Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 748 has a dark smoke higher windscreen on it that the p/o installed. I've always loved the look of the low stock height windshield and was thinking of ordering a dark smoke factory height one but am I going to dislike it? I ride the 748 on the street only. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I have a similar height screen on my 916 and it reduces wind to the head by a significant amount. Prior to fitting I would get a 'head weave' at speed unless I really tucked in.

I prefer the look of the original but as mine is the same style and only lightly smoked it doesn't stand out too much so I'm happy with it.

Yours, being so dark stands out more.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
It makes a little difference, but it is ugly. I'm over 50k street miles and numerous track days over the years on several 916 series bikes.

The difference b/w the two are negligible, and w/ regards to form over function for one of the lesser comfortable SBKs out there, I suggest going w/ the looks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I fitted a 'double bubble' prior to a recent tour, it made a huge difference to comfort. I have kept the original and will pass on to the next owner, I will never go back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a tinted double bubble on mine. It's a lower version. I'm 6'2" and I need the slightly higher windscreen to be able to see the speedo and tach when in normal street riding position.

I don't notice any difference of where air hits me vs stock when riding on the street or track.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I too have a smaller double bubble version , the larger versions IMO are just ugly as is the stock clear screen.
It all comes down t personal preference

Does it make a difference? .......... maybe slightly

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too have a smaller double bubble version , the larger versions IMO are just ugly as is the stock clear screen.
It all comes down t personal preference

Does it make a difference? .......... maybe slightly
What brand is that? That is one gorgeous bike!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I had a Puig DB on the bike for a while. I'm 5'9"(ish), so likely any benefit is lost on me. I went back to the OEM screen, I like the look better. Of the DB screens, I liked the Puig shape best. The one I have is clear to very light smoke. I still have the screen. If you want to try for yourself, PM for a special deal! LOL.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
The darker screens do help seeing the gauges and warning lights.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the Zero Gravity db on my panigale for a little bit, while it did move the airflow up, it changed it in such a way as to turn me into a bobble-head. Needless to say I'm back to the stock which I still complain about since, combined with the glossy LCD, makes it virtually impossible to read the dash in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just curious, what is it about the OEM screen that you dislike? Shape or lack of color?
The shape of the OEM is fine , it's basically a total dislike that I have towards clear windscreens.
If I could have found an OEM shaped tinted screen for a reasonable price at the time I would've went with that, but I couldn't, so I didn't >:)
I have the same dislike towards clear helmet visors ,,, I have quite a collection of clear visors with the protective film still attached , I always buy & install tinted visors before ever using a helmet.

·
Registered
444 Posts
What brand is that? That is one gorgeous bike!!!!!
Thank you , yes she is gorgeous & yes she does get ridden, 50K kms on the clock ...

The brand ,, well , it's a Pit Eck ,, cheap .... a lot of complaints about their fairing kits in regards to the quality & fit , I wouldn't know ... but the screen fits perfect to an OEM nose.
I love the shape, it's not an overzealous double bubble & it's dark which is a must for me personally

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I had a Puig DB on the bike for a while. I'm 5'9"(ish), so likely any benefit is lost on me. I went back to the OEM screen, I like the look better. Of the DB screens, I liked the Puig shape best. The one I have is clear to very light smoke. I still have the screen. If you want to try for yourself, PM for a special deal! LOL.

This is the ideal look for a screen on a 916 series imo ( i"m biased as I have the same screen on my bike)
I've always really like how the second bubble mimics the raised bump of the fairing, it gives the front as a whole more definition than the stock screen which I think is too flat.
I also really like the light smoke of that screen, again for giving the front end more definition versus a clear screen

·
Registered
46 Posts
WHen i bought my 998, it was fitted with a raised windscreen. Apart from beeing so ugly that Tamburini would have tipped the bike over if he saw it, the screen also sent air directly onto the helmet, making my head move around and also making loads of windnoise. After a short period i refitted the original screen and the duc acted liked it should: Let the drivers head sit free in the wind where there is no noise or turbulence.
Did i mention that those raised screens are ugly as f...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts