Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting everything for my bike ready for my first track. Took bike out for a ride around neighorhood to heat up chain. I come back and take off fairing and belly pan. Oil in belly pan. The person who I took my bike to for winter maintenance decided to not properly tighten my oil pressure switch. When I first got the bike back a bolt was in the belly pan from the voltage regulator I had to reconnect. No biggee there. But now it gives me doubts as to whether I can trust anyone with my bike. Even the person who I took it to who I was told was a great Ducati mechanic. It seems I may have to double check everyone's work anyway. I mean this is not major stuff but if I had gone to my track day the oil leak coulda spoiled it rather quickly.

I mean sure when you get into taking apart everything you're bound to forget something or whatever. But it seemed sort of odd that wouldn't get caught. Maybe he didn't start it long enough and then double check for leaks. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
At my last track day, some joker forgot to tighten his oil drain plug, and yes, he went out and drained his entire oil supply on the track. It took hours to clean it up and everyone was like tip toeing around the track when we first went out. He was in the "A" Group and went out first and spoiled it for the rest of us. Now, at the riders meeting in the morning, they always tell everyone to check their drain plugs.

Mike

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Thats the main reason I do my own work and check my torque twice, then safety wire if applicable. I will know its done right. I have seen the damage of a motor being assembled with a red rag in the case to loose nuts and bolts...You name it...I only trust my work and one Ducati shop, period!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The things weren't major but it sure makes me hope there aren't any improperly tightened things like in the valvetrain. If I don't get the balls to do my own valve work by the end of the year I may either have to take my stuff to BMC in NH or the Ducshop in Georgia.

·
Super Moderator
8,212 Posts
That really sucks..

I try to do as much off my own work as possible. There are some things i haven´t got the confidence for, but oilchanges and regular service is all by my own hand or with me present.

I trust my local techs.. Sweden is abit like Germany. Everything must be "In Ordnung" or "In order" for us to be happy. So it´s not a very big problem..

//amullo

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
amullo-
Do they have a saying in Europe dont buy or service a car/bike on a monday or friday? I know guys that will go to buy a car and pull the record to find out what day the final assembly was on, and if its a monday or friday they wont buy it!

D

·
0 Posts
Synergy said:
amullo-
Do they have a saying in Europe dont buy or service a car/bike on a monday or friday? I know guys that will go to buy a car and pull the record to find out what day the final assembly was on, and if its a monday or friday they wont buy it!
Can't speak for Sweden, but we do say here in Greece "Wednesday's bikes/cars are best to buy" :).

Doc

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Synergy said:
amullo-
Yes the dreaded Friday afternoon vehicle......... :(

·
Super Moderator
8,212 Posts
Synergy said:
amullo-
Do they have a saying in Europe dont buy or service a car/bike on a monday or friday?
Yupp. I sometimes think my bike was started on a friday after lunch (with wine) and finalized on a monday morning (with a hangover). :p

But to some extent it´s true. It´s also said that if there is a new model of a car/bike coming, get the last one of the old one, since they had time to sort out the "kinks" in it. So buying a 2004 998 Testastretta is better then a 1994 916.. or so the saying goes anyway. :confused:

//amullo

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got a reminder this past Sunday that not only should you double check things which have recently been worked on, but to double check everything as well. During my ride I notice my rear brake went soft, got off to check it, and noticed that the bleed screw had backed off and fell out. So the caliper was shooting brake fluid right onto the wheel. Lovely.

I hadn't touched the rear brakes for about a year and a half. Probably had been working its way out for a while. So lesson learned.

·
Super Moderator
8,212 Posts
Tedduc said:
So lesson learned.
Yes. Take the rearbrake system off the bike and weigh it.
Write down the weight of the system
chuck it in the bin
Count how many $$$ you saved off buying carbon to get the same weight reduction. :D

Naaahhhh.. just kidding. :p

//amullo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts