Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new tire delivered. I want to take the back tire off and have the dealer switched the old for the new one. I heard that for the 1198 and 848 you need a special tool. Is it true for the hypermotard too?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
not as far as I know. I changed my rear myself and the only "special" tool I needed was the big ass socket.

·
Registered
80 Posts
HI,
You need to get the rear wheel nut socket. I'd highly recommend the www.speedymoto.com

http://www.speedymoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=04-0203&Category_Code=SMT

A standard socket in this size is problematic as it might slip off because of torques involved. You also need a good torque wrench as well to do the job properly as the nut needs to be torqued to specs when remounting the wheel.

good luck
Chris

He's right.
Yoy need a good torque wrench.
And make sure the nut line up with the nutch on the thread.
Because you have to reinstall the round clip arround the nut.

:)

·
Premium Member
12,356 Posts
46 millimeter socket 3/4" drive ...3/4''male X1/2"female adapter... 2 foot long 1/2" drive breaker bar... got mine @ princess auto happened to be on sale less than $30,oo and I bought one of their torque wrenches for $18.oo tested it against a $250.oo Snap On torque wrench and it is within reason go figure. I think the 46mm = 1-13/16 " . These become must have tools. You might want to grind off 1/8" from the socket for a better fit

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nothing Extremely Special

I just got my new tire delivered. I want to take the back tire off and have the dealer switched the old for the new one. I heard that for the 1198 and 848 you need a special tool. Is it true for the hypermotard too?

Although you need nothing extremely special you will need a 46 mm socket. I would recommend a steel one, not aluminum. I just finished blowing out the 1/2" drive hole in my brand new aluminum one loosing my rear nut. You also need a torque wrench that will allow you to put 176 NM of torque on the nut. Most 1/2" drive torque wrenches will do it. You need to get the back tire elevated. I recommend a Pit Bull rear stand. You may also need an adapter for the 1/2' drive on the torque wrench to increase it to a 3/4" drive because most sockets that are 46 mm are 3/4" drive. You may need a piece of pipe to go over the end of the breaker bar when trying to loosen the nut. An extra 2' should do it. If you can find an assistant to hold the brake for you that while you break the nut loose that would be helpful too.

If you can't find a 46 mm socket a 1-13/16" is the same size (really it's .0014" larger but this doesn't make a bit of difference).

Good Luck

Manymotos

·
Registered
605 Posts
Make sure you get a six point socket, and grind off the lead in taper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts