Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to brighten up the luster on these cans. I have a few questions.
1. Will a 2K glossy clear coat stand up to the heat?
2. Can i drill out the rivets and slide the carbon fiber off with ease?
20201119_161933.jpg

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
as too if you drill out the rivets out will they come apart with ease--depends how much carbon buildup is in there---as for the clear coat I would use a High Temp clear normal automotive clear I doubt would hold up

Reactions: scott

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Clear coating these older carbon sleeves takes quite a bit of preparation. The manufacturing process was not as slick and does not have the same quality standards as the carbon sleeves you can purchase today.
You will most definitely find pin holes developing in the clear coat when applying and while it dries. So it entails a few repetitions of sanding, cleaning, filling the pins holes and recoating to get a decent result. I have been through it and it was a tons of work. 😬
Good luck(y)

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I have use regular automotive clear several times on a few different bikes. So far the cans all look great no problem with the clear holding up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clear coating these older carbon sleeves takes quite a bit of preparation. The manufacturing process was not as slick and does not have the same quality standards as the carbon sleeves you can purchase today.
You will most definitely find pin holes developing in the clear coat when applying and while it dries. So it entails a few repetitions of sanding, cleaning, filling the pins holes and recoating to get a decent result. I have been through it and it was a tons of work. 😬
Good luck(y)
I agree on the finish not be that great, I can feel the strands of fiber which means the finish is very thin. I plan on thoroughly cleaning it with a degreaser and then sanding with a 1000 grit. Three coats of clear after that.
Did you pop the rivets and take the CB off, or did you do it on the pipe?
I have use regular automotive clear several times on a few different bikes. So far the cans all look great no problem with the clear holding up.
The clear has a heat range of up to 200 F, so I think i'm safe.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I agree on the finish not be that great, I can feel the strands of fiber which means the finish is very thin. I plan on thoroughly cleaning it with a degreaser and then sanding with a 1000 grit. Three coats of clear after that.
Did you pop the rivets and take the CB off, or did you do it on the pipe?

The clear has a heat range of up to 200 F, so I think i'm safe.
The sleeves do have a textured finish. Specially the Termignoni pipes. Some say it’s part of their charm…

Yes, I drilled out the rivets and took the canisters apart. (I also repacked them with fresh wadding at the same time.) The replacement rivets are 4.8mm closed end rivets. Available in both aluminum and steel. I found the aluminum much easier to work with. It’s also worth using some exhaust sealer when assembling the canisters with the new rivets. Just to prevent gases from escaping from the connections.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sleeves do have a textured finish. Specially the Termignoni pipes. Some say it’s part of their charm…

Yes, I drilled out the rivets and took the canisters apart. (I also repacked them with fresh wadding at the same time.) The replacement rivets are 4.8mm closed end rivets. Available in both aluminum and steel. I found the aluminum much easier to work with. It’s also worth using some exhaust sealer when assembling the canisters with the new rivets. Just to prevent gases from escaping from the connections.
This was the answer i was hoping for. Thanks for the rivet size.
This bike is going through a cosmetic restoration over the winter. It's getting repainted black, but the decals will be gold to match the Oz rims. I was thinking of using brass rivets or a rivet to sort of match the rim color. Suggestions?
Here's some pictures of the project.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
This was the answer i was hoping for. Thanks for the rivet size.
This bike is going through a cosmetic restoration over the winter. It's getting repainted black, but the decals will be gold to match the Oz rims. I was thinking of using brass rivets or a rivet to sort of match the rim color. Suggestions?
Here's some pictures of the project.
Nice project you have there (y)
I like where you going with the project. Black and gold always look so good together. The JPS livery is amongst my favourite.
With regards the rivets IMHO I would stay with the plain aluminium finish. I personally have more of a vanilla taste with regards to colourful bolts, nuts or rivets. The plain rivets are subtle and purposeful as initially intended. Plain aluminium rivets will not draw attention away from the right elements of the bike. (Leave the colourful 'tat' to the Gixxer and and Kawasaki boys :p)
If you really want to invest in some jewellery (bling factor) rather consider set of tasteful rear sets. Better yet leave some subtle unpainted carbon details on those carbon fairings of yours.
That will really separate your bike from the rest in a more tasteful manner :)
That's just my take anyways.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice project you have there (y)
I like where you going with the project. Black and gold always look so good together. The JPS livery is amongst my favourite.
With regards the rivets IMHO I would stay with the plain aluminium finish. I personally have more of a vanilla taste with regards to colourful bolts, nuts or rivets. The plain rivets are subtle and purposeful as initially intended. Plain aluminium rivets will not draw attention away from the right elements of the bike. (Leave the colourful 'tat' to the Gixxer and and Kawasaki boys :p)
If you really want to invest in some jewellery (bling factor) rather consider set of tasteful rear sets. Better yet leave some subtle unpainted carbon details on those carbon fairings of yours.
That will really separate your bike from the rest in a more tasteful manner :)
That's just my take anyways.
I have an extra set of panniers and I'm going to do a carbon fiber overlay on the one set, not the whole pannier, just the abs plastic part.
The swing arm is either getting powder coated or painted a satin black with a large "Ducati" decal in matte black just for a subtle bling that won't be noticed by many other than the eagle eyes here in the forum.
I'd really like to get an aluminum swingarm. I know an ST4 swingarm will work, but are there other models that share the swingarm with the ST3?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
ST4s has AL SA. ST4 had steel. Also ST3s should be AL
I think some of the better Monsters shared the AL SA. Like an S4 Monster of that era (2002, 2003?)

Reactions: Elbato
1 - 11 of 11 Posts