Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 03 999 base that I'm wanting to put a termignoni system on. The full systems are expensive and I'm happy with sound alone so I think the half system may be the way to go for me. Perhaps it will retain more low and mid range with the half system.

Anyway, I found a used half system for sale sale off an 04 999s. Does the half system fit a base 999? I'd imagine the ECU won't work because it raises the redline 1000 rpm which you probably don't want to do on the base engine. So maybe a pcIII and the half system will work?

Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
80 Posts
my bet is no. different engines. if it fit, they would just make one pipe and make it fit all models. this is much more cost effective.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fox said:
my bet is no. different engines. if it fit, they would just make one pipe and make it fit all models. this is much more cost effective.
My understainding is that all Termi slip-ons are the exact same canister.

·
Registered
80 Posts
what about the input pipe diameters? i thought there was 50mm, 54mm, 57mm and a 62mm systems?
have someone measure the diameter of the tubes for the input on the can... if they match your bike... go ahead and try it out... worst case you just have to sell the half system to someone else

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The 999s is a deep sump model and the 03 999 isnt so a full system does have different pipes but having looked at my own 999s i dont see any reason why a half system off a 999s wont fit an 03 999.All the other parts look to be identical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fox said:
what about the input pipe diameters? i thought there was 50mm, 54mm, 57mm and a 62mm systems?
Supposedly the 999s half system for sale is a 50mm. Seems small, do you know what the stock system is on a 999? I'm just trying to avoid taking it apart until I have to. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stock system is 50mm afaik

UndergroundLare said:
Supposedly the 999s half system for sale is a 50mm. Seems small, do you know what the stock system is on a 999? I'm just trying to avoid taking it apart until I have to. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
VoyagerDude said:
My understainding is that all Termi slip-ons are the exact same canister.
Sorry, need to clarify.
I meant to say that all Termi slip-on canisters are the same for 749/999. Not sure about the the canisters from 54mm, 57mm etc full systems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info guys.

I found out some more information and I just wanted to share it with you all. I found out over at the speedzilla forum that the downpipe (that is included with the half system) for a 999s is different than what a base 999 would require because the 999s has a deep sump engine. Therefore the system will not fit unless you retain the stock downpipe from the forward cylinder, or purchase one sans cat separately.

I will most likely just buy a new half system now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
if you are thinking about cost effectiveness, you could do what i did (as suggested by jason at section 8) and get a the full system for a 749, and then ditch the ECU and just use a PC3 on your stock ECU. It was actually cheaper than a half system for the 999, and its a 54mm system. its not Ti, but you only loose 5 more pounds for the Ti system... not cost effective for me... i'd rather spend it on suspension and new wheels.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i have read the deep sump pipes will work on the shallow(749,early 999},but not the other way around

1 - 11 of 11 Posts