Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Multistrada PP
83 Posts
Just added my name to the list. Had my bike in for an unrelated repair and had the dealership bleed the rear brake, yet it's barely useable compared to other bikes I've owned including other Ducati's.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Bad rear brakes on a Ducati are a time honored tradition. I have never seen anything like this ever regarding one manufacturer being able to sell multiple models worldwide year after year with essentially no rear brake, and NEVER have been forced by any country or safety organization to do anything about it. Literally Millions of Ducati motorcycles all over the world have no rear brake. Truly Amazing.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Bad rear brakes on a Ducati are a time honored tradition. I have never seen anything like this ever regarding one manufacturer being able to sell multiple models worldwide year after year with essentially no rear brake, and NEVER have been forced by any country or safety organization to do anything about it. Literally Millions of Ducati motorcycles all over the world have no rear brake. Truly Amazing.
Is this a universal trait with pretty much all models/years? The 1990s 2v SS models as well? I've ridden exactly one Ducati, an SS that had been "streetfightered" and was a bit of a junker about nine months back. I'm a habitual long time rear brake user, the rear on that 900SS felt fine, but I'm pretty foot-heavy .. soooo .. yea ...

Come to think of it I've no idea if the rear brakes were stock or something other than stock (master? caliper? rotor? pads? hydraulic line? brake fluid?) ... so ... I guess I'm no help here. Dang man, that's just wrong.

:)

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Mine are okay, but I always thought I was lucky. Heat shields, braided lines, better pads. Good as they’re going to get. Lots of complaints out there, though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
In my report to the NTSB I noted there was an accident related to my brakes. That apparanty is a BIG flag to them. I was contacted by the NTSB today. What I learned is htere is an admitted issue and recall in progress for several Ducati models. Monster, Diavel, and SS of mostly newer years. Nothing for the Multistrada. I was strongly encouraged to have anyone with braking issues on a 2010-21, or the 2013-14 models in particular to take the time to submit a complaint. Their action is as much about numbers is it is about danger. Per the investigator. I'll post the ow-to in some of the Facebook MS groups momentairly. If you have not already and have rear brake issue, file a complaint/report. If they caused or contributed to an accident, or near accident, be sure to elaborate on that.

If you cannot lock your rear wheel (ABS kick in) on dry pavement with a reasonable amount of toe force, your brake is not working correctly, report it.

·
Registered
2011 MultiStrada S Touring
15 Posts
^ could you Also share with us how you reported this? My brake is crap and the dealer doesn’t seem to have a solution.

·
Registered
587 Posts
^ could you Also share with us how you reported this? My brake is crap and the dealer doesn’t seem to have a solution.
I clicked on the link and filled out the form. Described that the motorcycles brakes have (see the list of key words in my post).

link Is in post no1 of this thread.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
One of the things that may come out of this : NHTSA may require the dealer to fix your brakes, and the expense of repairs on damn near every Ducati ever sold may put Ducati out of business.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Probably cost them $200/bike top. At $25k/bike price tags surely they have enough margin to handle.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Hopefully you’re right, What does Ducati pay their dealers for warranty work ? What is the fix ? If people could have fixed their rear brake for $200, a lot of them would have.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hopefully you’re right, What does Ducati pay their dealers for warranty work ? What is the fix ? If people could have fixed their rear brake for $200, a lot of them would have.
Well step 1 is making them do the fix. That will require some engineering. And they aren’t gonna do it unless enough people read this thread, and the posts on Facebook, and then file a complaint. I don’t have high hopes. After that, a OEM cost in a master or a caliper would be relatively low and the cost of labor from the dealer is also discounted I expect. Anyway, not enough to yank them, but they aren’t gonna volunteer. Need pressure from NTSB.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
What is the fix? If people could have fixed their rear brake for $200, a lot of them would have.
According to the investigation, the culprit appears to be faulty brake line. It will be interesting to see if this truly is the silver bullet. I don't recall seeing any posts of anyone that has done with (with success or otherwise).

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
That might be a little more believable if half the people on the forum hadn’t already done it. It may be part of the fix , but it is not a cure. Some of the models involved seemed to have brake components closer to exhaust than would seem optimal with no heat shielding. Bleeding Ducati rear brakes seems to require special techniques to be successful. It would be nice if we would be able to get on a list to do whatever repairs Ducati is forced to do. Is there a cut off date for this kind of thing ?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
That might be a little more believable if half the people on the forum hadn’t already done it.
I feel like I've read most, if not all of the rear brake posts. I can't recall reading about anyone replacing their entire rear brake line. Of course, if OEM is faulty and the line was replaced with OEM then we wouldn't expect the issue to be resolved. But if anyone has done so with success or not, I'd be interested in hearing more.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Some guy replaced all his brake lines. And did a bunch of other stuff too IIRC, but I can't remember where he is, here or on FB. DOn't remember him posting the end result though.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
It’s not like I haven’t been able to get the brake to work well, it’s that they are Brembo brakes, supposedly among the best available, and I shouldn’t have to change pads and lines to get it to work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got the expensive brake fluid, bled the brakes with the caliper in proper position etc etc last season. This season, essentially no rear brake again.

Have a Term "race" pipe so the brake line is not running near the cat since I don't have one.

Is this really a heat issue or somehow air getting in the line due to the location of the bleeder ?

It is frustrating that Ducati is not recognizing this problem on the Multi but acknowledges the other models.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Say anything you want about it, there is absolutely no way Ducati doesn’t know there is a problem.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Is this really a heat issue or somehow air getting in the line due to the location of the bleeder ?
This investigation references a faulty brake line, specifically the banjo fitting:
"A newly designed brake line, that does not allow air to enter the braking system through the collar of a banjo-fitting, replaces the existing line on a complainants motorcycle."

41 - 60 of 69 Posts