Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a very nerdy question but do any of you knowledgeable wizards out there know what changes have been made to the Ducati superbike 999cc engine since its release in 2002?

I've been told the valves are different on the 2006 engine compared to the original one but what else has been altered? And what are the estimated effects of the changes?

The more technical details the merrier :)

Thanks, fellas!

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
The largest diffrence in the engine is probably cams for the 2005 model.. The R got a shorter stroke engine aswell.

But Ducati really makes 3 diffrent engines depending on if you look at the Biposte, S or R 999-models. You also state a 999cc engine, which is only the R-model. the Biposte and S run a 998cc engine.

So you´ll need to be more precise in your question, exactly which bike are you looking at?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
amullo said:
So you´ll need to be more precise in your question, exactly which bike are you looking at?
I believe stating 999cc is rather specific, amullo. To my knowledge, only the 998R and the subsequent 999Rs have 999cc engines. The 996R and the other 999 models have 998cc engines.

I'd really like to know what changes have been made to the 999cc engine since it was first released in 2002 (998R).

Unfortunately, the ducati website reveals no such information. Or rather, if it does I haven't been able to find it.

I thought I'd ask you guys because the amount of technical knowledge some of you hold on Ducatis is nothing short of amazing!

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts