Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2001 996S for about 9 months now. I wanted and found a very original bike without excessive modification or wear and tear. I also read over 300 forum threads so as to prepare myself for the ownership experience. I bought it on Ebay and generally took the seller at his word, "The bike is very clean, runs well, never had any problems".

The most amazing aspect of ownership so far has been how right he was. The bike looks very good and pulls very hard and it has almost 16,000 miles. I changed the brake pads (about 40%) worn, new clutch plates (same wear as brakes), changed the belts, checked the valves (all within spec), replaced some rubber like the solenoid holders and airbox seal, installed metal fuel disconnects and finally cut the burnt connector out of the regulator/alternator circuit. I drained the oil and removed the screen and found this

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=707345&thumb=1

That's right, nothing, not a speck of metal, same as the magnetic plug!

While installing a new drain plug so that I could safety wire it, I found these markings on the bottom of the cases:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=707353&thumb=1

Is that a marking from someone who may have split the cases and done work on this bike?

What I would like to know is, does anyone recognize those marks and know any history of this bike? I am beginning to think that given the condition of the bike and motor, at some point some major work was done to it.

Here's what I can tell you:
Sold new in Cleveland, Ohio (West Side). Original owner kept it for about 10 years and he was the one that did any and all work to it. It has an HMF exhaust (read up on HMF, they were the original builder for Fast By Ferracci exhaust systems), Speedy Moto pressure plate and clutch cover and some minor CF pieces like heel guards, chain guard and heat shield. The left side lower fairing was either replaced with new or repainted as the color is ever so slightly different from the other panels and it does not have the protective film on the bottom. It was traded in at a now defunct Cleveland Harley dealer in late 2011 or early 2012.

Owner 2 bought summer of 2012 and rode about 2500 miles and said he did nothing other than change the oil and put in a battery. He said he never had a problem with it and was selling because he had recently bought a very nice 1098

I bought in August 2015 and did the above mentioned maintenance work and replaced all of the aftermarket CF with original. If you recognize those initials on the cases or know any history on the bike, I would appreciate hearing from you and knowing more about what I have and what may have been done with it.

As for my use of the bike, I am off to the track this weekend. It's a safer place to ride than on public roads.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=707369&thumb=1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I have had my 2001 996S for about 9 months now. I wanted and found a very original bike without excessive modification or wear and tear. I also read over 300 forum threads so as to prepare myself for the ownership experience. I bought it on Ebay and generally took the seller at his word, "The bike is very clean, runs well, never had any problems".

The most amazing aspect of ownership so far has been how right he was. The bike looks very good and pulls very hard and it has almost 16,000 miles. I changed the brake pads (about 40%) worn, new clutch plates (same wear as brakes), changed the belts, checked the valves (all within spec), replaced some rubber like the solenoid holders and airbox seal, installed metal fuel disconnects and finally cut the burnt connector out of the regulator/alternator circuit. I drained the oil and removed the screen and found this

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=707345&thumb=1

That's right, nothing, not a speck of metal, same as the magnetic plug!

While installing a new drain plug so that I could safety wire it, I found these markings on the bottom of the cases:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=707353&thumb=1

Is that a marking from someone who may have split the cases and done work on this bike?

What I would like to know is, does anyone recognize those marks and know any history of this bike? I am beginning to think that given the condition of the bike and motor, at some point some major work was done to it.

Here's what I can tell you:
Sold new in Cleveland, Ohio (West Side). Original owner kept it for about 10 years and he was the one that did any and all work to it. It has an HMF exhaust (read up on HMF, they were the original builder for Fast By Ferracci exhaust systems), Speedy Moto pressure plate and clutch cover and some minor CF pieces like heel guards, chain guard and heat shield. The left side lower fairing was either replaced with new or repainted as the color is ever so slightly different from the other panels and it does not have the protective film on the bottom. It was traded in at a now defunct Cleveland Harley dealer in late 2011 or early 2012.

Owner 2 bought summer of 2012 and rode about 2500 miles and said he did nothing other than change the oil and put in a battery. He said he never had a problem with it and was selling because he had recently bought a very nice 1098

I bought in August 2015 and did the above mentioned maintenance work and replaced all of the aftermarket CF with original. If you recognize those initials on the cases or know any history on the bike, I would appreciate hearing from you and knowing more about what I have and what may have been done with it.

As for my use of the bike, I am off to the track this weekend. It's a safer place to ride than on public roads.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=707369&thumb=1
I have owned/taken part 2 desmo engines and both had handmade numbers on the bottom. I assumed that was just a way to identify matched case halves

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not much to add here except that I met Hans (Owner of HMF) while racing at Nelson Ledges back in the 2000's, he was an absolute gentleman, and I was glad to have bought an exhaust for my bike from him.

The 996 looks awesome! Have fun!

Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts