Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I would come here and ask you guys before going and buying this thing. Well first off this will be my first Ducati, but definitely not my first bike. I found a 2003 Ducati 999 Biposto with 10,090 miles on it. It has a tinted windshield, Termignoni exhaust, and race ecu as for mods go. The bike comes with all the service records to date and the two regular keys including the red key. The price we have agreed on was 6,000 and I was wondering if this is fair and what I should look for when I go look at the bike. Pictures of the bike are attached. If you have any information that would help I appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice. What tires are those?
Owner said they are Dunlop D616 tires with less then 200 miles on them and it just got a brand new battery. He is meeting me tomorrow at the mechanic so I can look at it and test it out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
6K seems dirt cheap for a bike like that if it's in good shape. Those (999's) list around here (CA) for around $7,500 to 9,500. Not sure what they actually sell for.
Those are Dunlop 616's, They were stock on my Buell Ulysses. You'll want to change them out asap unless you plan on doing some off-roading :D.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6K seems dirt cheap for a bike like that if it's in good shape. Those (999's) list around here (CA) for around $7,500 to 9,500. Not sure what they actually sell for.
Those are Dunlop 616's, They were stock on my Buell Ulysses. You'll want to change them out asap unless you plan on doing some off-roading :D.
Haha trust me I plan to change them out but you really think thats cheap for the bike?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wouldn't say it's cheap. I would say it's right on par.

Keep in mind that in about 2,000 miles you will need a service. That will likely be around $600. I can't remember the price exactly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I paid 9k for my 2004 999s the 999 about 7k so I'll say it's a smoking deal just keep in mind the 12k service is about a $1000

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I wanted to update you guys on this. I went and looked at the bike and its immaculate. I bought the bike for 5,500 yesterday, but the only thing that worries me is that I was riding home and about 2 hours in oil started leaking everywhere on the highway, but I pulled over. So I inspect the bike on the side of the road and no more oil is leaking and its running fine. I continue to drive it home about another 30 minutes without a problem and no oil light. The seller did tell me he just did the oil change. Do you think he over filled it?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Possibly, but I would check for where that leak is coming from.... you still have the stock slave cylinder on there. Those are prone to being a piece of shit.

Keep in mind it is almost a 10 year old bike, I have the exact same one. You are going to run into some issues. But it is a great and easy bike to work on. Congratulations on the purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Possible too much oil and being siphoned off by air box breather. Either way, I think you got a great deal. I couldnt find one out this way for under 7500. And the tires? They can handle decent speed and are very good in the wet. Designed to handle the Ulysses which is a 1200 cc upright adventure bike. Not really designed for off road at all kind of a cross over.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Possible too much oil and being siphoned off by air box breather. Either way, I think you got a great deal. I couldnt find one out this way for under 7500. And the tires? They can handle decent speed and are very good in the wet. Designed to handle the Ulysses which is a 1200 cc upright adventure bike. Not really designed for off road at all kind of a cross over.
Thanks I just took it all part and noticed it was coming from there....weird it leaked that much oil just randomly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
bizarre tire for a 999, he must of got em cheap or free? lol Anyhow that exact bike was my first duc. red 03 999 bi, had 6400 on it paid 7500 like 4 yrs ago. Then I needed a red frame so bought a 06s, and 3 999rs since then, their addicting! you'l love it

·
Registered
445 Posts
I went and looked at the bike and its immaculate. I bought the bike for 5,500 yesterday...
If it turns out there is nothing significantly wrong with this bike then you just scored a fantastic good deal (even with those unsuitable tires - I'd replace them ASAP). Congrats.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it turns out there is nothing significantly wrong with this bike then you just scored a fantastic good deal (even with those unsuitable tires - I'd replace them ASAP). Congrats.
No problem at all man...except for one small scratch which you can't even see unless you got a foot away from it. Very happy with my purchase. And I am surprised how good those tires stick to the road, but they definitely will be replaced soon!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I sold mine in May 2010 for $6,300 with a little over 6000 miles. It needed tires and a valve adjustment/belt change though.

$5,500 seems like about right to be honest. I suspect most sell in the real world around there these days. Maybe a little more but not much. People can ask whatever they want, but if you want to sell these days most times you end up feeling like you gave it away.

As for oil leaks, mine was very sensitive to oil level, if it was overfilled even a little you would see it on the vertical cylinder and it would collect behind the battery. I kept the level just above the minimum mark and it seemed to help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sold mine in May 2010 for $6,300 with a little over 6000 miles. It needed tires and a valve adjustment/belt change though.

$5,500 seems like about right to be honest. I suspect most sell in the real world around there these days. Maybe a little more but not much. People can ask whatever they want, but if you want to sell these days most times you end up feeling like you gave it away.

As for oil leaks, mine was very sensitive to oil level, if it was overfilled even a little you would see it on the vertical cylinder and it would collect behind the battery. I kept the level just above the minimum mark and it seemed to help.
How many quarts of oil is the bike suppose to have in it?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Use the sight glass,have slightly under half way.bike level and standing straight up,and not running

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wanted to keep you guys updated. I noticed that oil was all over when I took the fairings off so I cleaned it all up and then I noticed the drain plug was dripping so I did a whole new oil change with shell 5w 40 oil. I ran the bike for 200+ miles and not one single drop....does this sound normal? Do you think there was just two much oil and it sprayed every where on the engine? I am clueless, but I am happy there is no more leaking.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I wanted to keep you guys updated. I noticed that oil was all over when I took the fairings off so I cleaned it all up and then I noticed the drain plug was dripping so I did a whole new oil change with shell 5w 40 oil. I ran the bike for 200+ miles and not one single drop....does this sound normal? Do you think there was just two much oil and it sprayed every where on the engine? I am clueless, but I am happy there is no more leaking.
No more leaking sounds good, 5w 40 isn't recommended tho.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts