Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new DP Comfort seat and I ran into 2 issues with the way it fits:

1) The 2 rubber spacers/grommets that are on the sub-frame on which the seat is supposed to rest do not touch the seat. There's about a 1/2 inch gap between the grommets and the bottom of the seat. This causes the seat to rock from sideways like a boat (photo 1)

2) There seems to be a sort of "camel toe" where the seat meets the gas tank center cover (photo 2)

Anyone experience these issues? Will the seat eventually fit more snugly on the bike?

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm not sure if this applies to every model, but my bike has the ability to make adjustments to the plate that the seat bolt goes into... you should be able to move this in order to get a more snug fit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same issue when installing mine. I adjusted the seat bolt bracket a little to get it to fit against the tank better. As for the grommets sitting high, if i remember right the seat comes with a metal spacer that the seat bolt runs through or at least i thought it did. I installed and it rocked back and forth terribly. I left it uninstalled and still had a little gap between the grommets and sub frame. After a few hundred miles i feel like it has settle out and i don't notice it rocking at all anymore.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same issue when installing mine. I adjusted the seat bolt bracket a little to get it to fit against the tank better. As for the grommets sitting high, if i remember right the seat comes with a metal spacer that the seat bolt runs through or at least i thought it did. I installed and it rocked back and forth terribly. I left it uninstalled and still had a little gap between the grommets and sub frame. After a few hundred miles i feel like it has settle out and i don't notice it rocking at all anymore.
Thanks. I'll give it some time to settle first.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't have the comfort seat, but do have the performance seat and can tell you this:

1. Same issue with my performance seat, is a bit wobbly, but you don't notice it when riding

2. Instead of having a camel toe, mine actually has a gap between the fairings and seat. Stock seat fits very snug, but the fitting of the DP seat just plain out sucks.

Also, I've read that this is a common issue. It's something you'd just have to live with I guess.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a gap between the side fairings and the seat but I ended up adjusting the fairings. If you loosen the 3 mounting screws on each side, the fairings can be shifted to eliminate the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
ciao amico,

if the seat is still not fitting correctly/to your liking, drop me a PM and i can help with the adjustments. have done this on two of the seats for my hyper, and one other hyper as well.

ciao,
johnc

I had a gap between the side fairings and the seat but I ended up adjusting the fairings. If you loosen the 3 mounting screws on each side, the fairings can be shifted to eliminate the gap.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

I know, but with my seat it still leaves a considerable gap.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just installed my new DP Comfort seat and I ran into 2 issues with the way it fits:

1) The 2 rubber spacers/grommets that are on the sub-frame on which the seat is supposed to rest do not touch the seat. There's about a 1/2 inch gap between the grommets and the bottom of the seat. This causes the seat to rock from sideways like a boat (photo 1)

2) There seems to be a sort of "camel toe" where the seat meets the gas tank center cover (photo 2)

Anyone experience these issues? Will the seat eventually fit more snugly on the bike?
Well, that's just disheartening. I went over to a dealer today to take a strong look at the 1100 EVO SP and all I can say about the seat on those is that, it's damned uncomfortable.

Sitting on the bike with both feet planted flatfooted, it felt like, well...that I was straddling a 2X4 that two guys were holding me up on.

Then I had the salesman hold the forks and front wheel between his legs, so I could assume a real riding position with feet on the pegs. It was only slightly less uncomfortable.

F'ing ridiculous. I mean, it was almost torture to sit on it. Balls mashed into the tank, and all. It's just too narrow. I have focused on the 796 before this and the seat on that one is shaped slightly different and has more of a saddle for the rider than the 1100 SP does.

Or, maybe the seat height at 34-1/2" is just too high. That, combined with the narrowness of the seat may both be contributing to the discomfort.

There was a guy in there that rode up on his standard 1100 with the DP race seat on it and he let me sit on it.

It was a bit more comfortable. BTW, his seat fit the bike perfectly. No gaps or looseness at all. He said the DP seats should fit like the original seats. He said that the Sargent seats are the ones with the fitting problems.

I was really getting my heart set on an 1100 EVO SP (buying it next week) but man, I know I just can't hack that stock seat. And if the 15MM lower "comfort" seat is gonna have fitting problems, I just don't know.....

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regardless of what seat you get, there's enough adjustment to make it fit perfectly.

PS: you think the hyper seat is like sitting on a 2x4 ?
Try sitting on my VOR motard (attached), it's like a pressure-treated 2x4 :D

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, that's just disheartening. I went over to a dealer today to take a strong look at the 1100 EVO SP and all I can say about the seat on those is that, it's damned uncomfortable.

Sitting on the bike with both feet planted flatfooted, it felt like, well...that I was straddling a 2X4 that two guys were holding me up on.

Then I had the salesman hold the forks and front wheel between his legs, so I could assume a real riding position with feet on the pegs. It was only slightly less uncomfortable.

F'ing ridiculous. I mean, it was almost torture to sit on it. Balls mashed into the tank, and all. It's just too narrow. I have focused on the 796 before this and the seat on that one is shaped slightly different and has more of a saddle for the rider than the 1100 SP does.

Or, maybe the seat height at 34-1/2" is just too high. That, combined with the narrowness of the seat may both be contributing to the discomfort.

There was a guy in there that rode up on his standard 1100 with the DP race seat on it and he let me sit on it.

It was a bit more comfortable. BTW, his seat fit the bike perfectly. No gaps or looseness at all. He said the DP seats should fit like the original seats. He said that the Sargent seats are the ones with the fitting problems.

I was really getting my heart set on an 1100 EVO SP (buying it next week) but man, I know I just can't hack that stock seat. And if the 15MM lower "comfort" seat is gonna have fitting problems, I just don't know.....
I just got an SP this weekend and just come back from a 150km ride and the seat wasn't as bad as I thought. Yeah I had to re adjust my balls but it is very easy to move around and hang off the seat.

It is to tall for me, I'm on the balls of my feet nearly tip toes so I have ordered the DP comfort seat but I won't get that until next week and give my feed back

·
Registered
22 Posts

I don't think i am alone in saying that i didnt buy a hyper for comfort. If you have never ridden a hyper 1100 I am sure once you do you will agree that its way worth the fact that its not super comfortable. You can always get a stock seat off ebay from an 1100evo or S for pretty cheap. Buying a 796 for the seat is the wrong reason IMHO.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't think i am alone in saying that i didnt buy a hyper for comfort. If you have never ridden a hyper 1100 I am sure once you do you will agree that its way worth the fact that its not super comfortable. You can always get a stock seat off ebay from an 1100evo or S for pretty cheap. Buying a 796 for the seat is the wrong reason IMHO.
IMHO, a bike needs to "fit" a rider. The Motard fits me ergonomically. I prefer, and need the upright riding position that the Motard affords.

At the same time, IMHO motorcycling is an inherently dangerous sport and, one needs to focus all of their energy on exactly what they are doing all the time when riding.

If for example, a seat is hurting your ass and mashing your balls so much that it distracts you while riding, that ain't good. Doesn't matter how much fun a bike is to ride, if my ass hurts all the time, then it's no fun at all.

That's just my opinion. Talking about the uncomfortable factor, I had a guy at the dealer yesterday tell me, "well, your always moving around and hanging off the seat anyway, so I don't really notice it."

I don't ride that way. I would describe the way that I ride as conservative. I don't hang off the bike on corners, don't pull wheelies. Mostly I tour, but like to go fast and push it some when the conditions, my mindset, and the road that I'm on allow for it. So, I like to have the option of a lot of power and torque when I want to employ it.

My Bonneville is a hot rod that has dyno numbers better than the 796 in RWHP & torque already. So, I switched from looking at the 796 to seriously looking at the 1100.

I just hate the f'king seat on the thing. Might as well be sitting on the frame IMHO. Might even be more comfy than the seat.:D

I have been reading some fairly recent reviews here on the Sargent seats and looking at them on line, they look like they have got a fairly decent seat pan and are a bit wider at the point that the inside of the thighs contact. Something needs to be there to take some of the weight/pressure off of those sit bones.

Hard to know without sitting on one if it cures the problem but several people here think so.

I'm going back home to the mountains on Tuesday and will stop at the dealer that I would by it from on the way back up the hill and talk to some more people and try to figure an angle. They have a 2012 EVO SP in stock.

I'll either buy it then, or scrap the whole idea.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My comfort seat is 2 yrs old now and still fits sloppy but doesn't bother me at all while on it.I can easily put 600 miles on it in a day.

·
Registered
87 Posts
IMHO, a bike needs to "fit" a rider. The Motard fits me ergonomically. I prefer, and need the upright riding position that the Motard affords.

At the same time, IMHO motorcycling is an inherently dangerous sport and, one needs to focus all of their energy on exactly what they are doing all the time when riding.

If for example, a seat is hurting your ass and mashing your balls so much that it distracts you while riding, that ain't good. Doesn't matter how much fun a bike is to ride, if my ass hurts all the time, then it's no fun at all.

That's just my opinion. Talking about the uncomfortable factor, I had a guy at the dealer yesterday tell me, "well, your always moving around and hanging off the seat anyway, so I don't really notice it."

I don't ride that way. I would describe the way that I ride as conservative. I don't hang off the bike on corners, don't pull wheelies. Mostly I tour, but like to go fast and push it some when the conditions, my mindset, and the road that I'm on allow for it. So, I like to have the option of a lot of power and torque when I want to employ it.

My Bonneville is a hot rod that has dyno numbers better than the 796 in RWHP & torque already. So, I switched from looking at the 796 to seriously looking at the 1100.

I just hate the f'king seat on the thing. Might as well be sitting on the frame IMHO. Might even be more comfy than the seat.:D

I have been reading some fairly recent reviews here on the Sargent seats and looking at them on line, they look like they have got a fairly decent seat pan and are a bit wider at the point that the inside of the thighs contact. Something needs to be there to take some of the weight/pressure off of those sit bones.

Hard to know without sitting on one if it cures the problem but several people here think so.

I'm going back home to the mountains on Tuesday and will stop at the dealer that I would by it from on the way back up the hill and talk to some more people and try to figure an angle. They have a 2012 EVO SP in stock.

I'll either buy it then, or scrap the whole idea.
I have tried all the after market seats for the hypermotard, the seargent seat is the one you need. Its fantastic, I can ride all day no problem. It did take a few hours to get used to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I find the standard seat fine, but will prob get the performance seat in time, as I'm only 5ft 7".
But there are other goodies that are higher on my pimp list :D

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Are you famialr with Corbin seats? I just bought one after a friends recommendation. Trouble with mine is the install directions are for a 07, mine is a 2011 EVO. I've tried working it into poisition, and come up short on the bolt line ups. The problem is that the rear wiring harness runs directly under the bracket.. No way to re-route them short of cutting, extending, and splicing. Has anyone had this problem with the corbin? I sent photos, and am expecting a response from their customer service folks tomorrow. Suggestions anyone? My buddy swwears by the comfort of these, but he doesn't have a Hyper. 450 delivered to Alaska, hate to return it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
:eek:

Have you looked at the Multi or Diavel? What you just described is the complete opposite of the Hyper spirit. If you don't have the urge to rip monster wheelies and jump curbs by just looking at the hyper, it probably isn't for you.

It's like buying a convertible when you don't like wind blowing through your hair. :abduct:

·
Registered
253 Posts
:eek:

Have you looked at the Multi or Diavel? What you just described is the complete opposite of the Hyper spirit. If you don't have the urge to rip monster wheelies and jump curbs by just looking at the hyper, it probably isn't for you.

It's like buying a convertible when you don't like wind blowing through your hair. :abduct:
Ha! Too funny. I like the EEK emoticon. Well it's like this; I know that you're just kidding around but, can't I just look like a hooligan and not have to ride like one?;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts