Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm calling myself out, I am too old to be doing stupid irresponsible things like this. Last night my roommate and I had a guys night (Blue Label and pool) at my place then we decided to take our bikes for a spin around the block. NOT good.

Luckily I was fine and so is the Ducati ( I know you guys are concerned about the Duc more than my safety :eek:) but my roommate tipped his bike over when we were done right in front of my garage! Broke his clutch lever and all.

Oh yeah the neighbors called the cops on us, but the cops were cool with us only because we lived here.

I guess this is what happens when I relapse into my younger days (my roommate is 19 yrs old!) and do stupid things. Shame on me.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Let that be a lesson. His clutch lever is pennies compared to a DUI, or worse, a trip to the ER. Booze + bike = dumb ass.

*edit* and contributing the the delinquency of a minor :mad:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Kind of like the way my friends and I used to do, ride, smoke dope, drink, ride some more, smoke some more dope, drink and ride some more. Lucky that nobody died.

I don't do any of that shit any more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its amazing how stupid people can be.

There is no stopping it either, if you wanna be dumb and go drink and drive, the only consequence is if you get caught. Gotta love society, its not about controlling yourself, its about peer pressure and doing it because you're wasted. :rolleyes:
I completely agree, I feel very guilty and wrong because I am firmly against this type of behavior. I think drinking and driving is the worst.....I fell to the very false security of "just a ride around the neighborhood".

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I completely agree, I feel very guilty and wrong because I am firmly against this type of behavior. I think drinking and driving is the worst.....I fell to the very false security of "just a ride around the neighborhood".
Beating yourself up about it is probably a lot worse than what you did. So you made a mistake, no big deal. Focus on the correction and let it go. One of the great lessons of riding a motorcycle is that you can't hold on to stuff that happens. If some dumb ass almost kills you while you're out riding, you have to let it go immediately because it will distract you from the task at hand, which is the pavement coming at you RIGHT NOW. In other words, you have to stay in present mind while riding. You can't be riding along and thinking about what that person did. Riding a motorcycle is a very focused activity. You have to stay focused or you will get into trouble. It's like a martial art or something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I shouldn't hold on to it, just make sure it doesn't happen again. Great thought of comparing it to martial arts, you are so right!

So anyone want to share their stupid mistakes? (similar to mine)

Just so I don't feel alone ya know?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Little distractions turn into big OH SHITS... Best advice as said FOCUS for RIGHT NOW!

Mentalily patting myself on the back, for doing a proper Technique and lost the focus to see what was up in front of me , No harm but learned from it.. I only ride when it is very good conditions ....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes I shouldn't hold on to it, just make sure it doesn't happen again. Great thought of comparing it to martial arts, you are so right!

So anyone want to share their stupid mistakes? (similar to mine)

Just so I don't feel alone ya know?

Maybe you should just feel stupid for a little while as a reminder to yourself that you shouldn't let it happen again instead of others chiming in with their past mishaps to make what you did seem more ok. Because it was not ok.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I rode with severaldrinks in me (I was basically drunk) once when I was about 19 myself. I didn't feel I had any other choice since a fight had broken out at the party I was at and I wanted to get out of there.

In fact, I knew I was drunk at the time, and it was probably the most SOBER ride of my life, I was terrified.

Never had so much as a beer again after that with the bike.

Good for you for recognizing your own mistake and sharing it with the yunguns here...

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
When I was but a youngster I worked, for a summer, at a shop situated in an Italian 'piazza'.

This square was of large rectangular construction with a cobbled roadway basically four short straights with four 90 degree corners. We used to race each other round it on our bikes in the morning and the evening just before and after work started/finished, luckily no-one ever called the Police (or at least they never came out!), I got pretty quick around that place... ;)

pic of said piazza;

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm calling myself out, I am too old to be doing stupid irresponsible things like this. Last night my roommate and I had a guys night (Blue Label and pool) at my place then we decided to take our bikes for a spin around the block. NOT good.

Luckily I was fine and so is the Ducati ( I know you guys are concerned about the Duc more than my safety :eek:) but my roommate tipped his bike over when we were done right in front of my garage! Broke his clutch lever and all.

Oh yeah the neighbors called the cops on us, but the cops were cool with us only because we lived here.

I guess this is what happens when I relapse into my younger days (my roommate is 19 yrs old!) and do stupid things. Shame on me.

Is that Walker Blue Label you are talking about? If so that stuff is too damn good and expensive to get drunk on. I've done it, luckily I have never got the duc out after drinking though. Glad you guys made it out alright.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

There is no stopping it either, if you wanna be dumb and go drink and drive, the only consequence is if you get caught......
Yes it is amazing how stupid people can be, and you've proven it quite well once again.

Actually the consequence is that you can kill someone while in your drunken stupor. So you've robbed someone of their life, and deprived others of their father-brother-son-mother-daughter or spouse. Over a few drinks.

After Nick Adenheart pitched the game of his young life, his life was taken from him by a drunk. This is one of thousands of similar stories.

·
Registered
956 Posts

There is no stopping it either, if you wanna be dumb and go drink and drive, the only consequence is if you get caught. Gotta love society, its not about controlling yourself, its about peer pressure and doing it because you're wasted. :rolleyes:
If only that WAS the only consequence. Person I care about most in the entire world has three shattered vertebrae in her lower spine now because of an uninsured drunk kid in a car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Taking another person's life because a person decides to drive drunk is the reason that I make sure I never drink and drive. Drinking and riding is equally retarded, the slight difference being the rider of the bike will probably come out with the loss of life, not the car he hits.

Either way, I know that I lucked out even if it was going up and down my street twice and pulling back in. The point is that things could have been real bad.

Yes Johnnie Walker Blue Label, and this is my first time to get drunk off of it. It is too good to waste...

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
You can't be "old and wise" is you are never "young and dumb". Yes the worst thing that can happen is that you could hurt/ kill yourself and other innocent people but the worst didn't happen learn from your indiscretions- choose not to ride drunk again. Don't beat yourself up just learn from it and move on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts