Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm still new to the MTS1200S, less than 3k miles on it. i'm used to more sport touring/sport bikes with heavy front ends. this saturday was out for one of my standard rides with the wife on the back, neither one of us would be considered 'hefty'. going into a curve, i felt the front end drifting out and had to correct immediately, thinking it could have been anything, i put her down again same speed, same angle and had same feel. i can't say i have this same feeling by myself, but not certain as most riding is with wife.

anyone else get the same feeling? is it just that the front end is that light and i have to get used to it?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Drop the nose few millimeters, or should I say raise the forks through the triples a bit and you'll find it's going to be way better, I did that and softerend the rebound on the front forks and now it's night and day, it holds a line beautifully.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Captain Obvious asks what tire pressures you had, and if the suspension was set up for a pillion...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Calvin,
You say you are new to the MTS but have you ridden other tall, long suspension travel bikes? What you describe may just be a feeling because of the "supermotard" engineering. Tall suspension with a lot of travel and therefore movement.

Other than that, check that the tyres are at the correct pressure. You should do this religiously as the Scorpions are a lightweight tyre with a thin carcass and seem(to me) to be more sensitive to minor pressure variations, especially if a bit low. Use a good pressure gauge and don't rely on a garage gauge.

Ducati say:
Front and Rear
2.50 bar (rider only) - 2.9 bar (with passenger and/or bags)
36.5PSI (rider only) - 42PSI (with passenger and/or bags)-

I use 39PSI front and 40PSI rear. I find you can really feel it if the front tyre is even 2 low PSI. I think 37PSI is too low.

Is the tyre mounted correctly? They are directional and need to be facing the right way ore they will drift. Unlikely but worth checking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
devil is in the details, tire pressure towards the upper range of the manual recommendation of 2.5-2.9 and suspension set at sport - rider +1, we had no luggage. but admittedly the wife is not the best of passengers despite how many rides she's been on she thinks the top box = la-z-boy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
timoz, good point, i am new to tall/long travel bikes, but check the tire pressure on all my bikes religiously using 2 different gauges. with the wife in tow, i am usually closer to 42psi on front and back on the MTS. i learned my lesson in the beginning, i had the front a little lower (still in range), but it felt mushy and i like to feel every nook and cranny in the pavement. checked tire, it's going the right direction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Calvin,

I had a similar experience. After I re-sprung the rear I never had that feeling again. 100nm rear spring made a huge difference in my opinion.

V

·
Registered
392 Posts
tires and rear preload

Mine felt like that as new. When I put on Conti RA2 tires the feeling was mostly gone, and I have since cranked in more rear preload and now the front feels really solid.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you are using sport mode rider plus pillion, try rider plus pillion plus luggage

If this reduces the effect you are experiencing then go for a 100lb spring on the rear

If the rear is sagging too far it's increasing the front end rake angle which slows the steering giving the drift effect

Dropping the yokes down the forks may help reduce he front rake angle back to where you are happy with the front end but isn't the ideal solution

I have the 100lb spring and regularly take 2 female pillions one maybe half the weight of the other, I can now carry the lighter at rider plus luggage, the heavier at rider plus pillion, like this the bike steers as perfect as it can with a pillion

·
Registered
750 Posts
Put me in the "correct tire pressure and pre-load camp". The Multi is a bit undersprung from the factory, so next time you're out with the Mrs., crank your settings to rider + passenger + luggage (i.e. max setting). Even with that, if the two of you combined are 300lbs+, you'll likely need a stiffer spring in the back. Low rear = high nose = :eek: :eek: :eek:

-SM

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I agree with most of the above, namely stiffening up the rear to reduce any bump induced oscillations. Dropping the front a few mm will make very little difference apart from maybe slightly quicker turn in.

What will make a difference, is moving your body weight froward i.e. head right up near your inside hand. The extra weight forward seems to work wonders.

My 2c

PS: this bike is very sensitive to P.I.O.s (pilot induced oscillations) especially with its combination of long travel suspension and wide handlebars. Often when the front moves around in a turn it's the result of an unintentional input from the rider. After hopping off my GSXR (much heavier steering) it sometimes takes a few corners to retrain myself for the "sensitive" front end on the Multi.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
As a slight aside.

To all you guys who think the MTS is undersprung.

Do Italian made "slim fit" shirts not even come close to fitting you and are only for skinny metrosexuals?

Are Italian shoes small and narrow?

Just curious.

·
Registered
483 Posts
but admittedly the wife is not the best of passengers despite how many rides she's been on she thinks the top box = la-z-boy!
that might be the clue why you are running wide.
When my wife started riding with me, she sat up a couple of times midway through corners and I almost shat my pants. The bike just wants to go straight when she did that.
Bad pillion behavior/posture can cause you a lot of oversteer.

Now that she is used to riding, we do a lot if twisties and single riders must try hard to keep up

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
As a slight aside.

To all you guys who think the MTS is undersprung.

Do Italian made "slim fit" shirts not even come close to fitting you and are only for skinny metrosexuals?

Are Italian shoes small and narrow?

Just curious.
TIM OZ,

I think your right on it....If most of us are honest, and too continue the stereotype, I'm sure we (The forum appears to be mostly US, Assie, UK, and Canadian) out weight the "average" Italian test rider by a fairly large amount. I weight about 190 lbs and am fairly big compared to the average Italian...(and I do live in Italy).

I am still working on mine, but to me the front end has never felt planted and totaly confident, (when pushed pretty hard). I did come over from a Fireblade, and super stiff MX race bike. I really hope the Andreani Group Cartridges and Ohlins shock will help it feel planted when pushed hard.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I also had that vauge front end feel and I'm not 2 up. I tried everything from maxing out suspesion setting to dialing in my own. When I dropped the cat off and installed a mid pipe the front got worse. The cat is about 9kg so a lot of weight was shed, but I think the culpret is the Pirelli Scorpions. I have just shod mine with a new set of Conti Sport Attacks and the front feels much better. Oh and the rear is a 190/50/17 not a 55 because I had these tyres on the shelf for my Beemer. I have 2 more sets to get through before I go back to a 55 profile. To be honest I can't tell the difference from a 55 to a 50 profile on this bike.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The vagueness you speak of is something I have always experienced two up.
The suspension is ok when all maxed out, for me alone so I have not changed the spring.
Might try the fork raising for the occasional weekend away with the wife.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I found mine wandered more than my other bikes till I closed the throttle out of the corner and the front wheel hit the deck and headed in the direction I expected!

I find the scorpions awesome when matched with traction control - I can hit the throttle stops out of a tight corner and all I get is a wiggle out of the rear end as the dtc kicks in and does its job. On my S4RS on super corsa's doing the same manoever caused the rear end to try and overtake the front end.

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I weigh 165.

Never two up.

And the front end seems to know what I'm thinking almost before I think it.

Default single rider no bags is perfect.

Sport mode requires maybe a touch more concentration when tipping in.

Dan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts