Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
My bike mentions to use DOT4 brake fluid for the clutch and brakes etc...

At home however, we just have Castrol DOT3 brake fluid.
Is it ok to use that?

Bike is a 2000 748

·
Registered
172 Posts
DOT inticates fluids boiling temperature. The higher DOT is the higher is boiling pemperature. If you are not racing with your bike dot 3 should be enough.

·
Registered
153 Posts
just came across this.

there is more to the dot rating than boiling point.

do not use dot 5!!! dot 5 is silicone based and is not compatable. dot 3 and 4 are compatable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can also use DOT 5.1. Same as 3 or 4, but with higher boiling point, and better moisture protection. I got mine at Desmotimes.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i thought mine said use either 3 or 5 fluid. i always put in 3! looking online it does say 5 is silicone based and does not mix. so if this is correct and my bike does say that then you would have to completely drain the 3 and use 5. bike is away at my pops awaiting my stator rebuild or i would go check for sure

·
Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
"DOT 3-5 Fluids"

You're right sebastian. Here's how Brembo explains the MC reservoir marking in their Technical Notes:

Yes, we know the cap on the rectangular master cylinders says “DOT 3—5 Fluids”-BUT PLEASE NOTE: Silicone DOT 5 fluids are NOT generally in use in Europe, but Glycol-based “DOT 5.1” fluids ARE. Hence, the “DOT 5” cap designation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Allow me to chime in on this. We have had this debatew going on in the antique and collector car world for some time.

I would recommend DOT 5 silicone only on vehicles that spend "most" of their life in static display. Its resistance to moisture wicking is almost nil. Even then i would only use it after a thorough flushing 3-4 run complete system bleedings. Personally if cost permits i replace all the components of the system.

Ive used DOT 5 silicone for years on opne of my cars that sits for most of its life and hits the race track 3-4 times a year with no events.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
my ducati dealer told me only dot 4 for my 999
With all due respect, They are misinformed. Try the Elf Moto Dot 5.1. Dot 5.1 is a far superior product to Dot 4. It has a higher boiling point and is full synthetic. The difference in brake feel and modulation is significant in my experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts