Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was removing my mirrors today from my M1100, they are attached by a single allen bolt. The left one came off fine. Then I went to the right one, and the bolt wouldn't budge. I thought hmm, there must be some major loctite on this bolt. So I kept on turning it until "SNAP!!", the bolt's head snapped off! :eek:

Not to panic, I proceeded to drill a small hole through the middle of the bolt. Then I tapped a litte metal file in there and tried to turn it, it still wouldn't move. So then I decided to drill a larger hole. Then almost through the bolt, the drill caught the bolt and it started spinning OUT! I thought, what the??

Turns out the right mirror bolt is threaded in reverse, so you have to turn it CLOCKWISE to loosen it. Have you heard of anything more retarded, or is is me that's the retarted one? :confused:

Now I need to find a new reverse threaded bolt. :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow,

I'm really lucky because my right mirror came loose so I was trying to tighten it. While I was trying to tighten it my cousin who is very knowledgeable with mechanical things said "Hey I think that is a reverse threaded bolt". I had no idea this even existed.

Now I would have tried the same thing on the other bolt assuming it was reverse threaded. This possibly saved me a lot of time and/or frustration.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its so while you are riding along the wind pressure doesnt loosen them.To undo them just push the mirrors forward and they will loosen enough to undo.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Turns out the right mirror bolt is threaded in reverse, so you have to turn it CLOCKWISE to loosen it. Have you heard of anything more retarded, or is is me that's the retarted one? :confused:

Wow. No I would say the guy who designed it that way is retarded. Reverse threads are for fastenings that risk loosening (turning the wrong way) from rotation, or for safety reasons. A mirror bolt?????

I'll be changing my mirrors soon, and this post will save some high blood pressure. Thanks.

Its so while you are riding along the wind pressure doesnt loosen them.To undo them just push the mirrors forward and they will loosen enough to undo.
Still does not justify putting a reverse threaded bolt there.

Ducati have serious quality control issues.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Wow. No I would say the guy who designed it that way is retarded. Reverse threads are for fastenings that risk loosening (turning the wrong way) from rotation, or for safety reasons. A mirror bolt?????

I'll be changing my mirrors soon, and this post will save some high blood pressure. Thanks.

My S2R was the same way when I took mine off, and so your S4Rs would be.

If you can't figure out after a 1/8 turn why the nut is getting more difficult to to turn, put the wrench down. Figure it out! This is not a "quality control issue" because it effects every Monster. It is a design feature which, as previously stated, prevents high speed air flow from loosening that mirror.

·
Registered
282 Posts

You have to be kidding me..... a guy can't figure out which way a bolt comes out and you blame Ducati for poor quality. No wonder they charge so much for basic maintenance.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Quality control? you've got to be kidding! it is the same on many bikes, even back in 71 my Honda 750 had the same reverse threads on the mirror. watch out if you ever have to change a tire, lots of cars have different lug bolt threads side to side

·
Registered
539 Posts
Quality control? you've got to be kidding! it is the same on many bikes, even back in 71 my Honda 750 had the same reverse threads on the mirror. watch out if you ever have to change a tire, lots of cars have different lug bolt threads side to side
of the hundreds of cars ive taken tires off of i have never seen that! what i usually run into is that since ur on the other side of the car you need to turn the wrench the other way!

·
Registered
410 Posts

I am happy with Ducati. I think Ducati put a reverse threaded bolt there so WE can find out who the retards really are.

I think I just spotted one. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
If you can't figure out after a 1/8 turn why the nut is getting more difficult to to turn, put the wrench down. Figure it out! This is not a "quality control issue" because it effects every Monster. It is a design feature which, as previously stated, prevents high speed air flow from loosening that mirror.
You have to be kidding me..... a guy can't figure out which way a bolt comes out and you blame Ducati for poor quality. No wonder they charge so much for basic maintenance.
I am happy with Ducati. I think Ducati put a reverse threaded bolt there so WE can find out who the retards really are.

I think I just spotted one. :rolleyes:
Each of you in the above gotta be kidding

WTF putting a reverse thread bold on a mirror fitting. What is the purpose? A reverse thread mitigates the threat from wind blast on the right hand mirror more than a normally threaded one? Gimme a break:rolleyes:

Why create the risk of someone breaking a fastener. That is the only purpose of placing a reverse threaded fastener there, and was done without using matter that normally exists between the ears. It is ridiculous. Sure you love your toys, and I mine, but they are far from perfect, and improvement begins from identifying flaws.

·
Registered
182 Posts
WTF putting a reverse thread bold on a mirror fitting. What is the purpose? A reverse thread mitigates the threat from wind blast on the right hand mirror more than a normally threaded one? Gimme a break:rolleyes:
I've got to agree with this, it really didn't work. My right mirror was the first mirror to come loose :\

·
Registered
724 Posts
A reverse thread on a mirror seems a little ridiculous, it’s static and only has to deal with vibration -- maybe it was done so you wouldn’t mix up the LH bolt putting it in the RH Mirror and visa-versa.. LOL!!!! :eek: The Horror!!!:D

Chrysler did this in the 60‘s (don‘t know the range of years but maybe into the early 70‘s), putting LH threads on the passenger side wheels, but I believe stopped the practice probably finding it didn’t do much good -- maybe overkill and did more damage due to maintenance ?? My ‘78 D-200 didn’t have that feature.

So you have to wonder: The single sided swing arm has the wheel nut on the right side so you would think if anything as a safety feature the nut would be left hand threads -- but it’s not. I guess the mirror is more of a safety feature then holding the rear wheel on?????????????:confused:

Good Post, probably save a number of headaches!!:)

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's not for the wind. It is designed that way in case of crash the mirrors would fold in (towards the rider) to lessen possible front end damage.

Makes good sense to me once you understand it.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Was removing my mirrors today from my M1100, they are attached by a single allen bolt. The left one came off fine. Then I went to the right one, and the bolt wouldn't budge. I thought hmm, there must be some major loctite on this bolt. So I kept on turning it until "SNAP!!", the bolt's head snapped off! :eek:

Not to panic, I proceeded to drill a small hole through the middle of the bolt. Then I tapped a litte metal file in there and tried to turn it, it still wouldn't move. So then I decided to drill a larger hole. Then almost through the bolt, the drill caught the bolt and it started spinning OUT! I thought, what the??

I understand this to mean the bolts that fasten the mirror brackets onto the handlebars.

It's not for the wind. It is designed that way in case of crash the mirrors would fold in (towards the rider) to lessen possible front end damage.

What you mention makes sense, but I believe it is the bracket bolts that are unnecessarily reverse threaded.

My new Rizoma's will be in soon, so I will soon know what I am talking about (and carefully checking for reverse threaded bolts on the RH mirror bracket).

·
Registered
724 Posts

Not being familiar with the Monster (and didn’t take the time to look before speaking) I see it is a post style. When the term “bolt” was used I jump to a conclusion -- my bad!! :eek:

Not sure I buy the crash/lessen front end damage theory.. So it will break loose to dig into the rider? What about the bars? And if it was for wind it would loosen the mirror -- correct? Don’t they have a jam nut to allow correct positioning since you never know where the thread will start on any given part? The mirrors will usually be the first to snap off.. Possibly it is so the mirrors aren’t put in the OBVIOUSLY wrong position.??? Stranger things have happened!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts

Several brands do the same.

Should you smack the mirror on a hard surface, say the mirror of a car when filtering through traffic, and it folds back rather than snapping the mount, you will appreciate and understand the design feature.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Should you smack the mirror on a hard surface, say the mirror of a car when filtering through traffic, and it folds back rather than snapping the mount, you will appreciate and understand the design feature.

I think this explanation makes the most sense. The wind one doesn't make sense because the wind pushing on the right mirrror would LOOSEN it, not tighten it.

And for the record, I'm referring to the bolt that goes in from the top to bolt the mirror into the mirror bracket. NOT the bolts that hold the mirror bracket to the handlebar.

So looks like half think I'm an idiot and half empathize with me. I didn't post this to get flamed, just to warn others. :)

·
Registered
724 Posts

HEY, I thought splitting (“filtering”) traffic was illegal in every state (even FL?) except Calif!! WTF??? LOL!! :D

But that is about the only explanation/theory that makes any sense… good one!!;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts