Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First time poster here. I just bought a 1995 748 and working through a raft of small issues, with help from you all here, so thanks!

I'm currently sorting out the plastic fuel quick releases which have failed and the airbox which has more cracks than the Grand Canyon. Together with the tank wobbling around (have checked pin and rubber bung) I can't see the airbox sealing properly without some serious intervention. The current plan is to repair the airbox with carbon and epoxy and replace the stock low profile airbox seal with some 12mm x 12mm open cell foam door seal.

This leads to my question. Has anyone considered making a lid for the airbox rather than relying on the tank? It would seal a heck of a lot better and weigh close to nothing. If not, I might try making my own carbon one.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
334 Posts
I put a new rubber seal on mine and it seals perfectly, it's even a little tight to get on. Nothing a drop of rubber grease couldn't help with :)

Replace those plastic QR's with metal ones too.

·
Premium Member
1997 748 Mono
120 Posts
Sorry I don't know about the airbox - just chiming in to second the suggestion of replacing the plastic fuel quick releases with the metal ones. I can search up my source if you need it but my plastic ones failed and the metal ones inspire significantly more confidence

·
Registered
176 Posts
The intake system was considered pretty carefully when Tamburini and Bordi designed it.
A bigger airbox gave better results (see 'Kayalami frame' for further evolution) . A lid would reduce the size.

Pressuriation is important too- the whole thing is supposed to be a Helmholtz resonator. This is the 'intake roar' and sounds great from about 4500rpm as you've no doubt found out...

Your open cell foam strip will work well for getting a good seal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The intake system was considered pretty carefully when Tamburini and Bordi designed it.
A bigger airbox gave better results (see 'Kayalami frame' for further evolution) . A lid would reduce the size.

Pressuriation is important too- the whole thing is supposed to be a Helmholtz resonator. This is the 'intake roar' and sounds great from about 4500rpm as you've no doubt found out...

Your open cell foam strip will work well for getting a good seal.
Thanks for that. I was thinking a thin carbon fibre lid with minimal clearance to the tank. I'll give the foam a go and shelve my lid idea ;o)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts