU.

-M

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Do these come with preexisting maps?
You get to pick the type of map you need based on the mods you have made to your Motorcycle. ( ie: slip-on for full system; aftermarket or stock filter; Cat or No cat...).

We install the map before we ship it out. If you make additional changes to your bike later, you can send the "re'map" kit back to us to reload a different map for a small fee.

-M

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 1098R is vastly different from the other 1098 (Standard and S) models and the ECUs should not be interchanged between them. The differences between a 1098R and the others are too myriad and complex to go into here, but suffice it to say NO, you shouldn't use a 1098R (race or otherwise) ECU on your standard 1098.
THe ECUs are very different, as are the header systems for both bikes. Using a 1098 ecu in an R would be a mistake, as it will severly limit performance (if not damage the engine) Also, you'll lose your traction control, as this is ECU controlled, which is not part of the 1098 programming.

·
Super Moderator
8,192 Posts
THe ECUs are very different, as are the header systems for both bikes. Using a 1098 ecu in an R would be a mistake, as it will severly limit performance (if not damage the engine) Also, you'll lose your traction control, as this is ECU controlled, which is not part of the 1098 programming.
Wrong way around mate..
He´s looking to use a 1098R ecu in a 1098.

And as I´ve said on another forum where the OP asked the question..
NO, it´s not a good idea unless you get a remap kit for the ECU. The 1098R ecu as its delivered from ducati will NOT work with a normal 1098.

Clear?

//amullo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts