Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I never go to the track. Only use my 02 998 for the streets/canyons. Came stock with 120/70 in front and 190/50 in rear. However, I have several people saying I need to change to 190/55(better performance), and others saying my (stock)rim is the wrong size for that change and would do more harm than good. If this is a repost can you direct me to the original post since I couldn't find it? Otherwise, educate me please because I don't want to buy tires that are wrong for what I have and how I ride. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you are concerned, you can contact the tire manufacturer (for the tire you want to use) with your wheel specs and see if mounting the tire on your stock wheel is within their design limits. The cross-sectional width is the same, but the sidewall is about .4 shorter and the tire's OD is about .8 smaller.

I can't imagine it won't properly fit the rim, but there may be a meaningful difference in handling. If you change it, may I suggest that you just be ready to spend a bit of time getting used to it before you decide to pursue its limits?

·
Registered
200 Posts
on my R1 i went 180 and it might just be me but i took corners much faster.also im 5'3" so it was alot harder for me to throw the bike in a corner at high speed. :)

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
O.K. I never go to the track. Only use my 02 998 for the streets/canyons. Came stock with 120/70 in front and 190/50 in rear. However, I have several people saying I need to change to 190/55(better performance), and others saying my (stock)rim is the wrong size for that change and would do more harm than good. If this is a repost can you direct me to the original post since I couldn't find it? Otherwise, educate me please because I don't want to buy tires that are wrong for what I have and how I ride. Thanks guys.
Most Ducati superbikes come with a 5.5" rear wheel, which is ideally suited for a 180 series tire. Many of the large displacement bikes came OE with a 190 series tire (not positive about the 916-998 bikes), whereas the smaller displacement bikes (i.e. 748/749/848) came with a 180 series on the same 5.5" wheel. A 190 series tire is more ideally suited for a 6" wheel. Why Ducati did this, I don't know for sure, but probably for more side grip on the big bikes.

Most will agree the 180 tire on the 5.5" rim is the better combination regardless of the bike; offering better handling with sufficient side grip. Those that go to a 190 series tire usually do so with a 6" wheel. I just had a 190 series tire on my 749 with 5.5" wheels and hated it; totally killed the handling. It will come down to personal preference on what feels right to the individual rider.

As far as the aspect ratio goes (the /50 or /55) like stated above that is the ratio of side wall height compared to the width of the tread. The /55 tires were introduced a few years back, supposedly to get even more side grip. Even thoght the size markings are standardized, the manufacturers specs are not always spot-on. Just because a tire is labeled 190/50 doesnt mean the tread is exactly 190mm with a 95mm sidewall height nor will a 190/55 have exactly 104.5mm sidewall. You need to find a tire that works well for you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A 180/55 rear is perfect for your 998.

The 190/50 doesn't handle as good, and a 190/55 is a bit too big for your rim.

120/70 front is fine.
I knew this was the right forum for good info. o.k.-lets say I switch to the 180/55 tire. Will I need to make any significant suspension adjustments given that it's street use only? Or can I just leave it where it is?Also, will it have any noticeable affect on ride height? Thanks for all the info guys. That really helps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
not to throw a monkey wrench into you decision, but my 05 999 came with the 190/50 rear tire and i switched to the 190/55 and absolutley love it, i am 5'10'' tall and with my riding gear i am about 200lbs. i think the reason why i like it so much is the new rear tire put the rear of the bike up and lowered the front making it easier to turn in.......my .02

jon

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not to throw a monkey wrench into you decision, but my 05 999 came with the 190/50 rear tire and i switched to the 190/55 and absolutley love it, i am 5'10'' tall and with my riding gear i am about 200lbs. i think the reason why i like it so much is the new rear tire put the rear of the bike up and lowered the front making it easier to turn in.......my .02

jon
my 998 came stock with 190/50 also. Did it(190/55) make your bike much taller, cuz I'm only 5'6" and need all the reach I can get:D

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,399 Posts
+another to the 180/55 have been running them on the 998 for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
+1 to a 180 unless you use Bridgestone R/S-002's, which are narrower than other brands, or even their own BT016's. Don't ask me why, no idea.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+another to the 180/55 have been running them on the 998 for a couple of years now.
And you definitely like them better than the stock 190/50? Did you notice any difference in the height of the bike, or cornering grip?

·
Registered
797 Posts
180 Vs. 190

This has been beat to death....
I'm sure it is somewhere that can be still read, but even with a 135rwhp motor in my 996, I love my 180/55 hands down and many many tracks days full of smiles to prove it. On the track I've smoked many with the "big" tire.....Bigger really is not better, and if your bikes handling has been professionaly set up for a 190 and it works, then you would not be asking this, right?

For the street, it only wins for the Poser factor....

I'll spend the extra $40.00 on beer/fuel/food/entry-fees Vs. buying a 190, just do not need it, at least for me.....

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,399 Posts
And you definitely like them better than the stock 190/50? Did you notice any difference in the height of the bike, or cornering grip?
No, I can't honestly say I have noticed a difference in the height. However, I am about 6' tall with very long legs! Grip seems fine too, its been several years since this bike ran a 190 but I haven't wanted to go back so it must be okay:D.

The only major change that was made to the suspension was to re-spring the rear shock, but!! our bike left the factory as a monoposto, yours is a biposto and will have a heavier spring in it anyway to deal with pillion weight.

Mbevans is right - these bikes were over-tyred from the factory - it is a cosmetic pose type thing I reckon as well. If you don't like it, go back to the 190, but I think you will find it is just fine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This has been beat to death....
I'm sure it is somewhere that can be still read, but even with a 135rwhp motor in my 996, I love my 180/55 hands down and many many tracks days full of smiles to prove it. On the track I've smoked many with the "big" tire.....Bigger really is not better, and if your bikes handling has been professionaly set up for a 190 and it works, then you would not be asking this, right?

For the street, it only wins for the Poser factor....

I'll spend the extra $40.00 on beer/fuel/food/entry-fees Vs. buying a 190, just do not need it, at least for me.....
I don't care about poser factor-I care about fun factor. Suspension was set up by race tech a few years and 25lbs ago. I'm just looking for improvements. Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts