Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
I can't, at this point fault Ducati

I only found Ducati a few years back. There's a host of older models to keep my interested up, I don't think I will run out of new material to interest me.. I don't need the latest and greatest. But, I do understand the company needs to chase the trends to keep sales up.

But, was the company found and developed for sales or racing?

I think most know the answer and hope Ducati does not go the way of the mass marketeers.

The best way to ensure a solid customer base is to limit your products, but limiting there price is important too. Just because you can make a fortune on a particular unit doesn't mean you should. The market will do it own thing after the product enters that area.

Every quality orgainization needs to have something more than a marketing plan. The rest will come and has for Ducati, but if they're not careful they will just be another small company losing it customer base.

For me theres a wealth of older models to spend my money on.

I do think Ducati has damaged there reputation more with the plastic fuel tank thing and all the market innovations they can come up with will not take that negative shit away.

They need to grow some balls and provide a tank and repainting of the entire bike policy with a properly constructed tank. They are doing themselves and all there followers past and present a real disservice.

I know they think, screw you and what are going to do. There's a sucker born everyday with deep pockets. Well, I'll never buy a plastic tank Ducati of ther present composition and if you do speak with your wallet, the market value will suffer and maybe they'll get the point.

Speak with your wallet, all else will follow. Get wined and dined and you've just screwed yourself, then it is hopeless battle.

My 2 cents,

Later, George in Delaware

·
Super Moderator
26,095 Posts
So, can we make a sticky so every couple months or so when somebody asks if ducati's lost their way, or don't make great bikes anymore, they can just post them there? ;)

Chris
Yeah, that's why I responded with that link apparently nobody has looked at. Maybe I should just merge the threads now?

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I know they think, screw you and what are going to do. There's a sucker born everyday with deep pockets. Well, I'll never buy a plastic tank Ducati of ther present composition and if you do speak with your wallet, the market value will suffer and maybe they'll get the point.

Speak with your wallet, all else will follow. Get wined and dined and you've just screwed yourself, then it is hopeless battle.
Makes sense/cents to me. ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Chuckracer, thanks for merging the threads!

Speaking of epically bad threads, I was just thinking, do you think that Ducati may have lost their way by going down on a watermelon?

:D :p

·
Banned
183 Posts
This last post is an excellent point: Many of the Ducati "faithful" aren't really in the market for a new bike because their current ride isn't currently produced. I ride a 1995 SS. The bike that gets me most fired up is an NCR Milona, but with a headlight and turn signals. As a result, when I walk into the local Ducati dealer, the sales guys just give me a nod and let me get on with the business of buying oil filters. Meanwhile, I keep wondering if they're going to get a nice 675 Daytona in on trade.

BUT - what I do find interesting is our fascination with "Italian-ness" and "Italian style." I haven't been there recently, but on my last trip in 2007, I was amazed at how American the style of dress was and styles of eating/living/dressing/purchasing were. We didn't invent undie-less girls showing a centimeter of butt crack. There is nothing stylish about sneakers, regardless of which side of the Atlantic you're on. Don't get me wrong. The disposable plastic knife, fork, and spoon I got in a boxed lunch in Florence had more style in them than I have in my whole body, but in general, we seem to think everything made in Italy is 246 Dino gorgeous. Regrettably, it isn't so. Italians are quite competent at ugly. Ducatis likely represent the latest in Italian thinking.
Well said,Cheers,Dave

·
Registered
620 Posts
I can't believe I wasted all this time reading this utterly useless thread from start to finish...

I'm pretty sure Ducati will do just fine even if a handful of whining and sentimental ST/SS owners were to quit buying new bikes because "Ducati no longer make bikes the way I like them".

Ooops, Ducati just missed out on something like 15 sales - in total! Somehow I doubt that's going to break their corporate back...

Why don't you buy one of these instead? Nice and comfy and with plenty of room for a passenger, too :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,095 Posts
Only if it has Anti Lock Brakes and Traction Control and Throttle By Wire and Power Modes and Electronically Adjustable Suspension and Keyless Ignition and Automatic Porta Potty and is styled like a "Tron" bike... :rolleyes:

·
The Dude
4,391 Posts
I don't know, that's awfully fancy.........I remember when walkers were so much better when they had tennis balls on the legs and they sure as hell didn't have those new fangled brake levers. Stupid walker compay's have lost sight of what appeals to the market. :mad:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
But, was the company found and developed for sales or racing?

I think most know the answer and hope Ducati does not go the way of the mass marketeers.
Considering the company was founded to produce components for radios I doubt the answer is the one you think it is... and they got into motorcycles via producing an engine that was meant to be attached to a bicycle so even the bikes weren't born out of a burning desire to race.

As much as people like to romanticize the idea, they are not the Ferrari of motorcycles. That is not a bad thing either.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The reality here is that they will build what they think will sell the best. A bike that is very simple, like my 95 900SS cannot be built and sold at a competitive price from Ducati. They can't beat the Japs at that game. So it makes sense to go the other direction, and command a higher price.

Fine by me, I don't want something that makes me consider giving up the ole SS. But I wouldn't mind adding a street fighter alongside it.

Don't expect a company to stagnate and remain in business. Look at Honda's over the same time frame. You can say they aren't relevant anymore, but the company sold 13million bikes around the world last year. Irrelevant? Hardly.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Regarding the original question as to whether Ducati has "lost its way", I think it depends on what "way" means. To some, it may mean a boutique marque that continually pushed the envelop while retaining a distinctly Italian character - the anti-UJM. Cost of ownership and reliability were secondary considerations to Ducatisti, who owned Ducs because they had a "soul" other motorcycles lacked.

Over the last several years, the line has been blurred somewhat between their Japanese and German brethren with a number of new offerings and models with lower cost of ownership and comparable reliability. During that time their market share, while still only around 10%, has doubled while others share has shrunk. Still, they retain that cachet they've always enjoyed, and are still considered an aspirational marque, even though their cost is now more in line with their counterparts. Some might say these achievements, especially in these troubled economic times, suggests they've "found their way".

While I wish they still did a simple, true sport tourer like the ST, I'm glad their recent offerings are so successful. Now that I own one, I'm committed to the brand so I want Ducati and a strong dealer network to thrive.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Considering the company was founded to produce components for radios I doubt the answer is the one you think it is... and they got into motorcycles via producing an engine that was meant to be attached to a bicycle so even the bikes weren't born out of a burning desire to race.

As much as people like to romanticize the idea, they are not the Ferrari of motorcycles. That is not a bad thing either.
BAM! There it is, RIGHT there. Nicely said DesmoDog, nicely said.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
. and they got into motorcycles via producing an engine that was meant to be attached to a bicycle so even the bikes weren't born out of a burning desire to race.

ah dogshit

Attachments

181 - 200 of 213 Posts