Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had my bike in the shop 12 times for the stalling issue. My dealer has told Ducati 3 times it need's a new ECU like the performance one that will give it more fuel. Ducati always says no.

The owner says he will sell me one for dealer cost and is tired of Ducati screwing me and them. The dealership is being very good about the whole thing and it's not their fault.

Does anybody know the real dealer cost for an ECU?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
if your dealer is being so good about it, they should fix the issue under warranty ... and if your not happy with the bike when it is fixed ... then hit them up for a dp race ecu @ their cost.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have now had my bike in the shop 12 times for the stalling issue. My dealer has told Ducati 3 times it need's a new ECU like the performance one that will give it more fuel. Ducati always says no.

The owner says he will sell me one for dealer cost and is tired of Ducati screwing me and them. The dealership is being very good about the whole thing and it's not their fault.

Does anybody know the real dealer cost for an ECU?
Tell them that you want the cams kit, which comes with the 18% richer ECU, that way you can do intake & exhaust mods, and cams later if you want, just my 2 cents, Aloha Alex

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if your dealer is being so good about it, they should fix the issue under warranty ... and if your not happy with the bike when it is fixed ... then hit them up for a dp race ecu @ their cost.

That's exactly what I said in my post. The dealership keeps getting turned down by DNA on the performance ECU. They have tried to get the performance ecu 3 times and Ducati won't cover it under warranty. DNA told them the last time to replace the stock one with another stock ecu which we knew would not fix the problem.

The dealership is trying to help me out and sell me one at cost and I am just trying to find out what the dealer cost is.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Just a thought. Maybe it's not the ECU! My bike ran fine with the stock ECU.There are a lot of other bikes running around with stock ECU's.If they have replaced it 3 times already.... maybe it's not the culprit.Tell them to swap the "bad ECU" into one of their demo bikes and see if it stalls.:think:
They may be nice guys, but I think they're barking up the wrong tree.The bike does run on the lean side with the stock ECU, but it runs. If your bike is leaner than normal you may have a vacuum leak or a problem with the O2 sensor.I'm assumeing they have reset the TPS values and checked cylinder balance?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a thought. Maybe it's not the ECU! My bike ran fine with the stock ECU.There are a lot of other bikes running around with stock ECU's.If they have replaced it 3 times already.... maybe it's not the culprit.Tell them to swap the "bad ECU" into one of their demo bikes and see if it stalls.:think:
They may be nice guys, but I think they're barking up the wrong tree.The bike does run on the lean side with the stock ECU, but it runs. If your bike is leaner than normal you may have a vacuum leak or a problem with the O2 sensor.I'm assumeing they have reset the TPS values and checked cylinder balance?
The entire engine has been apart twice. They have done everything they can. The only thing that's not been changed is the stock ECU for a performance ECU.

They already knew it was going to run the same no matter how many times Ducati replaced the stock ECU.

They also tried the exhaust guide seals.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
The entire engine has been apart twice. They have done everything they can. The only thing that's not been changed is the stock ECU for a performance ECU.

They already knew it was going to run the same no matter how many times Ducati replaced the stock ECU.

They also tried the exhaust guide seals.
:eek::eek::eek:For stalling:confused:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
(hyperdookie) has a point, DID your dealer try your "bad" ECU in another bike with the same results as your bike? Aloha Alex

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stock ECU's were not bad. No need to try swapping them.. We all know what the problem is.

Just need the fueling of the performance ecu.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The stock ECU's were not bad. No need to try swapping them.. We all know what the problem is.

Just need the fueling of the performance ecu.
12 times? They call it the lemon law here in NY. Call the attorney generals office..... It's not your problem, it's Ducati's. 15k +/- for a bike, it should run.

·
Registered
174 Posts
you never said, but what has been done to your bike that requires you to need the DP ecu?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Your choice of dealer.
I'm not trying to be a dick.In fact, I feel bad for you.What these guys are telling you doesn't make sense.I have never heard of tearing down an engine(twice) for a stalling problem.It's possible they modified the heads during the "rebuilds" changing the porting and/or compression causing the bike to need more fuel, but then that's their problem to solve.If your bike is stone stock in the airbox and exhaust department, it will run with the stock ECU if tuned right.The performance ECU may fix your problem but the question remains, why can't they make a stock bike run on a stock ECU? In fact it may run rich with just the performance ECU and no other mods.You may want to call DNA yourself.
I'll shut up before you tell me to:). I feel for you man. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Your choice of dealer.
I'm not trying to be a dick.In fact, I feel bad for you.What these guys are telling you doesn't make sense.I have never heard of tearing down an engine(twice) for a stalling problem.It's possible they modified the heads during the "rebuilds" changing the porting and/or compression causing the bike to need more fuel, but then that's their problem to solve.If your bike is stone stock in the airbox and exhaust department, it will run with the stock ECU if tuned right.The performance ECU may fix your problem but the question remains, why can't they make a stock bike run on a stock ECU? In fact it may run rich with just the performance ECU and no other mods.You may want to call DNA yourself.
DITTO! :D Aloha Alex

·
Registered
592 Posts
+1 on the 02 sensor being suss. get one of those 02 sensor eliminators and it should help the issue making the bike think its not idling.

mine used to stall all the time stock when pulling upto lights, I think you can blame the EU emissions laws for this. I've heard the same about aprillas doing the same thing and my mates new gixer750 was also a bit duff till the o2 sensor was replaced.

if you were ever going to think about getting the race exhaust just take the dealer up on his offer of trade kit (2-1 or 2-2) and be done with it, just make sure they fit it for free, or get the cams kit and a set of zards and get them to fit it free.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't want to hi-jack a thread, but this concerns me a bit...

I've just ordered a new '09 Hyper S but I deliberately didn't buy a(nother) KTM due to the year-long internet discussion about their single 650 engines stalling... and KTM HQ/ dealers just burying their heads for as long as they could. It was a flywheel thing in the end.

I think what the the o/p was getting-at was that Hypers don't run well with the standard ECU, but frankly we shouldn't have to i. spend £1000 extra on an exhaust, ii. remove an o2 sensor (whatever that is), or iii. have dealers tinker with the bike, which should be set-up correctly by the manufacturer, surely? If I'm exaggerating/ being too pessimistic, please shout me down.

I'm kind-of fussy (understatement!) and my bike stalling just once will be enough for me if it wasn't my fault, especially as it can be dangerous etc. Is it too much to expect these bikes to run properly? If the Euro regs are messing things up, I accept that the manufacturers have to wangle things, but then they should supply us with the bits to get the bike running properly IMO i.e. the Termi/ DP ECU.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
When my bike was box stock, I had no serious stalling issues. Maybe a couple of times it stalled when the engine was cold. I agree with Hyperdookie, your bike should run OK, if a little choked, with the stock ECU and if it doesn't there is something else wrong that your dealer should diagnose and fix. Could be the 02 sensor, throttle body air bleeds out of whack, could be the temp sensor, poor electrical ground or any number of other things. If so, slapping on a DP ECU might very well make your problems worse.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your choice of dealer.
DNA is the ones telling them what to do. I have been talking to TJ at DNA and they are the ones advising my shop about what to do. DNA are the ones that told them to send the engine off for the head work and seals. I know this because DNA called me and told me themselves.

The o2 sensor was done already.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I don't want to hi-jack a thread, but this concerns me a bit...

I've just ordered a new '09 Hyper S but I deliberately didn't buy a(nother) KTM due to the year-long internet discussion about their single 650 engines stalling... and KTM HQ/ dealers just burying their heads for as long as they could. It was a flywheel thing in the end.

I think what the the o/p was getting-at was that Hypers don't run well with the standard ECU, but frankly we shouldn't have to i. spend £1000 extra on an exhaust, ii. remove an o2 sensor (whatever that is), or iii. have dealers tinker with the bike, which should be set-up correctly by the manufacturer, surely? If I'm exaggerating/ being too pessimistic, please shout me down.

I'm kind-of fussy (understatement!) and my bike stalling just once will be enough for me if it wasn't my fault, especially as it can be dangerous etc. Is it too much to expect these bikes to run properly? If the Euro regs are messing things up, I accept that the manufacturers have to wangle things, but then they should supply us with the bits to get the bike running properly IMO i.e. the Termi/ DP ECU.
If you're that fussy you shouldn't be buying a Ducati.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
DNA is the ones telling them what to do. I have been talking to TJ at DNA and they are the ones advising my shop about what to do. DNA are the ones that told them to send the engine off for the head work and seals. I know this because DNA called me and told me themselves.

The o2 sensor was done already.
:confused::confused::confused:
DNA is telling them to charge you for their fucked up bike under warranty?
You shouldn't pay a f'n penny.As a matter of fact, you should be flogging the hell out of one of their loaner bikes at a track day!
Again, I'm not trying to start shit.Quite the contrary.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts