Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a 1999 900ss exactly this time a year ago. I bought the bike while it was producing low compression on the lower cylinder. I figured not a bad deal for $3000. I'll just get it fixed and enjoy riding a rare and beautiful bike.
It was not until this past summer that I found a shop that was willing to work on the bike. They diagnosed the problem when the opened her up. One of the bearings had seized up and ruptured. This in turn sliced the timing belt. Because the V is an interference engine, this caused the piston heads to then begin slaming into the valves which warped them. It turns out I had low compressin on the top cylinder and NO compression on the bottom. I then gave the shop $1000 to fix the bike.
It turns out, after having my bike for a month, that the owner was an ex-con and was running a chop shop. No work was ever done on my bike after the initial diagnosis. I received a phone call from his secretary informing me that he had violated his parole and would be in jail for a very long time. This meant that the store was now closing with my bike inside laying in pieces on the floor.
I hopped in my car and rushed home! (I go to school 150mi from my home town of Dallas, TX) I skipped classes and all. I pull up to the store just as one of the other mechanics is pulling up. We walk to the front only to find that pad locks have been put on the doors and garage and that all the locks have been changed. The mechanic who I had become friends with over time had all of his equipment locked inside along with my lovely lady Ducati.
What were we going to do!? I tell you what we did! We broke in that bad boy and got our stuff out ASAP!!! I've never broken into anywhere! Much less broken anything. I was Scared S*#%less but I had been struck with the Ducati fever and frustration of not being able to ride for yet another beautiful spring and summer season! All parts of my bike were found minus the seat. Really?! Who steals a seat?
So now my bike sits with the mechanic who helped me get my bike back. All the parts are in from Italy, 2 valves, belt, and 2 of the bearings. We are still waiting on 2 more bearings from a shop based out of Ft. Worth, TX. All in all, I am only out $200 in cash which my bank could not reimburse me for being scammed. and another $300 for a nice new aftermarket seat. And about 12 months of having a bike, but not really having a bike.
So do me a favor. Before you go to bed tonight, give your baby a kiss and make sure she's tucked away for the night. And I'm not talking about your gurlfriends and wives (husbands and boyfriends for all our lady riders). Although u should probably show them some love too.
Just had to share. Thanks for listening!!! Any and ALL Comments are welcome. :eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ducati Dumps Photos

The 1st photo is the bike when I bought it. The others are how it sat the day we broke in to "steal" MY OWN bike back?

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tough times man but look at it this way, you now own a Ducati with a good story behind it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ouch

Stories like this is why NO ONE will ever touch any bike of mine with a wrench other then me. I don't care if it needs and engine top end, bottom, whatever. I even do my own paint work. It is just not worth it. Sorry to hear about your situation, but you should wind up ahead now it sounds like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts