Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
First of all i want to say i enjoy reading this thread and appreciate the intelligent posts. This thread was started 6 months after I bought my first bike (m696). I was 24. At the Time it was the clear choice for a new rider with aspirations of riding the renowned brand. Sadly I got tired of that bike and went to a m750. Not before trying a honda, Which was great but I am partial to Italian style. the 750 was ten years older than the 696, and it was better. The 1999 m750 > 2009 m696. So I guess they sort of lost their way. But the story gets deeper. My 750 would have been great forever but it was aging and the speedo/odo broke. What do I do? Repair this old clunker that I love or try something new and top of the line? I sold the 750. The buyer said it broke down on the ride home, sadly. I picked up a 1100s. It's nice and new and pretty. But it handles worse and it's very uncomfortable. You can't win. These bike's are quirky and temperamental. They are not perfect. I am looking forward to the new generation of sbks so I can just ride on the track where they are designed to be used. With lower maint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally Posted by DesmoDog
Considering the company was founded to produce components for radios I doubt the answer is the one you think it is... and they got into motorcycles via producing an engine that was meant to be attached to a bicycle so even the bikes weren't born out of a burning desire to race.

As much as people like to romanticize the idea, they are not the Ferrari of motorcycles. That is not a bad thing either.

BAM! There it is, RIGHT there. Nicely said DesmoDog, nicely said.
I second this and agree completely

·
Registered
114 Posts
So if Borgo Panigale starts installing radios/stereos on their bikes as standard equipment, will that be considered getting back to its roots, or further evidence of the factory losing its way?

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
the company was founded to produce components for radios
In 1887 Torakusu Yamaha was successful in repairing a reed organ at Hamamatsu's elementary school, and in 1889 established Yamaha Organ Works as a limited partnership in Hamamatsu.

So what's yer point? That we all lose our way LOL?

·
Bon Vivant
10,411 Posts
Kawasaki is an industrial equipment and ship building company, MV Agausta started life building aircraft parts and the original parent company still builds helicopters and parts today...

The original company no longer builds motorcycles, perhaps they've gone back to their roots?

·
Registered
511 Posts
First of all i want to say i enjoy reading this thread and appreciate the intelligent posts. This thread was started 6 months after I bought my first bike (m696). I was 24. At the Time it was the clear choice for a new rider with aspirations of riding the renowned brand. Sadly I got tired of that bike and went to a m750. Not before trying a honda, Which was great but I am partial to Italian style. the 750 was ten years older than the 696, and it was better. The 1999 m750 > 2009 m696. So I guess they sort of lost their way. But the story gets deeper. My 750 would have been great forever but it was aging and the speedo/odo broke. What do I do? Repair this old clunker that I love or try something new and top of the line? I sold the 750. The buyer said it broke down on the ride home, sadly. I picked up a 1100s. It's nice and new and pretty. But it handles worse and it's very uncomfortable. You can't win. These bike's are quirky and temperamental. They are not perfect. I am looking forward to the new generation of sbks so I can just ride on the track where they are designed to be used. With lower maint.
Your M1100S handles worse? Something's wrong here. Maybe Ohlins has lost their way.

·
7,733 Posts
Considering the company was founded to produce components for radios I doubt the answer is the one you think it is... and they got into motorcycles via producing an engine that was meant to be attached to a bicycle so even the bikes weren't born out of a burning desire to race.

As much as people like to romanticize the idea, they are not the Ferrari of motorcycles. That is not a bad thing either.
Give credit where credit is due. Ducati picked themselves up after WWII, having been almost bombed into oblivion, and within one year after they started building Cuccilo engines, "their bikes" were winning races. Perhaps Ducati never started out specifically as a racing company, but that "burning desire to race" was already so deeply seeded within the psyche of the culture, it was just a matter of time before they, like pretty much all other Italian autmotive firms, pitted their products against the competition's in road races.

"...In June 1946, Ducati also began to supply Cuccilo engines. At this stage, Ducati was still called S.S.R. (Societa Scientifica Radiobrevetti Ducati)...

...as early as February 1947, the Cuccilo was winning races..."

(Standard Catalog of Ducati Motorcycles, 1946 - 2005, Ian Falloon, 2004)

BMWphiles are known as what? "Piston"-heads? ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ok, in THAT aspect, what about Honda? Have THEY lost their way? I mean from a guy that raced cars before WWII to a piston ring maker to a Cuccilo-like machine, to race bikes, cars, touring bikes, dirt bikes, aircraft, mopeds, copy-cat V-twin sport bikes, etc, etc... I mean for argument's sake. Lemme go get a scotch and we'll continue this.:)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Check your tire pressure. I'm at about 30 to 32, front and rear, depending on the day. Track day after track day, mountain rides, whatever, my Monster is one of my most favorite and fun machines I've ever had...

·
7,733 Posts
Ok, in THAT aspect, what about Honda? Have THEY lost their way? ...
Honda has "a way"? :)

I mean from a guy that raced cars before WWII to a piston ring maker to a Cuccilo-like machine, to race bikes, cars, touring bikes, dirt bikes, aircraft, mopeds, copy-cat V-twin sport bikes, etc, etc... I mean for argument's sake. Lemme go get a scotch and we'll continue this.
Exactly...Honda is a producer of 2 wheeled weekend recreational products for the masses that are sold along side a host of other motorised recreational and consumer products, they are not a motorcycle specific company born out of the ashes of destruction. They are a conglomorate that may have vision in terms of diversification, (making improved versions of the designs created by others by the way, CB750 foremost among the examples, ;)) but according to a good many Honda fans, (go visit Honda websites) who have for years complained Honda has done nothing remarkable, and who point to the new VFR 1200 as proof that they are totally out of touch with what people want, not to mention the DN-01. :rolleyes: At least Ducati's new bikes disappoint mostly only Ducati owners/fans who like to live in the past because unlike Honda's new models, Ducati's are selling like crazy, and winning awards and accoldades, so yes, Honda has lost the way it never had. ;) How's that scotch?:)

201 - 213 of 213 Posts