Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've been riding bikes for a good while but it's been a long time since I really got my hands dirty with a bike. But I plan on keeping my Streetfighter 848 long-term so I'm going to get back into doing any and all work myself.
I was just wondering how many of you take the tools to your rides and have you had any big issues when doing so?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I do all my own servicing except valve adjustments. Ducati NYC only charges $550 or something like that for valve adjustments only. The whole service is around $1800.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm on the same page as Trance. I only just got mine, but plan on performing all but the valve adjustments myself. If you take your time and do it correctly you'll probably grow a greater appreciation for the bike.

And it puts hair on your chest >:]

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm on a Superbike 848 (so not much different, especially engine-wise), and do all my own servicing, so far - that's 2 minor and 1 major service.

Valve adjustments are surprisingly easy, I thought. The 848 was my first liquid-cooled engine, and all my bike engines before that were pushrod-driven with hydraulic self-adjusting tappets (air-cooled Buells), so a bit of a learning curve for me with that.

Otherwise, the whole process was far less daunting that I was expecting.

If you are in any way mechanically inclined, and not scared to read up on a few dozen posts of being doing it, or watch as many youtube videos of people doing it as you can find, then I reckon it's a good way to save yourself some money.

I also trust my own work far more than a dealer or mechanic, but that's another story...

Cheers!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Since my stable has gown to 4, I started a while back, buying specific tools and equipment in order to support all the maintenance needs I would have. I think if a person has a reasonable amount of mechanical knowledge and ability, they should be able to handle most of the required tasks. For the price of a complete 4V service, one could equip their work space with all the tools/equipment needed. I highly recommend the purchase of a motorcycle lift in which to work from, this is worth its weight, I now have two of them. This may not be for everyone but I do enjoy my time in the shop.

Uli

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have a Bevel Twin, and have done all my own work since new in 1974. Even painted it. Hate having "other people" work on my bike.

Reactions: Rob Ash

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I do my own work, but doing it has been progressive. I started riding in 1998, and the dealer did everything for me except oil changes. Once I got a Ducati, I had to learn as there was NO ONE that would work on it. Some called it a 'black art' others said they didn't have the tools. I'm glad that I learned though. I much more confident spinning the wrenches now, and I'm pretty confident regarding diagnosing. The Ducati has made me more confident with my other bikes too. I need to do a valve clearance check on my Aprilia Falco and my YZF600R is coming due too. Having done my 996, I look at those and think (using Jeremy Clarkson's voice) "How hard could it be?"

Get a Haynes manual. Watch tons of videos of the task at hand. Armed with that knowledge, you'll know if you have the tools handy and what complexities you're willing to accept doing on your own.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have always done my own work on all of my bikes from dirt bikes to
road bikes as I got older. I always look at it this way I can do it myself
and know its done right or pay some one and hope its done right. Of
course we all have different Mechanical abilities.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do all my own servicing except valve adjustments. Ducati NYC only charges $550 or something like that for valve adjustments only. The whole service is around $1800.
Sounds like you guys get ripped off almost as much as we do in the UK. ;o)

I don't have much experience in cracking open bike engines, but I'm certainly up for giving everything a go with the Fighter. It's been far too long since I got my hands dirty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm on the same page as Trance. I only just got mine, but plan on performing all but the valve adjustments myself. If you take your time and do it correctly you'll probably grow a greater appreciation for the bike.

And it puts hair on your chest >:]
I used to do a lot of work on my bikes, but have had a lot of new bikes in recent years so no work was needed before I sold them on. You're definitely right, doing your own spanner work definitely makes you feel more at one with your steed. :wink2:

I could do with a bit more hair on my chest. :grin2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are in any way mechanically inclined, and not scared to read up on a few dozen posts of being doing it, or watch as many youtube videos of people doing it as you can find, then I reckon it's a good way to save yourself some money.

I also trust my own work far more than a dealer or mechanic, but that's another story...

Cheers!
I spent a lot of times working on my bikes, when I was a bit younger, but drifted away from doing it. Now I want to get back into it in a big way. I am quite mechanically minded, but more so I love to tinker and find out exactly how things go together and how they work.

The main reason I joined this forum was to find first hand knowledge. I've found the bike's handbook to contradict itself. So I bought a download of the workshop manual, but there are things in it that are just plain wrong! So it's quite hard to know exactly what's right when working on the bike.

Thanks mate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since my stable has gown to 4, I started a while back, buying specific tools and equipment in order to support all the maintenance needs I would have. I think if a person has a reasonable amount of mechanical knowledge and ability, they should be able to handle most of the required tasks. For the price of a complete 4V service, one could equip their work space with all the tools/equipment needed. I highly recommend the purchase of a motorcycle lift in which to work from, this is worth its weight, I now have two of them. This may not be for everyone but I do enjoy my time in the shop.

Uli
I have to admit I love to lock myself in the garage and tinker, when I get the chance.

I don't have a bench lift, but I did just buy an Abba Skylift especially for the Fighter. I felt a little nervous using it for the first time, but now I love it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do my own work, but doing it has been progressive. I started riding in 1998, and the dealer did everything for me except oil changes. Once I got a Ducati, I had to learn as there was NO ONE that would work on it. Some called it a 'black art' others said they didn't have the tools. I'm glad that I learned though. I much more confident spinning the wrenches now, and I'm pretty confident regarding diagnosing. The Ducati has made me more confident with my other bikes too. I need to do a valve clearance check on my Aprilia Falco and my YZF600R is coming due too. Having done my 996, I look at those and think (using Jeremy Clarkson's voice) "How hard could it be?"

Get a Haynes manual. Watch tons of videos of the task at hand. Armed with that knowledge, you'll know if you have the tools handy and what complexities you're willing to accept doing on your own.
I looked for a Haynes manual but they don't seem to make one. :crying:
I bought a specific Streetfighter workshop manual (download) but there is info in it that is just wrong. I'm now starting to wonder if it's actually a legit document.
I'm always happy to buy new tools. :wink2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have always done my own work on all of my bikes from dirt bikes to
road bikes as I got older. I always look at it this way I can do it myself
and know its done right or pay some one and hope its done right. Of
course we all have different Mechanical abilities.
I prefer to do my own work because I don't see why I should let someone else have all the fun.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Started wrenching in 67' at age 15 on my first car. First motorcycle at 16. Never taken anything anywhere except a machine shop and tire shop before I got equipped.

You can do anything you want to learn and get equipped for. But don't do it if you are willing to compromise on quality or safety. You should be willing to start over again is it isn't going well. For example, take on the DESMO adjustment and do it poorly and you can damage your engine or have to repeat the process on an accelerated schedule. If you are not organized and find yourself sitting in front of a bunch of parts scratching your chin, with no photo record of the disassembly, it will not be pleasant having to approach someone to clean up your mess. Even not knowing where a wire or a hose goes can send you back to a forum to ask for help. Study the job, measure as necessary while you disassemble and take a lot of pictures, Get help if you get in over your head. Follow those rules and you are on your way to great satisfaction and in the case of Ducati, a lot of money kept in your pocket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm ready for my 15K services. What is the best service manual(s) to get if the download version is not 100% accurate. A buddy of mine said just do the belts. It is likely the valves do not need adjustment. Currently my starter motor is dead and ordering one now. Just need a good manual before tackle the belts and valves. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I have always done my own work, though there may be things on my newer bikes I might not be qualified to fix. Two new things that help a lot; taking pics with my iPad in place of the memory I no longer have, and YouTube videos of most any repair. My cycle lift is a big plus too.

Reactions: Rob Ash
1 - 20 of 28 Posts