Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

DP ECU Question

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  DADDA 
#1 ·
I installed a new full exhaust system with the DP ECU and air box filter cover and I want to know if this set up typically runs rich out of the box. The bike seems to run fine the way it is. I'm concerned that it might be lean because the headers turned blue near the heads. Thoughts? TIA!

#3 ·
Typically that setup is richer than optimum. People who have posted here having added a PCIII on top of a DP ECU on a PS or Sort 1000 mono with a Termi full system and drilled airbox lid have ended up getting a leaner map to make things perfect. There is extra hp to be had by doing this.

Also, when you install a new ECU you are supposed to have to reset the TPS at a minimum. If it runs right without having done that, it is just dumb luck, according to those in the know. It is very easy to do with a Mathesis or a VDST. If you don't get that done you may indeed be off a fair bit.

#4 ·
Mine ran pretty well right out of the box. I'm not a mechanic, or not even really that smart, but it seemed a little lean at idle, and a little rich everywhere else, but still much better than stock. It was also second hand, so I don't know if the previous owner adjusted it at all. Anyway, after about six months I had the bike in the shop for some other maintenance and asked the mechanic to hook it up to the sniffer and adjust the trim on the ECU. It went from pretty good to great. I was considering a power commander before, but now, I don't think I need one. A PCIII may eek out a few more ponies, but power delivery "feels" just about perfect right now. I'm running Termi slip-ons and TPO Beast intake.

#7 ·
Amen to that. The stock set up is ridiculously lean.I was going to change the front sprocket in an effort to smooth the bike out, but the DP ECU and the tune did the trick. The bike is amazing now.

#8 ·
I bought my GT-1000 new in '07 with the DP kit installed, so I haven't got a 'stock baseline' for comparison. As equipped, the fuel injection had a mild hesitation at 3K......but only until warmed-up. After that 'Lil Miss Duckie was a hooligan's dream.

After the dealer's 7500-mile service, it turned into a full-time hesitation. I was NOT happy. Each time it was worked on the glitch got worse, the problematic RPM range increased, and the fuel mileage dropped.

I finally got pissed-off enough to have them install the stock ECU and Oh-Two sensor, until Ducati was ready to provide another DP ECU under warranty. Fueling smoothness improved greatly, and highway mileage was consistently over 58 MPG, with high 40's in town. I lost some of the SNAP! throttle response, and She ran noticeably hotter, but no real ill effects.

When the replacement ECU arrived, almost all of the SNAP returned, the heat went back down, and fuel mileage is still high-40's in town. I haven't had the chance to highway for a full tank since, but if I can hit 50+ MPG in the open I'd be happy.

Hope this provides a little insight.

*QuACK*

#9 ·
DP ECU Install

New Ducati 1198 owner here and I have the Termignoni installed, but still need to install the DP ECU and filter. I'll have the filter installed during the 600 mile checkup, but the ECU install sounds pretty simple and I'd like to do that myself.

Here's the Question:
Do I have to have the dealer tune the bike (something about TPS?) right away or can I ride around until the 600 mile checkup? I saw on a thread that supposedly you shouldn't even starup your bike after the DP ECU install and to take it straight to the dealer?

Also - I have the PC and AutoTune that I will have installed later ... If have these installed does that mean I can avoid the TPS tune-up?

Basically, I'm trying to save some bucks and do as many of the installs myself that I can. The PC install sounded complicated so I'll have to take the hit and go with the dealer.

Thanks All!

#10 ·
New Ducati 1198 owner here and I have the Termignoni installed, but still need to install the DP ECU and filter. I'll have the filter installed during the 600 mile checkup, but the ECU install sounds pretty simple and I'd like to do that myself.

Here's the Question:
Do I have to have the dealer tune the bike (something about TPS?) right away or can I ride around until the 600 mile checkup? I saw on a thread that supposedly you shouldn't even starup your bike after the DP ECU install and to take it straight to the dealer?

Also - I have the PC and AutoTune that I will have installed later ... If have these installed does that mean I can avoid the TPS tune-up?

Basically, I'm trying to save some bucks and do as many of the installs myself that I can. The PC install sounded complicated so I'll have to take the hit and go with the dealer.

Thanks All!
Shouldn't be an issue with running the bike around after installing the DP ECU and before setting fuel trim/etc. You'll probably still want to set fuel trim before adding the PC - that's what worked best for me.

#11 ·
speak to the WASP. I had the termis and DP ECU and it was great. Got the PUK1 kit and it was awesome. One of the benefits is getting the map dialed in correctly as part of the kit, which includes the PCIII.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.