Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
I enjoy riding motorcycles, I have 3. The multistrada, the R65 and an XJ550 project bike.

I enjoy working on the R65 and the XJ, but the Ducati, is a bit of a black box to me. It is something that I ride, fill with petrol and pay $120/hour to someone when anything needs doing it.

I have been reading zen and the art of motorcycle mechanics of late and from it I have worked out why I enjoy riding my R65 more than the multistrada even though the ducati is a far superior bike in every way and that is because doing the maintenance side of things ADDS to your enjoyment and appreciation of riding the motorcycle. Parsig frames it in terms of 'classical thought' (the understanding of the internal mechanisms) and 'romantic thought' (the way you feel when you ride the motorcycle) coming together to form QUALITY.

SO, the question is, how do I learn how to maintain a complex machine like the strada without stuffing it up?

OZ

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
I'm with you. I felt an immense sense of satisfaction and accomplishment spraying lube on my chain recently.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did the valves and belts on my 999. I had only done it once before on my old Yamaha. It's not a big deal, just allow plenty of time to perform the work. Go slow and be methodical. California Cycle Works has a three part youtube video (in high def no less!) showing how it's done on a 749. If you enter "Ducati 749/999 Timing Belt Change Part 1" you'll find it. I don't imagine the procedure will be drastically different. Make sure you get a factory shop manual. There are pdf versions floating around on the net which are freely available. I had a tremendous sense of satisfaction doing it myself.

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
There once was a man from Nantucket...

No, chain means CHAIN not CHIN

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the encouragement and support guys, I watched the belt changing video on youtube and it seemed a pretty straight forward procedure. I am told a shim kit is the go as well, where would you get one of these and how much are we talking cost wise?

The thought of the desmo adjustment scares me the most, I know a bloke who is a mechanic and loves it so much he does private jobs from his garage as well as working all day as well. I might get him to help me do the desmo the first time and then have a go myself.

Thanks again.......

OZ

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did the Desmo service. It's not quite the black art that the dealer makes it out to be. Get a shop manual or two, and leave yourself plenty of time.
Not sure about shim kits. There are so many possible combinations that it would have to be a very extensive kit. I found all but two of my valves within "operation" clearance and those two were within "checking" clearance. Trying to improve those two valves was a waste of time as the next shim size up made the clearances way too tight.
Your best bet would be to pull any shims that are out of spec and take them to your dealer. He should have the tool to measure the actual shim thickness (it's not the same as what is stamped - it's just close). He can then measure the replacement shim to make sure it will do what you want.
After you do the valves and put the new belts on, just be sure to turn the motor over by hand a few times. This way you know that even if you have screwed something up, at least the valves aren't going to collide with the pistons and no damage should result.
Oh yeah, and take lots of pics. Especially of the old belts and your marks on them.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I applaud you guys...

As an longtime DIY'er, I applaud you guys who are doing the 15K mile service yourselves.

After "doing" the valves on my 2V Ducati many times (heck, I eventually rebuilt the engine) I had every intention of doing all routine maintenance on the Multi 12. But I finally cried "uncle" and bought a service contract (a pretty good deal considering the amount I ride).

I think I'm finding that as I get older some things aren't quite as much fun anymore ;) (no smart comments, please)...

--Doc

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
Doc, have you tried spraying lube on your chain lately, very satisfying.

(you said no 'smart' comments, didn't mention dumb ones)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts