Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Do you commute on your Duc?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just interested in knowing if any of you commute on your ducs? I don't see very many on the roads every day. And with the way every dealership has looked at us when we mention that we commute, I'm beginning to think that we are in the extreme minority.

So who here commutes?

;)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Only when the weather cooperates for me means above freezing and not actively raining.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
even though I checked everyday rider regardless of weather...I am also more like sometimes because I don't ride in the snow and I haven't been riding for the last couple of months because my back has not allowed it during the healing process....but otherwise...I do normally ride everyday!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
migz123 said:
You forgot to add an important option: "Sometimes" ;)

eh - I guess I considered it, but thought it fell under the 'only when the weather is right' category....lol

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zooom said:
even though I checked everyday rider regardless of weather...I am also more like sometimes because I don't ride in the snow and I haven't been riding for the last couple of months because my back has not allowed it during the healing process....but otherwise...I do normally ride everyday!

snow?

what's that?

hehehe

·
Registered
234 Posts
i ride to work but sometimes i get excited and don't check the weather beforehand(cuz we all know the weatherperson never makes a mistake,lol) so I have been stuck in the rain and even a hailstorm once...so i try not to ride if the weather isn't going to cooperate!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I chose "Never" as I am not willing to waste perfectly good, soft rubber on the superslab. I will ride one of my Ducatis into work if I haven't had the chance to ride it in the mountains, just to charge the battery, get it up to temp, and circulate the fluids, but I'd probably never commute with them for the sake of commuting (not even the ST). For my daily, boring commute to-and-from work, I choose my car or my Harley. Any other riding, especailly when curves are involved, I take a Duc. I just couldn't torture my Ducatis on these flat, straight, and boring roads.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm a pretty regular rider outside of winter. Too cold, too much snow up here.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I commute whenever it stays above freezing and there is no snow or ice on the roads. Usually the Kaw in colder weather and the Duc when it warms up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
duc97sp1 said:
...and with the price of gas inching up towards $3.00/gallon again!! 45mpg on a bike beats the hell out of 13 in my truck! So I'll be riding/commuting as much as possible. I have a couple of routes to/from work that add 10-15 miles each way and make for a great way to start & end the day. :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
JDuc said:
I'm just interested in knowing if any of you commute on your ducs? I don't see very many on the roads every day. And with the way every dealership has looked at us when we mention that we commute, I'm beginning to think that we are in the extreme minority.

So who here commutes?

;)
When it's running I do. That's a large part of the reason my FE had 38,000 miles on it when I sold it.

Now that my only Duc is a superbike, I'm much less likely to want to rack up the miles, chiefly because of the short valve adjustment interval. Hopefully when I'm next due for an adjustment I'll be able to afford a set of MBP colletts to increase the maintenance interval. Until then I'm 90% commuting on the Beemer. (47,500 miles and counting)

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
No. I'm retired! :D But when I did work I commuted on my Duc (or my BMW) almost every day - that was above freezing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't mind the cold, as long as there's no actual snow on the ground. Usually here in portland it's only really cold (about 20 this winter) when it's dry, so no problem. I would rather ride in freezing weather than through fog at any temperature.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
heh - I guess this is one reason I love my 2v so much and don't think I'll ever be able to not have one.

I've put over 12,000 miles on my bike in 10 months....and these last few months have been hell...we went on our first actual ride in 3 months!

soon to change though, ride down to the hill country (1500 miles?) for the wedding, then up to arkansas for 5 days....(2500 miles?)....:)

I just can't imagine commuting in the car. Perfectly good rubber or not, commuting in the car is torture when I have to do it. Car rubber is a heck of a lot more expensive, as is the wear and tear and maintenance....:) Then there's that whole gas thing

now if only I could list the bike as my primary mode of transportation and put the car as a secondary....lol

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
I use my 853 for commuting in Los Angeles, weather is rarely bad, so not a factor for me. Though if I had a MS or ST I wouldnt mind the rain or bad weather. Its just that LA drivers are 10 times worse when its raining!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts