Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a multi day trip this coming weekend and was just curious if what people did about taking along spare keys.

Do you hide a spare set on your bike? If so do you take the red or black keys?

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Good thinking!!!

Yes, any ride which is more than a couple hours from home dictates a spare key. I keep mine secured in either my pants or jacket. Use the black keys and leave the red key at home. If you don't have two black keys, use the red key to have another black made.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone actually hide them on the bike iteself? Seems like that makes more practical sense in case you run out the door without your jacket or tank bag?

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
I was taught to never carry keys in a jacket or pants for fear that they can deliver a puncture would in the event of an accident. I carrried my spare keys in a hard leather magazine (as in small pistol) holster on my belt. During my accident in May, the magazine holster was smashed and I lost the keys; so I would have to agree with those who carry them in a hiding place on the bike.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I was taught to never carry keys in a jacket or pants for fear that they can deliver a puncture would in the event of an accident. I carrried my spare keys in a hard leather magazine (as in small pistol) holster on my belt. During my accident in May, the magazine holster was smashed and I lost the keys; so I would have to agree with those who carry them in a hiding place on the bike.
That's a damn good point. My pants have a small pocket just below the belt line in the front. There just happens to be a real important artery right behind that point. That dagger-shaped ducati key could fire right into that bad boy; you'd bleed out in no time.

Thanks for the iniput.

·
Registered
183 Posts
where do you keep the magazine?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I have a similar small leather "pouch" glued to the lower-inside of the fairing. You have to pull the 2 dzus "D" fasteners and let the fairing "wing out" a bit to find it down there. I secured it to the fairing with Shoo-goo...... quite amazing stuff for fastening dis-similar materials. Survives hot environments as well.

Also I have the "card" number retained in my cell phone as a phone number.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a similar small leather "pouch" glued to the lower-inside of the fairing. You have to pull the 2 dzus "D" fasteners and let the fairing "wing out" a bit to find it down there. I secured it to the fairing with Shoo-goo...... quite amazing stuff for fastening dis-similar materials. Survives hot environments as well.

Also I have the "card" number retained in my cell phone as a phone number.
ahhh...good thinking.....refresh my memory on what the card number does? Can ducati make a key from it?

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
where do you keep the magazine?
I kept the magazine holster holding the keys on the belt of the pants that I wore under my outer riding pants. Unfortunately, that was my point of impact when I had my highside in California. The magazine holster was smashed and the spare keys lost, but I received no puncture wounds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A very good post

Great answers and suggestions on what would seem a very simple question. I have never carried a spare key but all this discussion will have me reconsidering. Once again the forum shines.

·
Registered
920 Posts
For quite a few years now I've carried a spare key in a leather pouch around my neck, under my shirt. The leather should stop any possible punctures, I'm hoping. I've carried keys in my pockets as well. Now I'll have to think of a better solution.

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
Great answers and suggestions on what would seem a very simple question. I have never carried a spare key but all this discussion will have me reconsidering. Once again the forum shines.
The side bag keys are especially prone to breaking on the first day of a multi day road trip. Guess how I know?

·
Registered
126 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts