Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, long story short. I let someone ride my S4 on Tuesday,.......and, they throw it down the road at about 20 mph. Now there is a water leak, I think its a hose, the tank is dented from the handlebars and the fork tube, and the forks are hitting the tank (bent stops I suppose), scuffs down the left side, broken shifter. And the rider has a broken or cracked rib. He rode it back to my shop, and then rode it to the house. Later, went to emergency.

In March, I paid about $6000 for this bike, it was uncrashed and in pretty decent shape. I figure right now, after the biff, it's worth about $3000. Do you think I am out of line wanting this person to buy the bike for what I paid for it? Blue Book is still around $6. My insurance has a $1000 deductible, so I'm not saying shit to them.

I've been thinking about his for a few days now, and I'm getting foamier and foamier.

As far as the stops on the frame and whatnot, is there usually any other damage to the frame from a slow speed tipover? It seems to track straight but the stops need to be bent back or at least readjusted.

Advise?

J

·
0 Posts
So, long story short. I let someone ride my S4 on Tuesday,.......and, they throw it down the road at about 20 mph. Now there is a water leak, I think its a hose, the tank is dented from the handlebars and the fork tube, and the forks are hitting the tank (bent stops I suppose), scuffs down the left side, broken shifter. And the rider has a broken or cracked rib. He rode it back to my shop, and then rode it to the house. Later, went to emergency.

In March, I paid about $6000 for this bike, it was uncrashed and in pretty decent shape. I figure right now, after the biff, it's worth about $3000. Do you think I am out of line wanting this person to buy the bike for what I paid for it? Blue Book is still around $6. My insurance has a $1000 deductible, so I'm not saying shit to them.

I've been thinking about his for a few days now, and I'm getting foamier and foamier.

As far as the stops on the frame and whatnot, is there usually any other damage to the frame from a slow speed tipover? It seems to track straight but the stops need to be bent back or at least readjusted.

Advise?
,,,What are the circumstances here,as of being out of line who's going to pay his medical bills,insurance? is he a friend or family member.Legalities are in question here corndog,investigate what is damage then do some homework as how much it would cost to fix it and how much its going to cost to have him fixed (medical bills ).Good luck,i'm sorry i wasn't much help to you...:(

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
,,,What are the circumstances here,as of being out of line who's going to pay his medical bills,insurance? is he a friend or family member.Legalities are in question here corndog,investigate what is damage then do some homework as how much it would cost to fix it and how much its going to cost to have him fixed (medical bills ).Good luck,i'm sorry i wasn't much help to you...:(
Well....it's my brother. He's got VA health insurance. There isn't going to be any lawsuits either way, I just think that the right thing to do would be for him to buy the bike from me. I really don't want a crashed on bike, although it isn't really damaged that bad. But when I'm looking at a bike to buy, if it's been crashed at all, I generally won't buy it. I think the value is knocked way down, also. The way I look at it, if I borrow a bike, and I scuff it, I'll replace it.

We'll see what happens. I've just got a funny feeling that any money is going to come out of my pocket.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Simple Rule of thumb between my friends and I - If you wad it you bought it and everything else is on you too. In other words: Don't ride it if you can't pay for it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
agreed +1

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I'm in the you effe it up you now own it crowd but of course corndog is in a sticky spot since its family which as we all know can be difficult water to navigate when it comes to $$$$$. Corn I don't know you brother so hard to give advice on that front but at the very lease he should pay to have it fixed I would think. Has he offered to pay yet or is he expecting you to make a claim because you have insurance.

I have one brother who would offer me the coin right away no question and another brother who has that entitlement menality and I would bet my sweet ass he would expect me to have my insurance pay for it just because I have it. So it really depends on your bro. Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in the you effe it up you now own it crowd but of course corndog is in a sticky spot since its family which as we all know can be difficult water to navigate when it comes to $$$$$. Corn I don't know you brother so hard to give advice on that front but at the very lease he should pay to have it fixed I would think. Has he offered to pay yet or is he expecting you to make a claim because you have insurance.

I have one brother who would offer me the coin right away no question and another brother who has that entitlement menality and I would bet my sweet ass he would expect me to have my insurance pay for it just because I have it. So it really depends on your bro. Hope it all works out.
Well, he's offered to pay for the scuffed up stuff, but a tank is big bucks, the little fairing is scuffed, the clutch master is scuffed, the water outlet is scuffed, the carbon radiator cover is scuffed, it all adds up to some serious coin, even though it is mainly cosmetic. Personally, I'd rather he just took over the payments, and I move on to bike #38. I've had enough of them that I don't get attached at all, I like the S4, but something else would be fine, too.

Plus, it's my brother. I don't want to appear to be taking advantage of him. It's still a good, fun and fairly fast bike. I think he will do the right thing.

Thanks for the opinions, guys, keep them coming.

Robert

·
Registered
60 Posts
I thought the "driver's" insurance paid for the damages. My neighbor ran into a problem with his insurance company cause his truck was in an accident while his brother was driving it to work, with out a current license or insurance of his own.

I get the feeling your brother may read this, if so then I'll be the first to say it; It is time to man up, the fact that this thread exists at all means your responsibility level isn't where it should be. The offer to pay for damages should have been immediate, Family takes care of Family.

If this seems a little harsh then you should refrain from borrowing other people's property in the future.

I'm just saying....:rolleyes:

G

·
Registered
630 Posts
Find out how much it will cost to have the dent in the tank repaired; including paint. It will probably be much less than buying a new one.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Funny this should come up. I have a good friend who has SERIOUS toys, things like jet powered offshores, blown gas and fuel hydro drag boats, and ZR-1 'Vettes. He's never offered to let me drive any of them, and I don't blame him. When I picked up my new Streetfighter S last month, the first thing he said to me was: "You know, of course, that that's something you NEVER let your brother-in-law drive, don't you?"

No matter what you wind up doing, there will be hurt feelings somewhere. If your brother coughs up the money, he'll resent it a bit. His wife will hate you only because you are the recipient of a lot of money her family could have used. And you'll all probably be under the same roof sometime during the holidays. My condolences.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Very difficult decision....... Seeing as how he is your bro, I would contact your insurance carrier, get the estimates, have your bro cough up the deduct, and you are golden. he will feel better, you will feel better and if they total it, you get a new bike, just make sure you get out of it what it is worth (now) not when you bought it.

Only for a brother though.....

Mark (your neighbor)

·
Registered
30 Posts
when I consider lending a bike out to anyone, I have three things I say and require by the potential rider. 1. You must have a legal and fully functional motorcycle, (so if you crash mine I take your until mine bike is fixed.) 2. You must have a motorcycle license. 3. If you do crash my bike, i will make sure that person is ok and then I state that I will punch that person square in the mouth and make that person pay for fixing the bike or purchase the bike for what I paid for it. Very simple rules, easy to enforce. So far I have had no problems.
herbdon...

J

·
0 Posts
Found parts

Robert i PM'ed you,i found a tank for $125.00 and other parts that you need,pm me back....Mike,kingsburg,ca.;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Like others my simple rule is - You break you buy.

If you go the insurance route - even if your brother picks up the deductable - your rates might go up, plus you now have a bike that has 'been down'.

I never ask to ride/drive someone else's machinery and am really reluctant if they want to try mine.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i wouldn't expect someone to pay other than the deductable if I offered the bike. should they ask to ride and then crash i would expect them to take care of it however. in both cases that means fixing the damage.to expect someone to buy because now its been crashed is unfair if it easily fixable.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once again, thanks for the replies. But I'm not going to report it to the insurance, I figure it's probably about $1000 in damage. If I make a claim, my truck insurance will probably go up, I know the bike insurance will definitely go up, if they don't cancel it altogether, the insurance for the wifes vehicle, which also has my name on it will probably go up, and I don't like dealing with insurance companies. So I guess I'm going to fix whatever is scuffed. He's willing to pay for the parts.

As far as punching someone out, well, it's my brother. So that isn't going to happen.

But I still was hoping he would buy it from me. Or still am hoping that. I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Simple Rule of thumb between my friends and I - If you wad it you bought it and everything else is on you too. In other words: Don't ride it if you can't pay for it.
Similar here.........you break it, you fix or replace it.

I will not let a person ride a bike unless they can meet this requirement. Does not matter friend or family.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I didn't see this in any of the replies (EDIT: Sorry Kaos!), but how about reporting it to your company, and he pays the deductible? Or report it to his (auto or bike) insurance company and let them handle it (the plus being that he takes the potential rise in rates, not you).

Sadly, I predict your friendship with this guy is going to take the real hit. It's why I never loan out bikes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts