Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm considering buying a 1198. Does this bike have too much power for street use? Say, a roll-on between 4000-7000rpm. I mean do I have to focus so much on throttle control to prevent wheelies or breaking the rear tire loose that I can't enjoy riding this bike? Would love to hear feedbacks for 1198 owners.

A little history so I don't sound like a complete squid-
I have had an '05 999 and an '06 999R. Both with mods(full exh, custom mapped PC3, sprockets). I love how they performed for what I used them for, which was mostly storming through back roads and 2-3 track days a year. I sold them 2 years ago for financial reasons. I've been riding a '07 Gixxer 1000 since. I've been happy with the Gixxer but it just doesn't have the feel and personality of a Ducati. Its time for a Ducati again :)

Thanks for your feedbacks.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Well today was a good example, as it's the first time I've wheelied in a long time (I have a 1098, not 1198). I gave it about 3/5 throttle off the line (after letting the clutch out), then around 5-6K I gave it more (lots more and quickly), and it came about two feet off the ground, and when I looked at the speedo I was doing 108. Normally, I don't give it after giving it, and I don't wheelie, so I think if you are same about it the power is completely streetable and not at all 'wheelie prone'; if you snap the throttle, you'll wheelie; if you don't, you usually won't. It all depends on how you use the throttle. If you WANT to wheelie, it will; if you don't, it won't.

Perfectly streetable machine if you have your wits about you.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
No. It's all the rider imho. My ZX14 doesn't have too much power. I'd like a lot more personally. ;) I'd rather modulate than twist and wait.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than it is to ride a fast bike slow.
I agree completely.

I have had so much fun on my little 250cc 2-stroke bike, way more fun than the suzuki 600 i4 I had...it's just much more of a thrill to be at max throttle instead of 30% throttle.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree completely.

I have had so much fun on my little 250cc 2-stroke bike, way more fun than the suzuki 600 i4 I had...it's just much more of a thrill to be at max throttle instead of 30% throttle.
My 250 2stroke is a beast I can not tame. My 1098 is a beast I am trying to tame. Does the 1198 have too much power for the street? Hell yes it has too much power for the street. 170 hp on a 370 lb machine? Its insane. Then again, a 999r has too much power for the street. I think the air cooled engines are the best for the street. Not crazy fast, but very fast.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My 250 2stroke is a beast I can not tame. My 1098 is a beast I am trying to tame. Does the 1198 have too much power for the street? Hell yes it has too much power for the street. 170 hp on a 370 lb machine? Its insane. Then again, a 999r has too much power for the street. I think the air cooled engines are the best for the street. Not crazy fast, but very fast.
+1, I still can't out ride my CR250

·
Registered
490 Posts
Speaking of the GSXR, I remember my first really fast bike...

It was a 1992 GSXR 750 with full Yoshimura Duplex race exhaust.

That bike had a lot of weight up top-- the tank was heavy.

So I twisted it all the way and it just kept going faster and faster and I just couldn't let go because the feeling was so good.

Pretty soon I was doing 100 in on the outskirts of Honolulu, in residential area.

I hit the brakes and almost did a stoppie, running through a traffic light, narrowly being hit by a few cars. I didn't care much, I was in my 20s.

·
Registered
123 Posts
just don't pin it in first gear...

in my liter bike.. I roll out in first.. and then knock it into second.. and twist the wrist..

·
Registered
66 Posts
test rode a 1198 20 mile ride from dealer here in SF. I have a 999R. my first thought after merging onto an open stretch of freeway wide open throttle in 2nd front headlight pointed at the clouds was holy sh*t this thing has too much power for the street. Riding that bike on the street is like renting a room to a smoking hot highly intelligent alcoholic prostitute with a great sense of humor and promising yourself that you'll just be friends.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
test rode a 1198 20 mile ride from dealer here in SF. I have a 999R. my first thought after merging onto an open stretch of freeway wide open throttle in 2nd front headlight pointed at the clouds was holy sh*t this thing has too much power for the street. Riding that bike on the street is like renting a room to a smoking hot highly intelligent alcoholic prostitute with a great sense of humor and promising yourself that you'll just be friends.
I test rode a 1098R last year, I found it no trouble on the street.

I liked it a lot better than the 848 I also tested.

Tom

·
Registered
154 Posts
Any bike over a 250cc has too much power for the streets, I can almost ride my 09 ninja 2fiddy at full throttle but it tops out at 95mph

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm almost afraid to admit this but my 84 Maxim 400 with shot swingarm bearings was the FASTEST I ever rode. I was faster than my friends on their FZ600s because I didn't care, I pushed it, slid the tire (not a problem on that bike) because I was young and had a group of friends who all had much faster bikes, and I wanted to keep up. If I could ride Dafy like that I'd be a happy camper. I COULD, not afraid to crash, just afraid of the $$$ if I tossed her.

My earlier comment is somewhat wrong, this IS too much on the street if you use it to it's potential or anywhere near it. If I pushed my bike like I pushed my Maxim, I'd be in jail, for sure...or broke from crashing...or possibly dead LOL...

Sucks.

I need a used R6 with 1 dead cylinder...and some track days...

I guess it all depends what you want. If you are a street rider and REALLY want to push it, a big Duck is probably not the way to go...

Shawn

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I test rode a 1098R last year, I found it no trouble on the street.

I liked it a lot better than the 848 I also tested.

Tom
Tom's responses are best. They mirror my thoughts. Real men can handle it. ;) :D MORE PLEASE! :eek:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Tom's responses are best. They mirror my thoughts. Real men can handle it. ;) :D MORE PLEASE! :eek:
I think the OP was asking about streets that aren't flat and straight like Fla. You can ride anything in florida, if you can stay awake long enough.;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
it'll only goes as fast as you twist the throttle. If a rider can't control his throttle hand, don't blame it on the bike.
+1, and to take that statement a step further, I find the control of the 1198 throttle to be far more superior to any bike I've ever ridden. You can't think of it in terms of, "Is it too much for the street?", but rather, "How smooth and responsive is the bike?".

The 1198 is smoother than the 1098s I rode as well. The throttle, clutch, and feel overall of the 1198 is cleaner, tighter, and more responsive than any other bike I've ridden. I considered a really clean Black 2006 999s (2K on the odometer), but after test riding both, there was no comparison.

Now if your question is, "Can I full throttle the 1198 on the street?", the answer is very rarely. There is so much power that the potential to maximize it on the street is a big hell no, but you can certainly find moments and certain locations where you can set the sleeping beast free to roar a bit. And there is always track days...

Are you an experienced enough rider to fuck with 180 hp V-twin? It certainly sounds like it, but that's really a question only you can answer. I would guess yes. You have a 999r, so you obvious own a bike that likes to go fast, and I am sure you'll love the control the 1198 gives over an enormous amount of power.

Hope that helps, but if you have any specific questions, PM me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you can't handle the clutch pull on a new 1198, then you should probably ride a Ninja 250.

A little is good. More is better. Too much is just right.

You never know when you might need to outrun a motorcop. Wheelieing away at a buck twenty five will let the air out of them.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts