Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum and about to purchase a new Ducati.

One major question is: I am 6-2 and about 190.

Does the Multistrada 1200 have an upright sitting position?

Also, I have knee problems, and cannot bend my knees back very
far past a 90 degree bend.

Would the Multistrada 1200 be comfortable for me?

Any imput would help.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Premium Member
12,388 Posts
Just say "WRAP HER UP"

Can't see a a reason why it wouldn't ...
Inseam is what really matters ...
32 inch and up will do nicely...
Only one way to find out for sure, try one out , but be warned they are addicting..

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
Hello,

I am new to the forum and about to purchase a new Ducati.

One major question is: I am 6-2 and about 190.

Does the Multistrada 1200 have an upright sitting position?

Also, I have knee problems, and cannot bend my knees back very
far past a 90 degree bend.

Would the Multistrada 1200 be comfortable for me?

Any imput would help.

Thanks,

Richard

so im guessing that you havent seen a picture of a multi yet ... specifically pictures of people riding them in an upright position ?

:rolleyes:

sometimes its really hard to take a person seriously

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I'm 6'2" and have changed the foot pegs to SW moto lowers pegs 10mm and added 30mm risers to the bars and can ride all day.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I'm 6'2" and have changed the foot pegs to SW moto lowers pegs 10mm and added 30mm risers to the bars and can ride all day.
Were you able to use the stock cables with the 30mm risers?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not as tall as you (5'11"). However, from my experience (2011 Multistrada touring), the bike offers a very upright riding position and is very comfortable. As others have suggested, go for a test ride, or just sit on it to get a feel for it. I think you will like it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
so im guessing that you havent seen a picture of a multi yet ... specifically pictures of people riding them in an upright position ?

:rolleyes:

sometimes its really hard to take a person seriously
+1 what the?

... "I'm thinking of buying a car. Never seen one before. Are they good?. Perhaps an AMG Mercedes would suit me."... :think:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
+1 what the?

... "I'm thinking of buying a car. Never seen one before. Are they good?. Perhaps an AMG Mercedes would suit me."... :think:
I had you pegged for a Smart Brabbus edition

·
Premium Member
12,388 Posts
+1 what the?

Takin the piss, is he mate:think:

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
Play nice you guys. New user. OK? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all for the help...

For those of you who want to poke fun at me, and suggest I should be
smart enough to "just go sit on one" or drive one, you don't live in Palm Beach
Florida, where most people are over 80 years old and can't spell Multistrada,
I have to drive for hours just to go see one!!!!

But thanks anyway,

I may not actually be that dumb...I am now 65 years old and retired
20 years ago, have been bike riding, playing golf and tennis for the last
20 years....how about you????

·
Premium Member
12,388 Posts
Well there young fella.
Think you can handle it?
You will never do it any younger...
Lots of people get poked fun at here ...
Sometimes not so nicely but all in all , well behaved most of the time with a 5-15 % error rate 5 % of the time...
Think long and hard about geting a 150 HP screamer of course you can put it urban or touring mode and it will behave very nicely .
Florida you say,not many twisty roads but you can always go on an adventure with the bike trailered , or ride the darn thing , What ever you want to.

Lots of senior Gentlemen here from all walks of life and some very impressive journeys,

Got the itch? Make an adventure out of it and go see some , you HAVE THE TIME , If you are going to take the plunge get the good comfortable gear and HAVE AT HER...
Buy from a reputable dealer and make sure it is set up proper and the dealer has you back , some really good dealers and some money grabbers too.

If you find out that it is not for you well at least you tried and they are very desireable as used bikes ...
You will have no trouble selling it .

Golf and Tennis will seem rather boring after some rides .

It is a wonderful way to get some Brain exercise , and work on the hand eye feet coordination, You must do all things right and be awake and aware. It is GOOD for the soul ...
People lack ADVENTURE and get stuck in ruts and get stale.

It is ALL GOOD and you can be walking around with your chest stuck out , that you have decided to go this route , JUST be careful and use your head and get lessons if you think you need then somebody telling you how to improve is well worth the few $$$ spent.

If you do decide to buy there is a wealth of knowledge and lots of friendly people to help you out with your questions or concerns.
I can Guarantee it would be exciting and you will have a ball.
DON'T LET FEAR STAND IN YOUR WAY...:D
Good luck and post away with any further questions...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Your only 65?
I thought you said you were 190. :D

But seriously, I am 6ft2 (don't know how many pounds or cubits I am).
I think the MTS1200 has a very upright position with plenty of legroom and minimal knee angle and almost no weight on the wrists. I have the comfort seats and it is very, very comfortable all day bike once you get used to it.

I made a few basic mods like laminar Lip screen and I raised the bars.
See this post for the details: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/106062-mts1200-raised-handlebars-el-cheapo-fast-easy.html

There is about 22-25mm of slack available in the control cables and hydraulics but you have to take care routing the throttle cables.

I would also say that a sit on one or a quick ride will not do the bike justice. I bought mine sight unseen and un-test ridden. My first ride felt strange, I felt locked in the seat and the pillion seat pressing into my rear spine felt like it would annoy after a while. WRONG. This is great and I find it is actually supportive. I ride about 100km twice a day and it is great. I have done all day rides and never felt the need to move around to relieve pressure. I really long ride I use an Airhawk airseat but I don't use it often.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks to all for the help...

For those of you who want to poke fun at me, and suggest I should be
smart enough to "just go sit on one" or drive one, you don't live in Palm Beach
Florida, where most people are over 80 years old and can't spell Multistrada,
I have to drive for hours just to go see one!!!!

But thanks anyway,

I may not actually be that dumb...I am now 65 years old and retired
20 years ago, have been bike riding, playing golf and tennis for the last
20 years....how about you????
I dont know how tall or strong you are but height of the bike is one of the limiting factors that I can see for many guys, much moreso than the riding position. I'm 5'10" and I can almost but not quite get both feet down flat on the ground at stops. The more you have to lean it over to put your feet down at stops the stronger you're going to have to be (or slide your butt off one side and balance on one foot).
From watching my father and father in-law as they have gotten older I noticed they had a rather steep loss of strength from 65 and up.
I'm not saying dont consider one, because they are very comfortable (upright seating position) and a complete hoot to ride (one of the funnest bikes I've ever owned), but keep in mind that it is not the easiest bike to manhandle at stops or when moving around the garage because of its height.

Edit: An additional thought, check out the ride report from Dr Greg over at ADV rider. He recently retired and seems to have no problems with his Multi from a comfort standpoint.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I find the multi very upright and comfortable. Test ride one as others have mentioned.
Yes, I'm same height and love the riding position. It is just slightly tight but having that passenger seat to rest against is wonderful.

Bottom lumbar disc is broken. L5. The support is perfect as I guess when you're tall and long legged you get sort of wedged in there.

Makes it an all rounder I guess because apparently the seat height also works for shorter legs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts