Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Paint job $ 1600 or knock off chinese fairings complete set delievered $540 ?

I have some minor paint issues on the left side fairings of my bike. I can't quite afford original fairings. I can get a paint job done to cover up the imperfections and the painters assure me you wont be able to notice and scratches once they are done.

or

They make some chinese fairings made of plastic but are much cheaper. I dont really like the idea of cheap chinese plastic on my 999 but it would probably look better than scrapes down the left side of the bike as it is now. I have seen some pictures of the fairings completed on 999's and it looks ok. ( the xerox stickers are alittle tacky and who knows if they are not just stickers stuck on above the clearcoat )

People who have put them on their bike say that the pieces fit pretty well just a few holes had to be drilled in the front fairing.

What would ya'll do ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
find a better paint shop

There has to be someone out there that will paint your bike cheaper than that. I bought my bike wrecked. One of the duc shops wanted $2,800 bucks to get the bike painted. Thats almost 1/2 of what i have in the damn thing. I did all the prep work myself and they wouldnt even give me the paint codes. So i took the parts to a local body shop and got them to put the bodywork under the computer paint scanner to get the code. if you could see my bike in person and tell what parts are painted and whats not; I'll pay for your paint job. (dont take me up on that, im poor right now)

Besides the great paint job, there was the $400 dollar price tag.

Keep looking for a better shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damn that is expensive. I received a quote to paint my right fairing for 350 including prep of existing piece to which has some scratches I would just need to get the stickers if desired. This was Performance Auto Collision in Roswell which is a good shop which was highly recommended to me by several people. I was debating on repainting my stock skins or going with race skins.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
as burnham stated, find another shop!
2 stage urethane single color shouldn't cost you more than 5-600 bucks, add a couple of 100 for scratch and prep. I think the saw you coming and read the make of the bike. If I show you what I've got done for $800 you'll cry, and I have no ties to the shop, just honest people!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Screw the Chinese stuff, and find a different painter!

I paid $200 for this:

...but I know the painter and paint supplier personally. Still, you should be able to find a cheaper, quality paint job. That quote is ridiculous!!!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I saw a set of what I think was a set of the Chinese fairings at a track day.They were the Xerox set and they looked good especially the right side that had Xorex in 4in letters!

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
as burnham stated, find another shop!
2 stage urethane single color shouldn't cost you more than 5-600 bucks, add a couple of 100 for scratch and prep. I think the saw you coming and read the make of the bike. If I show you what I've got done for $800 you'll cry, and I have no ties to the shop, just honest people!
Wrong! If he was quoted 16 big ones for just a side panel, then yes, he's getting a new one ripped. But if it's a complete paintjob, then $1600 is about what you can expect any real shop to charge.

If it were a track bike, and the owner just wanted a quick reshoot of color, than it can be cheap. But a street bike with the Quality and owner expectation of Ducati requires extra effort and quality materials. If anyone has priced a quart of PPG Ducati Red or Yellow, you'll know it can run as much as 300+!

I am a painter, I have very reasonable prices for everything I do, and I have several levels of quality that I make each estimate with. There is nothing 'dishonest' about charging more to produce a higher level of quality, as long as the client is fully informed by the painter before hand, and both parties are in full agreement. Everyone has the right to choose who does their work for their hard-earned money.

The point is, painting is not just a shoot it and go, in my opinion. It is something I put my whole self into on every project I take on. More times than not, I'm losing my ass on the extra hours spent to achieve high quality results, versus the total fee for the project. But I'm okay with that, granted the client is satisfied with my efforts, and they are saying nothing but good things about my work.

To the OP: Considering money is tight for you, you will find a shop that will give you a much better price than the first one gave you, just take your time shopping around before making your decision, and don't hesitate to explain to the shop that you are on a tight budget. Not every shop is as honest as we'd all like them to be, and you'll know it based on how much detail the shop gives you on their estimate. Don't just take a "Yeah, we'll knock it out for $600, and you'll love it" estimate. Get the details like labor rate, brand of materials, level of quality you can expect, and of course - references from previous work they did (be it pictures or prior customers).

Good luck on getting her fixed and back on the road! And thanks for listening to my gripes...

·
Registered
956 Posts
$500 for: ?
For a full paintjob, with not a lot of custom, that's an OK price (I'm assuming some bodywork by the sound of it). For a panel, it's a HUGE ripoff. I had both sides sanded, the number changed, appropriate blow-ins and recleared/buffed for $500 Cdn...That's like $250 a panel incl. custom work, and the work is slightly better than OEM (a bit less peel)...

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Everyone I've looked at is at least $1k for full paint.
That's ridiculous. Unless you're getting an airbrushed, 5 coat, custom graphic paint job, that's just too much. For a bike with the chin fairing, left and right fairings, tail and tank, I would never ever pay more than $500.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
That's ridiculous. Unless you're getting an airbrushed, 5 coat, custom graphic paint job, that's just too much. For a bike with the chin fairing, left and right fairings, tail and tank, I would never ever pay more than $500.
then your likely not fussy about your bike.our shops cheapest paintjobs on a metric crusier(tank and 2 fenders) is $1000.thats also what it is flat rate paid by the insurance companys for the same.being in the trade, and knowing material prices and labor prices .your setting yourself up for dissapointment with bargain prices.but then again some like the reward of a ''good deal'' over the finish of good paint.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
then your likely not fussy about your bike.our shops cheapest paintjobs on a metric crusier(tank and 2 fenders) is $1000.thats also what it is flat rate paid by the insurance companys for the same.being in the trade, and knowing material prices and labor prices .your setting yourself up for dissapointment with bargain prices.but then again some like the reward of a ''good deal'' over the finish of good paint.
Umm, wrong. I'm VERY fussy about my bikes and cars. Don't try to paint me, pun intended, as a cheapy. But unless I'm paying for a CUSTOM paint job, there's no reason in the world to pay $1000 for a stock paint job on a motorcycle with small coverage area. Maybe it's higher where you live, I don't know, but down here in the south where we play banjos by the river, it's not that high. A Custom Paint Job on a car runs roughly $3k-$3500.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i'n not calling you cheap,just possibly unknowing.i'm constantly amazed at the quality of repairs i see on vehicles.yet the vehicle was accepted by the owner.(likely because they just don't know any better)while labour may be cheap in florida,the materials are the same all over north america.doubt quality paint work is that much cheaper anywhere

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have to aggree with 94cobra on this one. I don't know what the economy is like up there in Canada, but if you want a paint job on a bike; Right now is the time in the states. Shops are trying to find work and keep repeat customers. I had a RR painted all plastic $400, a RC 51 $350 bucks, the duc $400 my SV 650 $600 with graphics. There is aways a better price and quality work out there you just have to look. Duc owners are also looked down apon when they walk into a shop.$$$ That's why they have created this site. To help us cut back on high shop bills.

To the OP, good luck on whatever you decide. If your in the area and need some work done hit me up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you guys for your input... Ill try to take a look and see if there may be a little bit cheaper place to paint the whole bike. I think ill definitely stay away from the chinese parts. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts