Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't believe most manufacturers ever intended the rear brake to be able to stop the bike on a dime. Single rotor, smaller rotor, usually smaller pistons, etc. The front brakes are intended to handle that job.

However, there's a huge difference between an adequately functional rear brake and a non-functional one.

I bought my '13 MTS from a private seller. As I rode away, calibrating myself to the bike, I tapped the rear brake to gauge its bite. Nothing. Then I pressed it harder. Nothing. Then harder. With my foot on the peg I had no more angle to engage the brake significantly. At some uphill stops I literally had to stand up and use my heel on the pedal to keep from rolling backwards. And this is a bike that was serviced regularly and exclusively at a Ducati dealer.

Regardless, as Stick said above, if you've experienced the issue, please report it and we may get a solid fix.

·
Registered
'17 MTS Enduro
6 Posts
Is it that hard to get the back brake right? I've tried the "tricks". Nothing really worked. I find it interesting that there's no real consensus on what causes the problem.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Is it that hard to get the back brake right? I've tried the "tricks". Nothing really worked. I find it interesting that there's no real consensus on what causes the problem.
Yes. Although I've been lucky and mine has always worked, well to the extent possible I think. I did not install any extra bleeders, but I did follow the youtube video on "mutistrada Brake fix" by Canyon Chasers. Basically the proper procedure to bleed this bike using a vacuum bleeder and the expensive Castrol SRF fluid.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In my case, a 2016 PP with the race pack or whatever it's called (Up-Map, Termi race pipe) the thing that worked was Castrol React and bleeding the caliper above the reservoir.

Prior to that I tried bleeding/flushing above the reservoir several times. Worked for a little bit, then back to the same shit. I changed to React fluid probably early last season, just took the bike out last week and the rear was still good.

I trail brake a little, but mostly use the rear to stop on hills. Prior to "fixing" it, I literally had to stand on the rear to keep from rolling back. Have no idea if the React will fix it if you have a cat though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's crazy how far I have to press down on the pedal to even sense it's biting the rotor. And this is even with adjusting the pedal to shorten the "throw" of the pedal downward. Dealership has bled the brakes already, nothing changed.

Compliant filed.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Not sure what to make of this statement but my Multistrada was getting the DQS checked out and I wanted them to check the rear brake again. I provided the DOT NHTSA ODI document and was just told that it didn't apply to the Multistrada; that it was specific to the Monster and Diavel.

:unsure:
That's bizarre. It's stated directly in the linked PDF, as well as SS, Pani, and Scrambler:

"Summary: The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) is opening this Preliminary Evaluation (PE) on model year (MY) 2012-2020 Ducati Monster, Multistrada, Supersport, Panigale, Scrambler and Diavel model motorcycles based on allegations of loss of braking performance."

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, yes. I did not have the ODI in front of me when I was told this on the phone. Anyway as I wrote above I have submitted a compliant, but not have heard anything from the investigator. If anyone has submitted and was contacted, what was the time frame? Just curious.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes, yes. I did not have the ODI in front of me when I was told this on the phone. Anyway as I wrote above I have submitted a compliant, but not have heard anything from the investigator. If anyone has submitted and was contacted, what was the time frame? Just curious.
I did the same and also nothing happened, until yesterday afternoon someone from Ducati NA called me to get me feedback on the bike, etc. No sure if things are related.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have a 2012 Diavel, the rear brake gave me problems when it was new, under warranty it went to a dealer, no fix for the brake, once it was out of warranty it went to my preferred independent mechanic who explained in no uncertain terms that the rear brake design isn't the best but if serviced properly it works just fine. He then took my rear wheel off, removed the factory ties that locate the hose and ABS sensor and flipped the caliper over on the rotor, bled it manually until all the old fluid was gone and reassembled.
I've not had a problem with mine since, i bleed it the same way once a year when i flush the fluid front, rear and clutch and the adjustment is fine. If i wanted to be fussy i could put some soft organic aftermarket pads in it for a better feel at the pedal but there's really no need.

I firmly believe they are not bled properly from the factory, and it's "supposed" to be done at pre-delivery, you know, that extra exorbitant charge you pay with a new bike... but the dealers being greedy, short cut anything that A takes time to do and B has a risk of scratching, burning, marking a brand new bikes paintwork, and it just doesn't get done.

Vacuum bleeding an upside down bleeder is fine in theory but i've never had success with it, fuck, i can't get my mityvac to seal on any bleed nipple properly........

·
Registered
869 Posts
So there I was. Stopped at a light, on a hill, on my 2013 Multistrada with my wife on the back.
I have my foot on the rear brake and I start to roll backwards
I slip the clutch and pull away up the hill once on the flats I think " hmmm this rear brake is NFG"
I apply the rear brake while travelling at 40 mph and nothing happens. Don't worry about stopping on a dime how about a little slowing down.
I replaced the rear caliper, slave cylinder, brake lines and of course fresh fluid.
I now have a reasonably functioning rear brake , not great but ok.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looks like your complaints were heard. Unfortunately, I don't see the MTS listed on the official recall list, but it is mentioned in the write-up:
Well. That's disappointing.

I'd be curious to learn how/why they ruled out the MTS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I filed a complaint too, and was pretty disappointed to hear that they didn't include this rear brake for the MTS in the recall. I ride this bike daily around 60 miles, and lane split in pretty bad traffic a lot. The rear brake is less than useless for controlling speed. I'm trying to figure out if there's a good fix anyone is aware of? I've bled it upside down, and the performance drops off after only a few miles. Disappointed to say the least.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm trying to figure out if there's a good fix anyone is aware of?
Agreed -bummer, indeed.

Various 'fixes' have worked for some, not for others. IMHO, the best bet is to bleed with the caliper upside down, as you did, then cycle the ABS 10x and bleed again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agreed -bummer, indeed.

Various 'fixes' have worked for some, not for others. IMHO, the best bet is to bleed with the caliper upside down, as you did, then cycle the ABS 10x and bleed again.
It’s sad but I’ve just learned to live with. Luckily, the front brakes are damn good, so I only need slight taps to shed a few MPH and get my speed oriented well to the traffic.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I don't suffer from as bad a rear brake as some in here, mine seems to hold the bike in place on a hill at least, and to be fair that's mostly the only time I use it. Still would have been nice to find a Ducati authorized/recognized fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the bottom line is that we all really do need to take the 5 minutes to go get your pink slip (for the VIN number), and register a complaint. The link is at the top of this thread, if you have 5 minutes to open and read this thread you probably have 5 minutes to do something about the problem that you have. If it takes you longer than 5 minutes, you got sidetracked somewhere along the way. . .

·
Registered
338 Posts
2010-2013 Also has the same fade issue. This has been a long-time running issue with Ducati and the infamous rear brake. Currently, my 2011 rear brake has been gone for over 2 years. The next fix is a DOT4 brake fluid within 800* degree boiling point. This will help fix part of the issue. Due to the heat being so close to the rear master, the fluid heats up and goes bad. Still worth the paperwork. Ducati loves to fight all their warranty or recall items.

·
AARP Reject
2,932 Posts
Speaking to the '10-12s since that's what I have experience with. The rear brake is crap and so is the rear brake master cylinder which has been a known and widely reported weakness. . They never worked properly. The MC bleeds down over time and requires routine bleeding, but this mean as often as every month or two especially if the bike isn't ridden a lot. It's true that the front provides 90% of the braking force but the rear can add up to 10% and more if the bike is pointed up hill and you are starting from a stop. The Multi effectively throws that 10% away since the pedal behavior coupled with the available braking force is so compromised. If they sold you a bike that had free 10% more horsepower you'd be over the moon. Put another way, you'd be pissed if they took away 10% of your power just 'cause.

I's been a shameful deficiency for the whole run.

Thanks for posting this [email protected] This 'deviance' from normality and reality should have been addressed long ago by Ducati. I'm reporting mine as a result of your PSA. For the record I've tried every trick known to man short of replacing them with M50s and none of the shade tree fixes work. I can bleed the thing in my sleep too.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts