Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 2006 999s is up for its 6000 mile service... no need for belts till 12,000 miles... wrong 2-years has passed so I need them anyway...
Is this a bit of a servicing con or do we really need to change them..? Modern cars do a 100,000 on a set of belts.. its hard to beleive we work them so hard we need to change them sixteen times more often....
The problem is the service manager says.. well you can leave them but can you afford to be wrong... hell of a sales pitch...

·
Registered
387 Posts
but a car certainly sees 5,000 rpm on a regular basis, and barring some strange exponential/geometric relationship between engine speed and belt wear, car belts last disproportionately longer. If a Ducati runs at 10k on a regular basis and gets 12k miles per belt, and a car runs at 5k, ut should get 24k miles per belt...but that's only a fraction of what they usually get.

I'm not "doggin" Ducatis so please don't take offense--I'm truly curious.

·
9,757 Posts
but a car certainly sees 5,000 rpm on a regular basis, and barring some strange exponential/geometric relationship between engine speed and belt wear, car belts last disproportionately longer. If a Ducati runs at 10k on a regular basis and gets 12k miles per belt, and a car runs at 5k, ut should get 24k miles per belt...but that's only a fraction of what they usually get.

I'm not "doggin" Ducatis so please don't take offense--I'm truly curious.
There is a disproportionate relationship between engine speed and wear. It's not a 1:1 relationship. You can visualize it graphed as a slope as opposed to a straight line.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well my 2006 999s is up for its 6000 mile service... no need for belts till 12,000 miles... wrong 2-years has passed so I need them anyway...
Is this a bit of a servicing con or do we really need to change them..? Modern cars do a 100,000 on a set of belts.. its hard to beleive we work them so hard we need to change them sixteen times more often....
The problem is the service manager says.. well you can leave them but can you afford to be wrong... hell of a sales pitch...
I too would love a definitive answer on this:

However, one probable reason is cars run much larger diameter pulleys than Ducati does, so based on minimum bending radius, it is logical that the belts on the Ducati will last much less time as they will generate much more heat than those on a car due to the additional flexing required to navigate the tight radius pulleys. Also recognise that some Ducati models have a dedicated belt cooling intake vent (think 999R) to enable race sppeds to be maintained.

Note however no all cars are equal, I had to change the belt on my wife's Mazda at 100,000 km, however a Ferrari states 60,000 km or 3 years and I know from personal experience that both cars run similar sized pulleys, the Ferrari revs much higher though, so there must be something in the revs too.

Andrew...

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Warning.....warning.....warning......

WARNING - This subject has been beat to death. The search function must be broke. Proceed with caution! ;)

You don't *HAVE* to do anything. There are consequences for every decision you make, though.

BTW, I know a guy who went 22k miles and 7 years with a 998 without having the valves checked or changing the belts. I wouldn't do that. Maybe you would. I tend to stick to the 12k miles or every 3-4 years. I figure at 12k, regardless of the number of years, I'm taking the belts off to do the valves, anyway, so I may as well just slip new belts on the bike instead of the old, used ones.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'm a 12k (no time limit) guy as long as I run the bike on a somewhat regular basis....that's my risk profile for what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Change the subject to:
Do we really need to post this question so often?"

Don't change the belts if you don't want to. I'm sure Ducati just recommended the service because that's the number that came up on the random number generator.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was told the newer style belts have red printing on them and the older style had white. FYI.

Flash

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
here is my 2 cents.
wear and tear are not linear. It increases a higher rate when compared to time or speed. Motorcycle engines rev higher.
The pulleys on Ducs are smaller, which potentially increases wear due to sharper bends.
This is my theory. Engine heat is another one. Ducs produce a lot of heat. Most cars, that still use belts, have the belts in front so there is constant cooling as long as the car is moving. Our belts being on the side, may not get as much airflow as cars. This scenario is worse for those with full fairings.

If you want to save money on belt jobs, it is a very easy DIY.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Do ya feel lucky ---- well do ya punk??

IMO:)

Remember: It’s an interference engine -- what’s cheaper if you wait and the belts decide to break? They may last longer but it WILL become a gamble regardless if they do or can last longer!

As for the belts being in front of a car engine for cooling (with a cover over it?).. that doesn’t apply to MOST front wheel drive Transverse engines which puts the belts on the side, just like the Duc.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
pls change the belts
and lube the chain, change the oil and filter often, replace the brake fluid ever 2 years, check your tyre pressure regularly, change the coolant every 2 years, have the valve clearance checked when scheduled.

or

buy a jap bike, no one will care then :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I was told by Scott over at Motoservicio here in So. Cal that anything newer than 2001 came with a newer style belt (material wise) that is stronger and doesn't need replacing as often. He recommended every 6 years or 7 if the mileage was down.
I've an 01 and it came with the Kevlar reinforced belts - if that's the newer style you're talking about. 6-7yrs is pretty crazy.

I got a Ducati and I must pay the price. I follow the maintenance schedule .

·
Registered
71 Posts
12K, or two years. I assume they are thinking about the hardening of rubber, and dry rot that starts to happen in the inside teeth part of any timing belt. Its a failsafe method and not really worth discussing. The gearing and area around the belts have to be checked anyway.
Might as well change um while your in that deep.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts