Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my Mobil 1 20w-50 bike oil, new K&N 153 filter, and crush washers for the drain plug and filter screen, and the tools I should need. I don't want to start an oil thread, but the Mobile 1 made a noticable drop in running temp on my 900SS/FE, so I thought I'd give it a run in the Hyper.

This is the first time I've done an oil change on my Hyper, though I've done dozens of oil changes on my own bikes. The bike has around 4k on it, and it hasn't been changed since the first service around 700 miles. I'm kind of neurotic about my stuff and I'd like to check/clean the filter screen, even though it's probably not necessary. It looks like I'll need to drop the front header pipe to get it out of the way, and I guess my question is how you guys usually do it so you don't have to try to move a hot pipe. Do you get the bike hot, drain the oil, and then just wait until everything has cooled off before you try to move the pipe and pull the filter screen?

Any other tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I've got my Mobil 1 20w-50 bike oil, new K&N 153 filter, and crush washers for the drain plug and filter screen, and the tools I should need. I don't want to start an oil thread, but the Mobile 1 made a noticable drop in running temp on my 900SS/FE, so I thought I'd give it a run in the Hyper.

This is the first time I've done an oil change on my Hyper, though I've done dozens of oil changes on my own bikes. The bike has around 4k on it, and it hasn't been changed since the first service around 700 miles. I'm kind of neurotic about my stuff and I'd like to check/clean the filter screen, even though it's probably not necessary. It looks like I'll need to drop the front header pipe to get it out of the way, and I guess my question is how you guys usually do it so you don't have to try to move a hot pipe. Do you get the bike hot, drain the oil, and then just wait until everything has cooled off before you try to move the pipe and pull the filter screen?

Any other tips or suggestions?
I always change the oil when its hot, and you will have to drop the front header pipe to get to the screen, but the SS header pipe cools quickly. Aloha Alex

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the filter screen a 14mm? I thought I had a 14mm but I guess I don't!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I always change the oil when its hot, and you will have to drop the front header pipe to get to the screen, but the SS header pipe cools quickly. Aloha Alex
You don't have to drop it (if by 'drop' you mean remove).

Just take off the bolts where the pipe connects to the front header and loosen the next connection downstream after the 90 degree bend (it's a pipe clamp... you know what I'm talking about). Then just rotate the whole thing downwards away from the header to expose the screen bolt.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
You don't have to drop it (if by 'drop' you mean remove).

Just take off the bolts where the pipe connects to the front header and loosen the next connection downstream after the 90 degree bend (it's a pipe clamp... you know what I'm talking about). Then just rotate the whole thing downwards away from the header to expose the screen bolt.
drop/rotate ... same difference when speaking of horizontal header pipe on a hypertard.

now i need to go rotate a loaf :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts