Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll be the minority in my reply but I'll post it anyway.

When I had my Hyper I paid $450 or so for a GPR steering damper to deal with head shake. A few months later I had my suspension resprung, revalved, and setup by Traxxion Dynamics. After that the head shake was gone and the damper unnecessary.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Weird .. Guess he needs one.

·
Temporary greeter
23,089 Posts
I'll be the minority in my reply but I'll post it anyway.

When I had my Hyper I paid $450 or so for a GPR steering damper to deal with head shake. A few months later I had my suspension resprung, revalved, and setup by Traxxion Dynamics. After that the head shake was gone and the damper unnecessary.
Looking at the video and my experience and I'd say you were spot on. His suspension looked WAY too stiff. Almost looked like he was going to lose brake fluid a few times.

The only shakes I have ever got were from tire and suspension setups that were wrong.

Also it happened over the hill when his front tire was really light. Looked like a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
OT - But I'd love to hit that track !

·
Registered
140 Posts
wierd, if you check out 4:46, he has a very similar incident.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, get your suspension set up properly. There should be someone near you that knows their shit and it costs less than $70. Good suspension is key. Key as fuck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's also interesting that he posts about his super lightweight set of wheels that doesn't dampen as much as stockers...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No doubt that suspension is the key and no question that you need to rule out the cause before putting the damper, but any ideas if having steering damper could prevent this crash? It is really scary how fast it happened and it doesn't seem like experience or skills would matter during that split second, once it started.

I think, I am still in favor of having one, just in case.

btw, any recommendations for good place to do suspension setup near Chicago?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
He looks a tad on the agressive side to me, rollin' out of the pits on supposeby cold tires and passing everyone in sight...

·
Registered
193 Posts
personally, I like to have one anyways.. needed, probably not. But it's an extra sense of security... like an alarm system. Don't need it, but great to have if you ever need it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
OP, I didn't catch whether you plan to take your SF to the track. If not, I'd say I doubt you'll really need a damper (unless you pull routine wheelies at speed). If so, then a damper is relatively cheap insurance (your setup will never be perfect for all conditions).

In my experience, my former ride, an S4RS Monster did not have a damper, while my 1198 SP does. The RS felt flightier than the SP yet never got out of hand, so since I never felt the need for a damper on that Monster, the one on my SP is probably just yoke-bling - on the street :eek:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
it seems there was depresion in the road, it looked like just tire wear marks but every time he crossed it he would get a lillte woble on the handle bars. my first sport bike, an fzr600 would do this to. i would get tankslappers at 120+ and get a little wobble when i changed lanes from differnt types of pavements. i just excepted it and thought it was just normal. 3 new bikes later and now i realize how messed up the suspension was on that used fzr600. The only bike that i have had with a steering damper is my f1098, i dont know if i really need it but knowing its there is like wearing full leathers. peace of mind:)

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

As long as everything is aligned with direction of CG motion ,wheels and tires, and everything is balanced evenly side to side: tires, wheels, and left and right side of suspension have equal preload and dampening, then no wobbling or head shaking could occur. Physics doesn't work that way.

So what is out of balance on this guy's/your bike. If either shock had greater/lesser preload, comp/rebound dampening this could set up an oscillation, ie. head shaking. In fact no matter how small the imbalance it will osolate, whether or not it is strong enough for you to feel it or for it to affect the bike is a different matter. Or maybe you are accelerating and the front wheel is getting light, but you are pulling back unevenly on the bars. Just an once or two. So unbeknowst to yourself you are creating an imbalance. The tire comes down and in a self correcting manner ( all actions have an equal and opposite reaction) slaps back the other direction.

I learned quickly on the f1098, that if I brought the wheel up in any way, I had to put it back down straight and aligned or the head was going to wiggle.

On another note, when I had my suspension done by a pro. $40-100, I forget, one side was a little different than the other. He corrected this, and the bike turned much better afterward.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I learned quickly on the f1098, that if I brought the wheel up in any way, I had to put it back down straight and aligned or the head was going to wiggle.

On another note, when I had my suspension done by a pro. $40-100, I forget, one side was a little different than the other. He corrected this, and the bike turned much better afterward.
Much agreed here... My R6 would get a head shake if I bought up the tire and put it down in any other direction than straight.

I had the suspension setup for me on the Ducati after about 1500 miles (really not enough time to tell -- or give feedback to the tech, but I wanted to be safe). More than likely at 5-6k I will trade out my internals..

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
btw, any recommendations for good place to do suspension setup near Chicago?
Check out Ken Hall at SBK Suspension. He does a full set up at many midwest STT trackdays for $80. If I'm not mistaken, his shop is in Romeoville, but he's often on the road going from trackday to trackday. I have his contact info somewhere if you need it. He set my 999s up last Fall at Gingerman and it felt much more planted afterwords.

Sent from my DROID4 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
38 Posts
I work with who was riding that bike. The bike and him came out ok, the bike now has a dampener on it i do believe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts